Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/25/2006 6:31:21 AM EST
The beavertail safety on the Colt I just picked up is digging into my chubby hand when shooting and is painful after 100 rounds or so. Can I replace this with a different type beavertail? Is it something easy that I can do myself or should I send it out to a smith? Any recommendations on a new one to replace it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:43:18 AM EST
A different one may not match your frame radius.

Plus the "toe" which engages the back of the hammer bow NEEDS TO BE FITTED by a smith.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:41:08 AM EST
What Colt do you have? The std Gov has one spur on the back and the enhanced (Defender, Commander, XSE's) have another.

Wilson makes a drop-in grip safety but results are varried.

To fit a grip safety look here.....

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:46:19 AM EST
here's my gun:


Colt Defender 4" barrell. Series 80
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:24:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:55:03 PM EST
Hey! I had the series 80 right

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:52:39 PM EST
If you have to ask, it is probably best left to a smith. I like the Wilson and CMC beavertails, but YMMV. I suggest you go to a gunstore and fingerbang every nice 1911 you see until you find what you like.
Top Top