Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 8:52:41 PM EDT
Yesterday I was at the local range, when cleaning up my brass and steel I found 2 45 Speer GoldDot rounds on the ground,  both had primer strikes, goiod strikes but had not fired.

I even tried one in my gun and no go.

I found think kinda interesting but the person who had shot them wasnt there, I wonder if these may be the ones out of those bulk packs or something.

Seems 2 bad primers in defense ammo was strange to see.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I use them in my .45's and have never had a problem.  This to me is very odd.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Same here, I saved one of them its on the desk at home.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, I saved one of them its on the desk at home.

I use these in .40 though
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the bulkpacks, and no problem with my G27.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
GDHP's in .45 are my carry ammo. I've put a lot of them through my .45s and never a bad primer.
Disturbing to hear two bad rounds found at the range. Nevertheless, until they fail me, I'll stick with them. Certainly going to shoot a little more volume than my standard of these at range sessions now, despite the cost. (I've never bought bulk packs)
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
While I, of course, have no more idea of exactly what the cause might have been than anyone else, I can say that it is not uncommon for guys to clean a pistol and then store it / carry it muzzle down in a holster or gun bag. This allows any oil  or solvent left in the firing pin / striker channel or on thre breech face to "pool" on the primer of the chambered round and, sometimes also on the first round in the mag. CCI's primer sealant is pretty good stuff, but it ain't magic. If something like solvent or a penetrating type oil, etc. stays on that primer long enough, it can penetrate the seal and kill the primer. In fact, one use for WD40 can be to make sure old primers...for reloaders, say...are deactivated before tossing them in the trash.

Did you try and fire the rounds? If they just would not fire, my guess would be something like the above senario. If they fired in a different gun, then maybe it was gun related...or possibly they could have been reloaded Gold Dot bullets in CCI cases and not new ammo at all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
or possibly they could have been reloaded Gold Dot bullets in CCI cases and not new ammo at all.

That right there is why I don't even attempt to fire ammo I find....

Maybe I'm paranoid.....but some things just aren't worth the risk
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
or possibly they could have been reloaded Gold Dot bullets in CCI cases and not new ammo at all.

That right there is why I don't even attempt to fire ammo I find....

Maybe I'm paranoid.....but some things just aren't worth the risk

+1!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ammoman.com sells some brand of high dollar LE ammo which had enough failures in it that the company now markets this stuff as practice ammo only not for duty use. Could be something like that.

Its GoldDots that they sell like that.  I somewhat expect thats what these were but just strange to see 2 of them probaly from one batch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top