Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 5:37:24 AM EDT
I know it is not a big deal but I am still happy! So please share my joy and if you all could give me an advice what to carry for a handgun for under $700 that would be nice. I like .45 and .40
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:42:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats!!Be safe, be sure. I carry a SIG P239 in .40S&W. Really nice weapon, except I'll admit that it has quite a recoil (my GF enjoys shooting, loves my .45 SA 1911, absolutely HATES the SIG) so you may want to try one before purchasing. I bagged mine for $495+tax. The advantage is, though, that I can get a .357SIG barrel as a modification, which I as yet have not done. All in all, I'm really impressed with the accuracy, reliability and "carry-ability" of this handgun. BTW, the factory grips on this gun are, well, JUNK. Spend an extra maybe $20 if you buy one and get some Hogue grips for it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Glock 23, which is the midsize .40.  It fits my hand with no grip left over and conceals well.  I put a Houge grip sleeve on it and helped out.  I have not had it malfunction on me at all.  I have been carrying it for about a month and a half.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Ruger P90, a .45 thats a dream to shoot.Never had a jam, tough gun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#5]
These are the pistols I handled and like so far:

SIG 229
Glock 23
HK USP 40/45 Compact

is there anything about above choices that should keep me from buing one? Also are there better ones to consider? Again, my only requirement is that it's under $700 either .40 or .45

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have or had the glock and H+K and they are both great. If its a first gun go for the Glock, its really easy to maintain, and can take a beating. My favorite gun right now is my 1911 SA milspec. Buy I carry the 23 daily at work. Try them out and consider your build and size of the weapon if your gonna carry it alot. The 23 in a sidearmor IWB is a great rig.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a look at the Springfield lines

www.springfield-armory.com

look at the XD series (great compact 9mm that is outselling the glocks locally quite well).  It's basically a glock with some additional safeties and tricks.  As reliable, passed the same silly torture tests... (as did a 92fs/M9).

Also look at the 1911s... Ultra compact and micro.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
All of the above mentioned choices are good ones.  Sig, Glock, H&K, Springfield...  I'd test fire a couple at your local range if you can.  Since you're conceal carrying it, you'll want to keep size and comfort in mind.  Though, there a bunch of people who carry full-size 1911's.  Slim is key.  Anything wide is going to be tough to conceal and will print more easily on your clothing.  Also, the smaller the pistol, the more it will allow you to carry it in the sumemr months, as it won't restrict your clothing choice as much.  I've found one of the smaller more comfortable pistols to be the Glock Sub-Compact series.  They make both .40 and .45.

Link Posted: 11/8/2003 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
These are the pistols I handled and like so far:

SIG 229
Glock 23
HK USP 40/45 Compact

is there anything about above choices that should keep me from buing one? Also are there better ones to consider? Again, my only requirement is that it's under $700 either .40 or .45

Thank you!

Don't take this as criticism, but... It is one thing to like the feel of a gun, and quite another to be able to hit anything with it. A primary consideration for anyone is that the best gun to carry is the one that you can be accurate with. Do you have any friends who own the guns you're considering that will let you put some rounds through them? Or, is there a range nearby that rents the pistols you like? I don't know, maybe you have lots of centerfire pistol experience and are already a good shot, buut if not then you may be surprized at just how hard it can be to hit anything with any degree of accuracy. It takes lots of practice. If you shoot the .45 and .40 guns and find that you are having a hard time, try a 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]
One thing you should try before you buy is the "Blind Point".

After YOU make sure that the gun is empty, face in a safe direction, close your eyes and bring the gun up to presentation. Open your eyes and note how close it is to being on target. This will give you some idea of how well it will be as a natural pointer in an emergency situation.

I would place the choice of which round way down on the list. A hit from most anything will beat at miss with a 45 everytime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top