Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 9:08:03 AM EDT
I have several 1911's, Wilson, Nighthawk, Briley, etc. But I have never sent anything off for custom work. My Colt 70 Series is in about 75% condition. I'm thinking about sending it off for upgrade any advice as to who to send it to and what kind of upgrades without completely messing up the value of the gun. I know you can go all out but what is the purpose? I would then have the same thing I already have except in an older gun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If it were me in your shoes....
and I had all of those other fines pistols to use....
I'd leave the old S70 alone!

That is unless you are having trouble with it for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Well it's in pretty good shape but the hammer has a little rust on it. I got the gun from a friend and I would like to do something with the sights. Or fix it up as much as possible without messing it up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll post a pic soon. Sorry I guess I should have had one ready, and I have to figure out how to post it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I had an original S70 that I had worked over.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=27646

Hope that gives you a few ideas.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Trigg Looks good. I appreciate your response. Who did the finish work?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks Trigg Looks good. I appreciate your response. Who did the finish work?

A local 1911 smith did it for me. He's located in McKinney, TX.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#8]
leave it alone any time you take an old gun and modifiy it you WILL hurt its value as an original !!!
unless you send a series 70 to a really good shop that marks the guns after mods (clarks, yost etc) the ultimate result will be loss rather than gain in value
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
leave it alone any time you take an old gun and modifiy it you WILL hurt its value as an original !!!
unless you send a series 70 to a really good shop that marks the guns after mods (clarks, yost etc) the ultimate result will be loss rather than gain in value

Series 70s are not really collectors guns. They are worth about what a new Kimbers or Loaded Springer is worth. So long as you have a well regarded smith do the work and include the build sheet, it will only go up in value.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys I really like this site and I know there are alot of very smart people that don't mind sharing their info. I have been reading ar for a long time and just never joined in on the posts. Thanks again to those of you who took the time to share your input.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't know if it helps, but this is what I did to my S70...no frame or slide modifications:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=27889

3rd post down is what I did.

I could have saved a lot of time had I just skipped the whole ejector part, but that's what makes it all fun. I learned a lot working on this gun, and I didn't make a single change to it that I cannot undo.

Now, if you are hard-set on sending it off to a smith..well, there's no end to stuff they can do. Me, I'm happy with a looser gun than the customs out these days; yes, my slide moves a fraction on both horizontal and vertical planes. It's also slicker than snot running downhill on ice, and I can still reliably hit COM on a police target at 50 feet without concentrating on it, over and over. It's no race gun, but for it's intended purpose as a reliable defensive weapon...well, it's what I carry with me, so I obviously trust it, and the work I did to it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Being that you already have pistols with the "bells & whistles", I'd do a "BBQ gun"!   Deep, roayl blue....Yost "retro" sights....ivory or stag grips.   Leave the mag well and ejection port alone.  Retain a spur hammer and steel trigger.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#13]
What is BBQ gun? By the way I picked up a set of Ivory grips at a gun show today!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What is BBQ gun? By the way I picked up a set of Ivory grips at a gun show today!

A BBQ gun is the rough equavilant of "sunday best"...that is, something big, shiny, and showy, for going to social events and showing it off. Like...a big town BBQ or something

Like the big flashy watch you wear only to important events where you want to look more important and richer (like your mother in law's funeral, or your high school reunion)

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, I guess I have alot to learn. I'm 48 and still learning all the time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks, I guess I have alot to learn. I'm 48 and still learning all the time.

As do we all

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Series 70s are not really collectors guns. They are worth about what a new Kimbers or Loaded Springer is worth. So long as you have a well regarded smith do the work and include the build sheet, it will only go up in value.

Jack what about a series 70 Gov Model near as I can see about 100%  not even a mark near the slide stop or take down pin!

Would this be a collector or a shooter at 600.00?

Bob
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmm, never seen one in person with no marks on it.....so I imagine it might have some collector value.

But for $600, I would cut it up!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#19]
No question, I would send it to the Novak shop. They do some fantastic work on Colt 70 series pistols. The prices are reasonable too. Talk to Dustin, he's the 1911 guy(his dad started Novak). They can make that rusty old 70 into a really nice custom piece. Good turnaround time too.

Novak

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Things that you could change:

Trigger (get a long ajustable trigger)
New combination spring (it's probably taken a set)
Beavertail (get an S&A)
Barrel  fit a match bushing and link, maybe weld the rear lug to control front and rear play (or maybe a Kart easy fit match or drop in Jarvis match bull)
sights could just be replaced with meprolight drop in night sights three dot or bar dot and that would save you the money on a sight cut.  
Lower and flare the port
replace msh  (if you like flat checkered or smooth better).  

If you do the work on the lower yourself, and just bob your hammer off slightly, and maybe stone the hooks (take three or four thousandths off the hooks and lighten the mainspring) you could accomplish the upgrade relatively cheaply and reap huge benefits in shootability.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top