Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2010 7:31:23 PM EDT
Anyone know of a good beavertail grip safety that will fit the Colt Defender?  I know Wilson makes a drop in one that is supposed to fit Colts, but don't know if that would work on the smaller Defender.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been told the Wilson #429BG fits the government, and the Wilson #429BC fits the Commander and Officers, so you'll need the later.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I put a Wilson "drop in" on a New Agent, so it should work on the Defender.  Needless to say, it doesn't really drop in, but with a little patient fitting works just fine.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I put a Wilson "drop in" on a New Agent, so it should work on the Defender.  Needless to say, it doesn't really drop in, but with a little patient fitting works just fine.

Thanks for the heads up.  What kind of "fitting" did you have to do?  I've never messed with one before so I'm wondering if it's something I could do or if I'd have to get a gun smith to do it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a dim idea of how to do it from having built a 1911 years ago.  Take a look at this video Grip Safety Install and I think you will have enough information.  Mostly it is a case of doing a small amount of removal of metal with a file and then reassembling the gun several times.  Maybe a lot of times.  In any event, once you understand the relationship of the parts, it isn't really rocket science.  One thing is for sure: the Wilson unit is a hell of an improvement over the stock grip that comes on the New Agent.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I put a Wilson one in my New Agent as well - years ago I had a Defender, and put one in that, too.  Just to clarify, any fitting you'll do will be to the Wilson part - you don't need to do any filing to your actual Colt frame.  Worst case, you screw up the Wilson part.

It's pretty easy, though.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Or you could have Gander Mountain do it
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Colt XSE S/S Gov. model. Want to know which drop in beavertail fit this style. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]

holy crap man, whats the story on that?  I would be PISSED

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]
WTF? I would have definately killed someone and gone to prison on that one.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top