Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 8:39:58 PM EDT
I have a 2nd generation G22 and would really like a rail so I can mount a flashlight, but don't want to cough up the extra money. Anyone have experience with this?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22634/Product/TACTICAL_LIGHT_MOUNT_for_GLOCK_reg_
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a good idea but holsters will be a bitch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looks like a good idea but holsters will be a bitch.

Exactly.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Good point, but I like it for home defense. Would be nice to see what i'm shooting when things go bump in the night
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
you can always get the magazine adaptor that will hold a flashlight.  I know it's not the same as having it on a rail, but it's a cheaper option.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My advice would be NOT to use something that attaches the light to a mag.  Bad idea.  You might need more than what's in the mag, you might need to change the mag to clear a malfunction, etc.  And a light attached to the mag will be somewhat unwieldy to operate.

I understand you want to see what you're shooting at.  Me too.  That's why in one hand I have the G17 w/ 33rnd mag in place, and in the other hand a Surefire G2/LED.  Absolutely.

I myself am not a big proponent of lights attached to pistols, espeially for home defense.  Many reasons for this, such as when you live with other folks, searching for that "bump in the night", that bump might be a kid, roomate, wife, dog, etc..................something that's not a threat, which you don't want to be muzzling, just to light it up.  Yes, you can aim a pistol w/ light attached downward, and still have usefull light, but to me this is counterintuitive.

To each his own though.  Alot of folks do like havin a light on the gun.  If your purpose, OP, is home defense, then as you said, the holster thing is not an issue.

I'm pretty sure that unit from Brownells would do the trick just fine.  Just bolts onto the dustcover, looks pretty solid to me.  I've read good reviews of it, I think it would be the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My advice would be NOT to use something that attaches the light to a mag. Bad idea. You might need more than what's in the mag, you might need to change the mag to clear a malfunction, etc. And a light attached to the mag will be somewhat unwieldy to operate.

I understand you want to see what you're shooting at. Me too. That's why in one hand I have the G17 w/ 33rnd mag in place, and in the other hand a Surefire G2/LED. Absolutely.

I myself am not a big proponent of lights attached to pistols, espeially for home defense. Many reasons for this, such as when you live with other folks, searching for that "bump in the night", that bump might be a kid, roomate, wife, dog, etc..................something that's not a threat, which you don't want to be muzzling, just to light it up. Yes, you can aim a pistol w/ light attached downward, and still have usefull light, but to me this is counterintuitive.

To each his own though. Alot of folks do like havin a light on the gun. If your purpose, OP, is home defense, then as you said, the holster thing is not an issue.

I'm pretty sure that unit from Brownells would do the trick just fine. Just bolts onto the dustcover, looks pretty solid to me. I've read good reviews of it, I think it would be the way to go.

My advised would be TO CONSIDER all options and then make your decision. I used this setup for a while and had no problem with it.  Although a malfunction is possible, though rare....I doubt I'll have an extra mag in my shorts if I go to confront someone in a home invasion at 2am, let alone time enough to grab one and put it somewhere on me. If I can't take them down with the 17 rds that are in the gun, it's doubtful a reload is going to help me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I know.

If YOU want to put a light on a mag, great.  I would not..................nor do I think any instructors/trainers worth their salt would recommend such a practice either.  They also make those little velcro and elastic things with which you can attach a light to your forearm...........an option, yes, but not one that would likely be recommended by experts, or be that usefull.

For the life of me, I have never understood why anyone would attach a light to a part of the gun that is "modular"............it comes off, it comes and goes.  A light attached to a mag makes little sense, tactically.

To me, the whole mantra of "if 17 rnds isn't enough, I'm fucked", etc. etc., is defeatist.  If 17 rnds isn't enough, fuck the enemy, pump another 17 rnds into the threat(s), and another 17 rnds.............never give up the fight.

With multiple attackers (a likely situation in a home invasion), it's not outside the realm of possibility that more than 17, or more than 33 rnds would be needed.

I'm prepared to lay down supressive fire, overwhelm the enemy in my home with a rain of lead and violence of action.  Are you?

I know this is sidetracking the OPs thread a bit, so I won't continue.  A debate on tactics such as this should be continued elsewhere.

OP, there are many options, choose wisely.  If I were you, wanting what you want, I'd probably get that aftermarket rail from Brownells.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I know.

If YOU want to put a light on a mag, great. I would not..................nor do I think any instructors/trainers worth their salt would recommend such a practice either. They also make those little velcro and elastic things with which you can attach a light to your forearm...........an option, yes, but not one that would likely be recommended by experts, or be that usefull.

For the life of me, I have never understood why anyone would attach a light to a part of the gun that is "modular"............it comes off, it comes and goes. A light attached to a mag makes little sense, tactically.

To me, the whole mantra of "if 17 rnds isn't enough, I'm fucked", etc. etc., is defeatist. If 17 rnds isn't enough, fuck the enemy, pump another 17 rnds into the threat(s), and another 17 rnds.............never give up the fight.

With multiple attackers (a likely situation in a home invasion), it's not outside the realm of possibility that more than 17, or more than 33 rnds would be needed.

I'm prepared to lay down supressive fire, overwhelm the enemy in my home with a rain of lead and violence of action. Are you?

I know this is sidetracking the OPs thread a bit, so I won't continue. A debate on tactics such as this should be continued elsewhere.

OP, there are many options, choose wisely.
If I were you, wanting what you want, I'd probably get that aftermarket rail from Brownells.

You know Vin, I notice a recurring theme in your opinions of other people's posts, and I think I'm not the only one to notice too. If it runs contrary to what you think you like to try and shoot it down. It's like your opinion is it, and that's it. If you have an opinion, fine...but why are you so afraid that someone can offer up something else? Ok, you don't like the mag flashlight holder, then fine...don't like it. All I'm putting out there is an option that I've used, and quite frankly had no problem with. Sorry it doesn't come from the "VinVidivici book of Glock wisdom", or maybe if anyone wanting to post an opinion about anything Glock here should consult with you first to make sure it fits with your thinking.

Did you ever stop to think that the installation of the aftermarket rail could quite possibly affect the value of the gun, especially if there's a mistake made (not drilled right) or someone might not like the fact that the Glock has been permanently altered.  Will someone care if he's in a firefight?  No, but later on if the OP attempts to sell the gun it might make a difference then.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
 Dude, I don't give two shits if you or anybody else puts a light on the bottom of a mag.  The OP is askin' advice, and I'm tryin' to steer him in the right direction.

Get real.  Seriously.  No "Book of Vini Wisdom" here, you'll notice I said I don't advocate a light attached to a pistol, nevertheless I'm telling him to go ahead and get that aftermarket rail, because he wants one attached.

Aftermarket value?  Did the OP ask that?  When he looks at the rail option, he'll be able to see that holes will have to be made.  He can decide if it's worth it or not.

Seriously, I don't care where you attach a light................................tell you what, go start a thread in Handgun Discussions or something, "paging the instructors here" kinda thing, you see for yourself how many of the knowledgeable folks advocate or approve of attaching a light to a mag like that.

Go ahead.  Ain't about some perceived "book of Vini", it's about common sense and practical experience.  How much shooting have you done in the dark, under stress?

I really didn't want to continue this here in the OP's thread.  Just had to answer your claims..............c'mon dude, seriously, get real.  No "my way or the highway" thing here.  I've been taught things, and been taught what works and what doesn't.  Just trying to spread real knowledge to others here, that's all.

Done deal.  I vow to the OP, no matter what, this won't continue from my end.  Have at it zwvirtual, it's all yours.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
What about one of the lights that mount to the trigger guard? Some folks have had feeding or ejecting problems with lights on the G22's, though I can't remember which.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 Dude, I don't give two shits if you or anybody else puts a light on the bottom of a mag.  The OP is askin' advice, and I'm tryin' to steer him in the right direction.
Get real.  Seriously.  No "Book of Vini Wisdom" here, you'll notice I said I don't advocate a light attached to a pistol, nevertheless I'm telling him to go ahead and get that aftermarket rail, because he wants one attached.
Aftermarket value?  Did the OP ask that?  When he looks at the rail option, he'll be able to see that holes will have to be made.  He can decide if it's worth it or not.
Seriously, I don't care where you attach a light................................tell you what, go start a thread in Handgun Discussions or something, "paging the instructors here" kinda thing, you see for yourself how many of the knowledgeable folks advocate or approve of attaching a light to a mag like that.
Go ahead.  Ain't about some perceived "book of Vini", it's about common sense and practical experience.  How much shooting have you done in the dark, under stress?
I really didn't want to continue this here in the OP's thread.  Just had to answer your claims..............c'mon dude, seriously, get real.  No "my way or the highway" thing here.  I've been taught things, and been taught what works and what doesn't.  Just trying to spread real knowledge to others here, that's all.
Done deal.  I vow to the OP, no matter what, this won't continue from my end.  Have at it zwvirtual, it's all yours.

As far as being "steered in the right direction", I guess you determine that, huh?

Personally, I would rather give the OP an option and let him decide whether it's right or wrong for him.  As for aftermarket value, no the OP didn't ask about that, but that is something that should be thought about, because it more than likely will affect the gun's value since it's a permanent alteration.     And as I also said, if he makes a mistake and is off by just a hair then he basically has two holes in his gun and no rail.  
Frankly I'm not concerned what instructors think.  All practical courses are based on opinions...there is no "one best, clear cut" training method.  There are some good instructors out there and there are some that are plain idiots.  And I still stand by my "opinion" that at 2am when my door is being kicked in I'll be lucky just to get hands on my gun....where the hell am I supposed to carry a spare mag?  I don't know, maybe you sleep with a mag pouch strapped to you and don't have a problem with it, but I don't, and even if I wore pajamas, most don't have pockets....so now what?  Shoot one-handed while I hold on to the other mag?  Reality is that I'm either going to win the fight or lose it with the mag that I have in the gun, that's it  (and yes, that's my opinion)
I've worked in both civilian and military law enforcement for 24 years, and have shot in low light, with night vision, red light, and I have shot and still shoot competition too, not to mention all qualification courses I had to go through....is that ok?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got done reading the book"ViniVidivici Book of Glock Wisdom" and I would have to agree on the Glock in your strong hand and a "Quality Lite" in the other....Just Me though!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I just got done reading the book"ViniVidivici Book of Glock Wisdom" and I would have to agree on the Glock in your strong hand and a "Quality Lite" in the other....Just Me though!

And that's a valid option to consider as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#14]
these work good & will fit w/ light in a universal fit holster

Command Arms Glock Under Barrel Picatinny Rail Mount

typically $40-50 used
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Around here, 2nd gen Glocks sell used for about $50 less than 3rd gen.

It may be easier and more economic to simply by a gun with a rail and then sell the old one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#16]
glock plus surefire combat light, or g2 with tactical rings...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top