Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2001 9:11:55 PM EDT
I have been doing a lot of hiking lately and my .45 gov't model is a little heavier than I want to carry up and down the mountains, so I was thinking of getting a smaller something that I can fit in my backpack easily.  I am thinking nothing smaller than a .357.
Any suggestions? Brand, model, cost, etc. Used would be okay, cheap price, very desirable.
Thanks in advance, GWF.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I use one of my Glocks.  If you are worried about losing it though, or something happening to it, you might want to consider a Ruger P95 or P97.  That way you will have a reliable pistol, but also one which you won't feel too bad about losing.

-SS
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I figure I'll carry my SP101 .357 (Ruger) if I don't want to carry the .45.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Smith & Wesson puts out a Mountain Gun revolver every year for this express purpose. They rotate .357mag, .41mag, .44mag, .45ACP, a different one each year. They differ from the standard model in that the outside diameter of the barrel is thinner, and there is no full lug, so the carry weight is reduced. They design them that way based on the theory that you won't be shooting thousands of rounds through them. I always wanted the .44mag model until I shot the .357 model 686+. It is just beautiful. I'll be looking for one when they come back around. I believe this year's model is the .44mag.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Good choices, gentlemen.
I am not real concerned about losing the gun, it will have to reside in the pack, due to the places I hike. Mostly national park property some national forest.
I would also prefer a revolver. S&W tend to be pricey, at least in this area. The SP101 would be a good choice if I could find one used.
A few years ago, I read an article on titanium guns that sounded promising, but I don't remember who made them and haven't heard or seen much on them recently.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Taurus has a huge line of titanium handguns.

www.taurususa.com
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The Taurus .41 Mag in Ti may be just the revolver for you.  Lots of power without the weight.  Normally I would be scared to shoot heavy loads in such a light weapon but with a lifetime warranty what do you have to lose.  The recoil must be brutal.  I don't own one but it is high on my list.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Since you probably won't be shooting it a lot, I would recommend a used S&W Model 66. I would also buy a couple speed loaders for it with different loads depending upon need.

A Ruger Security Six might also be a good value.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a slightly used SP101 in 357 for sale.
I don't like the way the butt fits my hand.
$300 shipped.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input y'all. The Taurus sounds like a decent gun, but .357 is a lot cheaper and easier to find than .41 mag. I just sold my  S&W 686N last year, wish I hadn't. The Rugers I have looked at lately seem to have a trigger pull in the 15-25 pound range. Maybe not quite that extreme, but it shore ain't light.

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll be posting this info as a new post, but I wanted to say that I found a speed loader that works for the SP101 with stock grips. It's the Jetloader sold by Buffer Technologies.
WSmac
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I would say that you really need to identify the purposes that the sidearm will be used for.

As you know, possessing a firearm on National Park property can get you an All Expense Paid vacation to Club-Fed.

Okay... So...  Are you going to be packing the pack gun for 2 legged, or 4 legged vermin?

I'm assuming that the Bear's, and Coyote's in AZ would be the main concern.  The occassional 'Border Bandit' and general Bad Guy might also be considered.

I like the performance of the 10mm, and the potential of the very hot loads in 10mm.  Against small Bear's, the 10mm might not be any better or worse than a 357, but against the bigger Bear's, neither will be enough to instantly stop the problem if you find yourself in a bad position.  In that case, I don't think any reasonable handgun caliber would get you very far, so you have to weigh the benefit's yourself.

Personally, I don't see any advantage of a revolver over an pistol these days...  I do see plenty of advantages of a Pistol over a Revolver though...  Therefore, I would much rather prefer to have slimmer profile, and improved ammunition capacity/storage that the Semi offer's.

I think if I was considering something for this purpose, I'd be inclined to consider a Glock 10mm, either the Full, or Compact sizes, maybe even both.  Considering that I am not a big Glock fan, that might say quite a bit.  While I don't feel the Glock offers the accuracy that other choices may, I would imagine that they would be more than sufficient for the purposes intended...

Anyway, good luck with your decisions...
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am not real concerned about losing the gun, it will have to reside in the pack, due to the places I hike. Mostly national park property some national forest.

What, you carry a gun in a National Park?  Shame on you.  I bought a Kahr P9 just recently.  It weighs less than a pound unloaded and is very narrow.  At $550 with night sights, it isn't the cheapest out there.

sig229
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Ithica Stakeout

Fits nice in the side of the pack and I can get to it if I need it quick.

Pinkerton OUT!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top