Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2023 5:14:08 PM EDT
I picked up a S&W today and these were included. They’re as-new and beautiful. I’ve heard of Kim Ahrends, but haven’t owned the grips before. Some brief Googling says they went bankrupt and he passed? Are these good grips? Should I use them? These came with a S&W 686 Deluxe 3”. I also have the factory wood grips.

Any info would be helpful…

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Ken Ahrends made amazing grips.  His wife got sick and passed away and he was forced to declare.bankruptcy.   His work is becoming unobtainium
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
They are top tier shooter grade grips. You did well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are top tier shooter grade grips. You did well.
View Quote

This. Nice find

My ahrends
My favorite grips
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The pair on the right
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Extremely good grips for the money. It is quite unfortunate that they are no longer in business. I found them to be a bit thin from side to side for my taste, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Own a bunch of his grips. Excellent quality, though some of the S&W factory sets have that mass produced feel to them.

Looks like you have a set of boot grips which would be appropriate for a short barreled gun.

This is a similar set, but N frame and Mayan Bloodwood:

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Own a bunch of his grips. Excellent quality, though some of the S&W factory sets have that mass produced feel to them.

Looks like you have a set of boot grips which would be appropriate for a short barreled gun.

This is a similar set, but N frame and Mayan Bloodwood:

https://i.imgur.com/TXQOaS6.jpg
View Quote

Love that revolver with those grips!
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#8]
His website is still out there, you can read what happened from him:

https://www.ahrendsinc.com/

I've had a bunch of his grips over the years. Still have some. I talked on the phone with his wife several times when I placed some custom orders, she was always really nice. They seemed like a real class act, such a shame what happened.

Hard to believe they were like $60 or so new, now they pull over $200 if you can find any for sale. I thought about selling mine since I mostly shoot with Pachmayr grips but they are special to me since I bought them directly from them in better days.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
His website is still out there, you can read what happened from him:

https://www.ahrendsinc.com/

I've had a bunch of his grips over the years. Still have some. I talked on the phone with his wife several times when I placed some custom orders, she was always really nice. They seemed like a real class act, such a shame what happened.

Hard to believe they were like $60 or so new, now they pull over $200 if you can find any for sale. I thought about selling mine since I mostly shoot with Pachmayr grips but they are special to me since I bought them directly from them in better days.

View Quote

I've been scouring the internet to find a set of his no-finger groove round butt K-frame grips for a while now.  Hoping to find something, and I'd be willing to pay a fair price.  They just perfectly fit me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
They use to be readily available on Brownells Website for a reasonable price.  But like a lot of things no longer produce, the prices have skyrocketed, and they've become very much in demand.

If they fit you and you like them.  Enjoy.  Otherwise sell them for a premium to someone that wants to pay and buy something that will fit your hand better.
Top Top