Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2005 6:26:34 AM EDT
OK folks, quick question.  If you were going to buy one Glock for concealed carry which one would it be and why?  I realize that these are always subjective answers but they are still helpful.  

My thoughts are like this:

19 - 9mm which means more ammo in the tank, cheaper to practice with and you can still get  ammo that performs well to carry.

23 - 40 S&W which has slightly less ammo but with more power.  

30 - 45 ACP what more needs to be said?  lol  10 rounds of 45 in your pocket has to make you feel pretty good I would imagine.  

Thanks for your comments.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoulda been a poll, but G19.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the 22 and the 27 in 40 S&W.  I get more CCW mileage out of the 27 because of its compact size.  A good friend has the 23 and 27, and he carries te 27 more often than the 23.

If you're considering a midsize sidearm I'd vote for the 23, but I'm partial to 40 S&W.  My second choice would be the 30 in 45ACP.  The most important thing would be which one of the three fit your grip best, and you'd be most comfortable with.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The best Glock for CCW is the the Glock you shoot best.

Not to be a smartass, but you really owe it to yourself to go to a range or gunshop that will allow you to shoot the Glocks you have interest in. Every Glock that I have handled, felt differant from rest of them.

The G19 is a great weapon, but I seem to handle/shoot the 17 better, thus I carry a 17.

The "best CCW for me", may not be the best for you, and vise versa.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the 23 is the best mix of power and capacity. Course, I may be biased, there's a 23 on my hip now.

ETA: I had a 27 but the size difference didn't seem to make any difference in concealbility compared to the 23 and I'm a small guy (30" waist)So I got rid of it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Which Glock for CCW and you dont even list the ones they built just for that?

Anyways, G27.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The G19 is king.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]
G30, you don't need tons of ammo when you are shooting a .45.  Mine goes everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want the most concealability and least weight, and if you plan to carry in a pocket or in an ankle rig, the certainly go with the G26 /G27. If you dont need that type of "ultra" concealability, I would go with the G19 / G23 for the added capacity and velocity they offer. When wearing IWB, there is no real difference as the length doesnt matter much. The grip of the G19 / G23 may print a little more depending on what your're wearing.

If you plan on buying other Glocks, it may make sense to get the smaller G26 or G27, then get the full sized later. If it's going to be the "Do All" and maybe your only Glock, I would lean more towards the G19 / G23.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I went to a local gun show this morning and found the answer to your question. A G30 is my choice and thats what I letft the show with. Perfect for my needs and wants......

Quoted:
G30, you don't need tons of ammo when you are shooting a .45.  Mine goes everywhere.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input guys, I imagine you get these kind of questions often.  I didn't think of a poll or I would have done that!  lol  I didn't list the mini-Glocks but that's because I'm looking for a mid-size gun.  I don't have huge hands by any stretch of the imagination but the mini's just feel too small to me.  

Any other opinions?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my G30.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I love my G30.

G30 is best for CCW.
3 shots
3 feet
3 seconds
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
glock 23 or glock 29
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#14]
any of them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:10:47 AM EDT
[#15]
From the choices you gave, I would go with a G23.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#16]
The G23
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Used to carry a G27, but now carry the G19. Have a G23 and G22 but they get no carry time.

I would definitely recommend the G19 or G23. From there it depends on what caliber you want and what you feel more comfortable with.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends on the weather too. Cool/ cold climates G20 under a coat OWB when I leave FL.
G30 for the rest of the sticky summer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
G23 on your hip.

G27 on your ankle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#20]
G30 or the G19

i'm not a big fan of the .40sw

of course, i am more impartial to the G30--gonna get one next ( i carry a 1911 right now)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#21]
G30
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#22]
G26, G19, have been good ones for me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I carry the Glock 26 will probally get a G19 later but the G26 is my go to glock.  Also takes Glock 19 and Glock 17 mags and with a  A & G Grip Extension you can have the full grip that you would have if you had a glock 19 or 17 and they shoot nice too.  Also 9mm 147grain JHP is what I use in my ccw and I use the standard G26 mags when I do carry.  Both mags at the range and G19 mags when I shoot action.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Do you honestly believe that about .45?  You do realize that a 147 grain 9mm Winchester Ranger Talon round will expand to the same diameter as a 230 grain GDHP right?  Or do you have the magic bullets that kill 3 guys with one shot?

Anyway, TonyW, I vote for Glock 19  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:45:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I change my vote, G18.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:58:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my G30.

G30 is best for CCW.
3 shots
3 feet
3 seconds

The G30 is a great gun if you've got the body frame and clothing to hide it's width.  I adore the G30, but find it too bulky to wear comfortably.  Again - my preference.  I'm pretty lean so I find the G36 is the right Glock for my CCW adventures.  I wasn't too happy about the 6 round capacity so I purchased a +1 extension.  With one in the pipe, it carries the same volume of 45 Auto as my 1911 - good enough for me!  Added some night sights, a good Fobus holster, and an inside-the-pants holster for summer wear.

I also like the way the G36 handles, it's a little snappy when dumping the magazine, but at 25 yards my groups are pretty tight.  

Your thought process is good, but it's really an individual choice.  Base your decision on what you shoot well, what you wear well, and what you shoot well.  For me that was an ultra slim semi auto with no mechanical frills, high test lead, and resistant to all possible weather and precarious CCW environments.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my G30.

G30 is best for CCW.
3 shots
3 feet
3 seconds

The G30 is a great gun if you've got the body frame and clothing to hide it's width.  I adore the G30, but find it too bulky to wear comfortably.  Again - my preference.  I'm pretty lean so I find the G36 is the right Glock for my CCW adventures.  I wasn't too happy about the 6 round capacity so I purchased a +1 extension.  With one in the pipe, it carries the same volume of 45 Auto as my 1911 - good enough for me!  Added some night sights, a good Fobus holster, and an inside-the-pants holster for summer wear.

I also like the way the G36 handles, it's a little snappy when dumping the magazine, but at 25 yards my groups are pretty tight.  

Your thought process is good, but it's really an individual choice.  Base your decision on what you shoot well, what you wear well, and what you shoot well.  For me that was an ultra slim semi auto with no mechanical frills, high test lead, and resistant to all possible weather and precarious CCW environments.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.  Very helpful.  I considered the G36 but didn't like the six shot limitation either.  I wasn't aware that they made +1 extensions for the magazine.  Do they work well?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The best Glock for CCW is the the Glock you shoot best... The "best CCW for me", may not be the best for you, and vise versa...

Amen.

Quoted:
G30... Mine goes everywhere.

Unfortunately, mine shoots everywhere.

I own 8 Glocks, and the G30 is the only one that I cannot shoot well. Admittedly, I can try more and try harder, and I plan to do just that before giving up on it and getting rid of it, but it is the worst for me at this point.  I had to work hard to learn to shoot the G21s well (I have small hands), but I mastered them in less time than I have spent on the G30.  But this is a purely personal thing & YMMV, of course.

FWIW, my primary carry-gun for 10+ years has been and still is the G19.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my G30.

G30 is best for CCW.
3 shots
3 feet
3 seconds

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.  Very helpful.  I considered the G36 but didn't like the six shot limitation either.  I wasn't aware that they made +1 extensions for the magazine.  Do they work well?

I think so, it's a little awkward in the hands when the mag is empty.  There's a little play cause the cartridges aren't holding the mag taught.  But who carries an empty CCW gun anyway!

When it's loaded, it's a very tight and ergonomically perfect carry for those wanting a simple, rugged, slim, accurate, and easily concealed 45 Auto.  I'm a big fan of the G36 extension as it also adds a very stable grip on the handgun.

I'll reitterate though, that I prefer this set up.  FYI the G36 has the same slide width as the G19.  The G30 is noticably thicker - I forget the actual dimension, but when holding and comparing the two, it's noticable.  Sometimes that makes all the difference to the shooter.

I will say this....if I wasn't such an advocate for a 45 Auto CCW gun, I'd carry the G19.  My logic is that in the event that'd warrant pulling a CCW gun and killing an immediate threat....It's gonna most likely happen in the first couple shots....might as well have those two shots be a 45!!!

I didn't coin this phrase, but I love it:

"A 9mm may expand, but a 45 will never shrink!"

FWIW, I'd never part with my G17 either
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my G30.

G30 is best for CCW.
3 shots
3 feet
3 seconds

G20 10mm
1 shot
1 time
1 dead
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my G30.

G30 is best for CCW.
3 shots
3 feet
3 seconds

G20 10mm
1 shot
1 time
1 dead

Can't deny the hamburger power of the 10mm
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#32]
For ME it's the G30 for CCW.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#33]
G26 with 147 JHP ammo the best even if people say its a 45acp 9mm from 9mm 147 grain
Fed Tactical HydraShok JHP or Hornady 9mm 147 grain JHP kills better than 45 ACP go 9mm if you carry only ball ammo you are odd?  Thats my target ammo
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#34]
That teenie tiny Glock in 45 GAP.  I dont like G-Locks at all but that lil gun is impressive.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my G30.

G30 is best for CCW.
3 shots
3 feet
3 seconds

I think so, it's a little awkward in the hands when the mag is empty.  There's a little play cause the cartridges aren't holding the mag taught.  But who carries an empty CCW gun anyway!

When it's loaded, it's a very tight and ergonomically perfect carry for those wanting a simple, rugged, slim, accurate, and easily concealed 45 Auto.  I'm a big fan of the G36 extension as it also adds a very stable grip on the handgun.

I'll reitterate though, that I prefer this set up.  FYI the G36 has the same slide width as the G19.  The G30 is noticably thicker - I forget the actual dimension, but when holding and comparing the two, it's noticable.  Sometimes that makes all the difference to the shooter.

I will say this....if I wasn't such an advocate for a 45 Auto CCW gun, I'd carry the G19.  My logic is that in the event that'd warrant pulling a CCW gun and killing an immediate threat....It's gonna most likely happen in the first couple shots....might as well have those two shots be a 45!!!

I didn't coin this phrase, but I love it:

"A 9mm may expand, but a 45 will never shrink!"

FWIW, I'd never part with my G17 either

The G36 is actually thinner than the G19.  1.13" (28.5mm) vs 1.18" (30mm)
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, I narrowed my choices down to either a G23 or 30.  Went to the local range last night and rented both and have decided to get the 23.  It just fit my hand better and the slimmer profile should help with concealment.  Also with it's overall size it seems a good gun to be able to use for more than one purpose, i.e. if I get involved with IDPA.  Thanks for the input.

Now all I need is the $$$.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#37]
The G33 is my personal favorite Glock.  But I am impatiently waiting to purchase a G19.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#38]
I too have been debating which Glock for CCW.  I am about 98% positive I am going to get the 36 with the +1 ext.  I like the slim profile, the caliber and 8 rounds is OK.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I picked up a G36 yesterday as an Xmas present to myself. Our state (MI) didn't allow CCW for most peasants until 2001, but I have owned a G23 since 1994. Once it became possible to CCW, I found that the G23 was just too chunky. I'm a little guy (average size, slight stature) and while the lact of knobs, buttons and levers was nice while carrying in the summer, it felt like I had a brick in my pants.

Then it blew up. Glock replaced the frame to their credit, but they did screw up and sent me a cracked frame as a replacement. Not fun explaining to the Cop Shop what I was trying to do with all the registering of new serial #'s for the "Same" gun...

Anyway, I started carrying a Sig P232 as a compromise because it's thin, light and with +p loads, it'll do the job. But I wanted a 'real' gun that I could live with.

I was a little shocked when I got the 36 home-it has the same footprint as my damned D23! Same length, same height, just thinner. But ohhh what a difference that 1/8th inch makes.. I wore it for about 4 hours and it's less obtrusive than the G23 and less sharp corners than the SIG. It'll never be comfortable to strap a gun on, but I think this is about as good as it's going to get for me.

Dave
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#40]
G26 or G29
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my G30.

G30 is best for CCW.
3 shots
3 feet
3 seconds

They work, but I found the G36 mags w/extensions pinched my little finger and left blood blisters, both when shooting and when reloading. I also had reliability issues with the G36, not ammo related. Accuracy was exceptional, as it is in the G30.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a Glock 30 but the thing is getting alittle bulky and heavy for me.  I dont want to go with a Glock 36 because of the reliability issues people have experienced.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I really don't see how a 9mm could be a better stopper than a .45.  Unless you are carring +p, 9mm 147gr gets about 950 or so FPS, thats the same as a non +p 230gr 45.  More weight is better, concidering that they are moving roughly the same speed.  Now, add velocity by choosing a fast round, and 9mm might gain an advantage, but then again.......if someone is confident in their CCW, that is the MOST important thing.  If you like the round, you will shoot the gun.  If you shoot the gun, then you will be comfortable with it.  If you ever have to use it, then you will be proficient with it.  so.....Get a gun in a caliber that you like and SHOOT IT!

Personally, I am in the process of moving to 9mm, except for my nightstand gun (.45 HK full size) because it's cheaper to shoot.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:55:54 AM EDT
[#44]
The gun you carry is better then the one you leave at home. No matter what the caliber.

Pick one that you can shoot well.
Pick one you can carry comfortably.
Train with the one you pick. (Practice)

Caliber is not an issue. Being able to carry it and shoot it is.

I have carried most Glocks concealed. I have settled on my 19 for daily carry.

Part of my 9mm choice was the expense, or lack there of for practice ammo. Wally World sells me 100 rounds of WWB for around $11. If you can shoot a box a month, you're good to go. And if you can afford a carry permit and a Glock, you can afford $11 a month.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Glock 23... But the size and power works for me... Pick what you shoot well in a powerful enough caliber (which 9mm is)... Bottom line where you hit them is far more important than what you hit them with..... Train Train Train...... !
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I think the baby Glocks are entirely too chunky and don't conceal any better than the mid-sized Glocks.  The only place a baby Glock hides better than a G19/23 is in a jacket pocket (YMMV, of course).
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#47]
G19/G26
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#48]
G19 it really is the thinking man's fighting pistol. (That is if you can't /won't consider a 1911 for EDC)
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#49]

The Glock 26 is small, easy to shoot, and holds 10, 12, 15, or 17 rounds depending on what magazine is inserted.

I used to like the little .45's until I read what happens to the ballistics with the short barrels. It's not grand dads .45 so you are better off with a 9mm or .40 s&w.

If I have to go smaller I prefer a quality .38 snubnose revolver. Someday that may change to a 9mm Kahr.

If you are comfortable with a full size pistol than a Sig 220/226 or 1911 are the ultimates.

As you can see I am not a big fan of most medium size pistols like the G19. Better to have one bigger and one smaller so you can cover more situations.

If you have small hands or are buying for a women check this out: www.womenshooters.com/archive/old0702issue/tacoma0802.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I like the 19, but I am a fan of 9mm, I much prefer it over 40 and 45.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top