Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 12:14:26 PM EDT
Cover of American Handgunner has a picture of the soon-to-be-released S&W model 29.  I'm thinking of getting one, but was curious as to what some you revolver afficianados thought of it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#1]
My father had a M29-2 in that same configuration back when I was born.  He sold it when some hard times came around, but I traded for another one and gave it to him last year.  If I didn't already have one, I'd consider it.  The M22 that's advertised inside (.45acp) looks more like something I'd consider.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't the new 29 available only in a 5-1/2 or 6" barrel????? Too long for my taste, personally. In addition, the GD trigger lock is a death knell for such a fine revolver.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd like one, but a 4 inch, and frankly I can do without the gold inlay.  Hopefully they will offer a more subdued version.  Any word on price?

The mag also covered the new Smith 22-4, a "Thunder Ranch" gun, but they got rid of the fancy logo on the frame (from the TR .44 spl) and put in on the stocks.  Good move there.

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd like one, but a 4 inch, and frankly I can do without the gold inlay.  Hopefully they will offer a more subdued version.  Any word on price?

The mag also covered the new Smith 22-4, a "Thunder Ranch" gun, but they got rid of the fancy logo on the frame (from the TR .44 spl) and put in on the stocks.  Good move there.

Cheers

Big +1

great looking revolver if it didn't have the "bling".

and the TR stocks look pretty good.

I don't care for the lock either, but it appears as if it is here to stay...if S&W is going to re-release a classic but add that god forsaken thing, they're obviously serious about it

looks like I'll try and find one used
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, the M29 is being released in the classic 6-1/2" length.  I, too, used to think that it was too long, until I bought one (the one I gave to my father).  I had a 4" M29 and still have a 4" 629-1.  I do like the 4" length for most uses, but that 6-1/2" is the best barrel length for natural pointability and accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Not unless they start making in correct configuration, ie:  Real bluing, pinned barrel, recessed cylinder, firing pin on hammer and NO Stupid Lock.  Guess I will just have to settle for a used classic M29.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got the Mountain Gun in .44mag. I posted a review of it here:

review

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I can do without the 6.5" barrel myself.  I am also one that can do without the gold inlay.  I think I read in the article about the new Mod 22 45ACP revolver that the gold inlay was not even Clint’s idea and he was also glad to see it go.  They also offered the Mod 21 without the inlay as well.  I will wait to see if the new 29 is made in the 4" barrel and if so I will snag one.  S&W needs to start bringing back some of the old revolvers they had like these two, the only reason the new models sold as well as they did was because they stopped making the other ones and the new ones are the only thing folks had left.  

I look forward to the retro revolvers so to say.  I will try and get one or two of ever one they bring out in a 4" barrel configuration.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top