Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2005 9:36:02 AM EDT
I am looking for a ccw gun for my wife.  She is not a gun person, but she can shoot.  I'm not sure about her ability to function an auto if she has a malfunction.  I have a 5 shot 357 snub nose for her to carry.  Is that the right gun? She does not like to shoot it, but I told her if you really have to shoot someone yor not going to care how the gun feels.  What gun do ya'll recommend? She is 5' 8" 135.
So it can't be a large gun. Baby glock or mini XD? Please help!
Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have her carry whatever she is comfortable with as far as knowing how to make the gun function.  If she is proficient with a semi-auto and that is what she wants, go with that.  Many of the women that I have helped with this issue were more comfortable with a revolver (with the main exception being my wife, who will carry nothing but a 1911).  

What is her reason for not "liking" to shoot the .357?  The function?  The noise?  The recoil?  The last thing that you want is for her to be scared of the gun she is carrying.  

Brian
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife is a tough cookie and her first CCW Gun was an inexpensive Taurus M85 five shot 38.  It is a great shooting gun but lately I have been less secure about society in general so we have upgraded many of our CCW and self defence guns.  For my wife, that meant moving from her 5-shot 38 to a Glock 26 with it's 10-rd 9mm mags.

She has no trouble working any of my guns including the Glock 30 or Glock 21.  The Glock 26 is a nice compact gun and she loves it...
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Well we went to SM gun shop in gun nazi controled, I mean good old, Eugene OR. She liked the Taurus Mil .45 acp and the 9mm Kahr and the 9mm keltec. hat

Well she doesn't like the recoil and the way it fits her. She does like my XD 40.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
How will she be carrying?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Pures or pocket.  I would want her to carry IWB but she won't so were looking at a keltec or revolver.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I am thinking about a Kahr K9 or P9 for my wife. I plan to let her try both and get the one she likes better. We will then shoot the shit out of it to make sure its reliable before she carries it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pures or pocket.  I would want her to carry IWB but she won't so were looking at a keltec or revolver.

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to speak before making sure.  If she is recoil-sensitive, she will not like the Kel-Tec (unless you are going with the P32).  Why doesn't she carry the revolver you already have, but loaded with .38s?  It's better than nothing.  The money you had planned to spend on a new firearm could be wisely invested in a defensive training class.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest getting her a gun she likes to shoot.  If she does not like small revolvers, then she would probably not be inclined to carry it.  The baby Glocks can be very difficult to shoot unless your hands are real small.  I have a model 27 and it's touhger to manipulate than any of my other Glocks.  I would have her handle a Glock model 19 or 23.  Glocks are the most no b.s. reliable autoloaders out there based on my experience and training.  The baby Glocks with the plus 2 extensions on them are not any smaller than a model 19 or 23.  In training classes most of the women that work with who shoot the Glocks do very well, hell some of them out shoot the men.  If she gets something that SHE likes, then she will be more likley to train with it and carry it.  Take her to a range where she can shoot different pistols and find one she likes, it will be money well spent.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm fortunate to be a CCW Instructor. I have tried most everything for my wife. it's just a matter of enough gun that she can hit where she aims it. Mine did notg like a snubby, of which I wholly recomend unless one shoots AND CLEANS their semi auto weekly, just too much to go wrong. We were in the gun safe the other nite, and i handed her my Glock seventeen. she asked about the safety, and i showed her the trigger detent. after testing the trigger, she said she preferred it to having to mess with the safety on her Walther PPKS 32 acp. so now I have 2 guns she can handle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Smith 432PD. Its an airweight, 32 mag so its got about the same knockdown power as the 38 but holds an extra round (6) as oposed to the 38.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:27:19 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife has trouble racking the slide on the first time with my pistols so a revolver is the way to go for her!  So Smith or Tarrus J-frame.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Connie carries a SW airwieght in 38(642 I think), with Crimson Trace grips, she loves the gun, likes to shoot it and is very good with it, with iron sights or the CT.

I would not recomend a semi auto for a newbie...........be it a guy or a gal. Revolver go BOOM everytime.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am looking for a ccw gun for my wife.  She is not a gun person, but she can shoot.  I'm not sure about her ability to function an auto if she has a malfunction.  I have a 5 shot 357 snub nose for her to carry.  Is that the right gun? She does not like to shoot it, but I told her if you really have to shoot someone yor not going to care how the gun feels.  What gun do ya'll recommend? She is 5' 8" 135.
So it can't be a large gun. Baby glock or mini XD? Please help!
Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat!

My girlfriend doesnt like my .38 special S+W because it kicks too much. She can hit anything with my XD.

I am looking to get her a Kahr or a mini xd for her to carry, I think I will get the Kahr though.

Here's one for you..

"If guns kill people then I can blame bad checks on my pen."
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Get her something she is comfortable with and then practice, practice, practice...... You know!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#16]
IMO any semiauto is a poor choice unless carried cocked & locked. if your attacted, and even one hand is incapitated, IE broken, gunshot or in most cases slashed, it's all but impossible to rack a slide. I don't want to get the mode of carry issue stirred up, because any semi made has at least one holster made for it with a thumb break to eliminate an AD.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Yor revolver is good, but  If it does not have a boot grip, you might want an Nframe 38 in stainless.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:26:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
 The baby Glocks can be very difficult to shoot unless your hands are real small.
The baby Glocks with the plus 2 extensions (and a barrel extention?)on them are not any smaller than a model 19 or 23.    .

You, sir, are a fount of information.....
I've carried one since they came out and I'm 6'1", 230#. No problem.
................................... G19 ................................ G26
Barrel length............ 4.01" ..................................3.46
length...................... 6.85"  ...................................  6.29
height........................4.88"..................................4.17 (with ext maybe the same....don't have time to argue all day.)
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey Helobravo, I was reffering to the magazine extension tough guy.  I am not aware of any barrel extentions so I am not sure you pulled that one from (put down the SWAT magazine and get out to the range).  My point is that a sub-compact Glock with a +2 MAGAZINE extenstion on it is not much smaller than a compact Glock without an extension.  Your mesurements prove my point that the sub compact Glocks are not much smaller than the compacts.   Other than being a troll who is not familiar with magazine vernacular, your point is?  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#20]
The first thing she needs is professional instruction, like a class at a local range.  Preferably somewhere that will allow her to rent different guns to try.
The pistol is a tool.  You pick the one that is comfortable and fits your hand and your mission requirements.
Just my $.02
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#21]
See your friends, go to gun ranges that allow rentals.  Have her shoot whatever you can get HER hands on.  Choose different ammo and such.  Make sure she's comfortable and then let her carry whatever gun she will ACTUALLY carry and enjoy.  Sorry for the caps, my wife has the same issues about asking advice and then not listening.  More than anything she has to like the gun and accessories.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I've found the easiest way for a man to pick a gun for his SO is to stay out of it!  Find a dealer you can trust, drop her off and let her decide w/o any pressure from you.  That way she can finger all of them herself, with some pointers from the dealer.YMMV, but all too often guys intimidate their wives into a bad decision in firearm selection.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#23]
great posts guys. but just think that if the woman gets in a situation where she has to shoot somebody it is not going to be an old western OK coral shoot out. she will find herself in a bad situation,seconds will count and she will have to draw, point, and pull the trigger all the while trying to get the hell out of the area;simplicity and function will serve her best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top