Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 6:32:40 AM EDT
What type of grip slipover or decal should I get for a G17?

I'm thinking about just using bike tire inner tube, but will that be good enough?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:50:29 AM EDT
I find glock grips to be big enough, so I don't like the ones that add thickness. I like the skateboard tape. If you want some extra "meat" though I'd go for the innertube.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:01:48 AM EDT
I dont have one on my Glock 26 but my friend has a Hogue on his Sig which feels nice
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:24:00 AM EDT
I'm leaning towards the Hogue as well. The 1st and 2nd Gen Glock owners experienced slippage so they used hairspray to hold it still... but I heard that the 3rd Gen Glocks with the finger grooves will actually fit inside the finger grooves of the Hogues. I have a Hogue grip for my AR-15 and if its the same type of feel/material, then I think I'll like it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:02:30 AM EDT
What size innertube should you get for the G29?
Has anyone tried an innertube?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:44:00 AM EDT
3M grip tape is what I use, it comes in two types, the gray stuff that's meant for bathtubs and showers, and the rougher black stuff that's meant for concrete and stairs. I use the black stuff, it's very rough and even if you're hands are sweaty or oily they won't slip. Almost any hardware store carries it on narrow (1") and wide (3" or 4") rolls. It's sticky back and enough to do one full sized glock is a buck or two. I've got it on both my glocks and both my Kel-tecs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:50:30 AM EDT
I'm looking for something that gives a softer/gentler grip rather than more friction. The checkering starts becoming little torture-like pins after awhile.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:37:28 AM EDT
I had Hogue grips on a couple of my 3rd generations. I noticed that they slipped up the grip and interfered with the mag release. I have since swithced to the rubber Decal Grip and have been happy with the product.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:33:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
but I heard that the 3rd Gen Glocks with the finger grooves will actually fit inside the finger grooves of the Hogues.

I put a Hogue on my new G30. The finger grooves fit nicely in the Hogue and seem to make it fit more secure so I'm assuming this will prevent the slippage some people have had. I like the way it feels and it fits my hand much better now. I've never tried the bike tube trick, but that seems like a good idea.

FYI: Take the Hogue into consideration if you're going to CCW your pistol. The rubber will "hold" your cover garment under certain conditions and could cause you to print. I suspect this would also be an issue with the tube as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:17:54 AM EDT
Hogue on my G29 feels nice

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:53:28 AM EDT
I don't see how the Hogue can stay put (absolutely)? I will try the inner tube and see how that works... The checkering for the pinky area digs into my finger when I shoot and I have a callous/bruise to prove it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:00:40 PM EDT
Inner tube works great. Just wash it first with soap and water, for whatever reason those things stink. I use the inner tubes for the toddlers bike, 12" i think. Some guys spray a little hair spray on the grip of the glock to help slide it on. Best thing to do though is try several different ones and see what works best for you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:13:54 AM EDT
I bought the 18" Juvenile tire tube, and it was kind of a tight fit at first, but I used liquid soap as lubricant. It sort of gets absorbed into the rubber and eventually dries out.

I cut the first piece too short so I added a small second piece. I just wanted to see how it fit/felt and its actually quite good. The checkering kills my pinky when I grip the pistol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:01:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 3:03:38 AM EDT by gotm4]

Originally Posted By metroplex:
What type of grip slipover or decal should I get for a G17?

I'm thinking about just using bike tire inner tube, but will that be good enough?

I don't like making my Glocks grip any bigger. I use this on my G17, G31 used in USPSA and IDPA and as soon as I get my other two GSSF prizes (G34 and G35) they wear it too. I put it on my wifes G19 and the G32 that I won and gave to her.

This stuff is awesome!


Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:32:41 AM EDT
The inner tube was $3. I think there's enough material to make grip covers for about 8-9 Glock 17s. I know the tape is probably more tactical, but I will try out the inner tube method for awhile and see how I like it. I can get a comfortable grip w/o the checkering digging into my skin (big positive).
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:55:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 1:56:46 PM EDT by 1MissouriMule]
My naked Glock grip is more than big enough.
I don't like the slippery feeling I get with my naked Glock either.
I don't like the decal grip...
I don't like sandpaper on my guns...
I haven't tried the inner tube...

That being said the A-Grip works very well for me on my G36!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:03:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:14:43 PM EDT
Four guys had slip on grips on their guns (mostly Glock) in my Tactical Handgun Course.

ALL of them dumped the units w/in an hour.

If you are really using your gun, they slide down and jam up the magwell.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:47:08 AM EDT
I use AGrip, www.brookstactical.com/. Doesn't move at all and provide better grip when my hands are sweaty.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:08:45 AM EDT
tried the hogue and it made the grip too big and didnt feel as sturdy with it.

dumped the hogue and now its runs with nothing.
Top Top