Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 12:19:38 AM EDT
Anyone carry a derringer for ccw?  What kind?  What caliber?

Normally i carry a glock 26.  I'm going to be starting a blue collar service job and don't think the 26 will be small enough to conceal.  I don't think it'd be ok if a customer saw my weapon while i was working on their equipment.  I'd feel uncomfortable not carrying anything.

Would a derringer be a good idea?  What about those naa belt buckle derringers?  Anyone have one?

Stone
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#1]
get the keltec that is small enough for yer pocket
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
While the first rule of gunfightig is to always have a gun, I think you can do a lot better than a derringer. They are heavy, slow , not very ergonomic, slow to reload and only have two shot.  

I'd look at a S&W 642 (or similar sized snubbie) or one of the small .380s.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#3]
For something smaller than a GLOCK, my first choice would be a Kahr, second would be a J-frame, third would be a Kel-Tec P32.

I had a .32 derringer once and it was pretty much useless. You can't hit anything more than cantact distance. I would rather have a decent sized fixed blade knife than a derringer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my Beretta Tomcat.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I vote for Kahr PM9 (9mm).  They aren't cheap, but probably the best gun out right now for deep conceal carry IMO.

I consider there are two stages in my years CCW experience.  Before Kahr (didn't know) and after Kahr (now I know).  

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking for a pocket gun myself, and the two that keep coming up are the Keltec P3AT and the NAA .380.

The Keltec is lighter and cheaper, the NAA seems better made, but that is just my first impression.  Either of these should work better than a derringer.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys for the feedback.  I am considering the keltec also.  I've just read so many good and bad stories with them.  It seems it's either hit or miss.   The keltec does seem ideal, specially with that pocket clip.  Thanks again,

Stone
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
i keep a NorthAmericanArms 22mag single action as my back up. liter & safer that a derringer IMO. 5 rounds of 22mag will put the shots in the A or B ring at 7 yards. in the full heat of summer, i keep one of my carry guns concealled in the car, and leave it there. in blue jeans weather, if I think  i will be in a high risk area, Walther PPKS with the flat mag fits the jeans pocket well. I have carried a derringer, and they are fine back up guns. just suggesting some options
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an American Derringer in .45 Colt/410 Shotgun. It is a monster, two powerful shots. Wouldn't trust it beyond 5 yards or so though. I've carried it now and then when I needed something really smallish (it's heavy, and not really all that small though). Hell of a cannon, but I am considering some of the alternatives listed above (Kel-Tec, Khar.... also a Rohrbaugh).

Currently, I'm carrying a SA Micro Compact 1911, still smaller than my Glock 26.

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one of those 22magnum derringers for a short time. Went to the range & couldn't believe I could shoot that bad. Cute little bugger and absolutely useless.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I vote for Kahr PM9 (9mm).  They aren't cheap, but probably the best gun out right now for deep conceal carry IMO.

I consider there are two stages in my years CCW experience.  Before Kahr (didn't know) and after Kahr (now I know).  

+1

fits in my pocket just fine
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a pocket gun myself, and the two that keep coming up are the Keltec P3AT and the NAA .380.

The Keltec is lighter and cheaper, the NAA seems better made, but that is just my first impression.  Either of these should work better than a derringer.

The NAA .380 was so bad that I had to send it back at least three times.  Finally when it broke again, I took it back and got a refund.  It's heavy.  It kicks badly.  The slide can bite you badly.  All this is a shame since it's such a nice concept.  I just don't think you can reliably put anyting bigger than a .32 into such a small package.  I hear the Rohrbaugh's which are 9mm, and very, very expensive, are nothing but trouble too.

Keltec 380 is just as bad, if not worse than the NAA.  Both companies dealt fairly with me, and allowed me to return them to the dealer, I think they took them back.  They dealer issued me a store credit then.  I just bought a SW442 and called it quits with small guns.

The Keltec 32 can be good or bad.  They usually need some work out of the box, and a lot of rounds to break them in.  But, they are a very nice package, in my opinion, for what they are.  If the sight of the gun doesn't stop the fight, I think you'd have to pour all eight rounds into a person to stop them.  Or the 10 round mag is even nicer, but again, there's a lot of trouble with those mags.

This is all personal experience, and knowledge of personal friends having similar troubles.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Belly band for your G26.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:15:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Kahr PM9
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I like my Beretta Tomcat.

+1 here's mine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top