Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 9:32:16 PM EDT
A chromelined one.I know norinco barrels were chromelined but does any company in the US make a chromelined 1911 barrel?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks much
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#3]
It begs the question. Why?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]
right after WW II the .mil decided to have chrome lining standard on all future production small arms- issues with rust in the pacific being the primary reason. The subsequent m60 m14 and such started life as chrome lined bores, the technology to chrome line a 223 bore was not sufficiently developed when the m16 was fielded and it was not worried about much initially since the m16 was going to be a short term stop gap limited issue rifle at the time.  rebuild barrels for the 1911 after the 1960's were chrome lined
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several of those barrels.  They are numbered 779xxxx as the part number.  Under it is usually the year of manufacture.  I think my newest is a 92.   As the previous post said, chrome plated against tropical rust due to humidity.  I never paid more than $50 for one.  I  have them in several beater guns.  They work fine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I know why the .mil thought they needed them but why, as in today. Would anyone want one. .45s dont have the pressure and velocity to erode a barrel and rust would develop on the outside of it. I guess Im just saying why would a normal everyday person want one nowadays with non-corrosive ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, if I were carrying a gun in the southern states where the humidity can be high, and in and out of the water, I might prefer a barrel that didn't rust immediately.  Also, here in Michigan, as well as in some Alaskan hunts I've been on, you are rain soaked all day.  It plays hell on gun finishes, and rusts barrels very quickly.  I have sent most of my barrels from my BHPs, and 1911's to Metalloy to get hard chrome plated inside and out.   It doesn't take high pressure errosion to start the corrosion.  Bare steel will corrode all by itself if you get it wet and not protect it.  My preference.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, if I were carrying a gun in the southern states where the humidity can be high, and in and out of the water, I might prefer a barrel that didn't rust immediately.  Also, here in Michigan, as well as in some Alaskan hunts I've been on, you are rain soaked all day.  It plays hell on gun finishes, and rusts barrels very quickly.  I have sent most of my barrels from my BHPs, and 1911's to Metalloy to get hard chrome plated inside and out.   It doesn't take high pressure errosion to start the corrosion.  Bare steel will corrode all by itself if you get it wet and not protect it.  My preference.

I experienced the same thing in some of the places I have lived over the last 35 years.

For me, the chrome lined barrels clean up easier.

If it is a few $'s more, why not?

Thanks,

Don-S1

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Even with modern non-corrosive ammo, I can say one advantage of a chrome lined barrel is they clean in about 1/3rd the time as a plain steel barrel.  After I got my first chrome lined barrel in an AR-15 I was a believer the first time I cleaned it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top