Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2005 5:39:25 AM EDT
I have gotten an Officers Model a while back and had a Brown Grip Safety put on along with a trigger job and reverse plug with full length guide rod.  The gun smith also throated the barrel, polished the feed ramp and adjusted the extractor tension.  She now shoots like a dream eating anything I feed her.

Link Posted: 5/7/2005 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Then I started reading, on different gun boards, about the "perfect" carry gun.  Which "some" thought to be an Officers frame with a Commander length slike and barrel.   So............I started thinking.  

One day I spotted a Colt Commander slike on our EE board and I got it.   Then a week later I spotted an Officers frame only on Gunbroker and got it.  Now I have a list of all Wilson Combat parts that I'll be getting from Brownells soon.  Thanks God I still get my LEO discount.

The slide has no internals yet.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2005 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Here are the two Colts togeather.  

After paying for the slide, frame and what I'll be spending on the Wilson Match barrel, bushing, firing pin, grip safety, Novak sights...........................etc.........................etc....................... and what the gunsmith will charge me to fit everything togeather.  Well there's a moral to this story......................... How much money is too much?

All I know is that is better shoot like a dream and then clean itself when I get home.

Link Posted: 5/7/2005 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice looking and well thought out project. I have a stainless officers ACP sitting in pieces right now. Putting together the parts, and the deposit, and then it is off to the YoBo boys for a little magic. God speed on your project.
flyingrhino
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

After paying for the slide, frame and what I'll be spending on the Wilson Match barrel, bushing, firing pin, grip safety, Novak sights...........................etc.........................etc....................... and what the gunsmith will charge me to fit everything togeather.  Well there's a moral to this story......................... How much money is too much?

Which explains why I opted for the Springfield Micro with Noval night sights, ramped barrel & alloy frame from the git-go!    
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that the famouse plastic trigger that colt started using to cut costs for all those years?
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which explains why I opted for the Springfield Micro with Noval night sights, ramped barrel & alloy frame from the git-go!    

Make me feel better Bob.  

But...............I'll have a 4.25 barrel on a micro frame instead of a 3".  
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll make you feel better too.  A Commander slide on an Officer's frame is just plain classy.  It's lke having a Rolex.  Not everyone has one, it shows good taste, and it shows you like function every bit as much as form.  Good going.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll make you feel better too.  A Commander slide on an Officer's frame is just plain classy.  It's lke having a Rolex.  Not everyone has one, it shows good taste, and it shows you like function every bit as much as form.  Good going.

Guess I need another gun............................ so it matches my Rolex.

Hey man, whatever excuse you need.    Take a pic when you get it, with the Rolex of course.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/8/2005 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Strange, my 3" barrel does just fine on both form & function.    

Easier to CCW with too, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DAMMIT, BOB!!!!  When are you gonna quit trusting your ass to a company who builds on the CHEAP???    What I would hate to see is that Springie letting you down when the chips get dropped!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Bob, I'm not knocking the 3", just complementing the guy on his choice of build.  They are just plain nifty.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Strange, my 3" barrel does just fine on both form & function.    

Easier to CCW with too, IMO.

I'd rather have a 4.25" inch barrel over a 3" in .45 acp for the obvious reason the longer barrel is going to generate more ftlbs of energy at any given distance over the shorter one.    Plus all the girls in High School, many years ago, told me that size does matter.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
   Plus all the girls in High School, many years ago, told me that size does matter.  

Well if size matters then put a 5 incher no 7 inch extended slide and barrel on it.....

Link Posted: 5/8/2005 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey, that Officer's has an 8 inch barrel, or at tleast that what I told my wife...
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

DAMMIT, BOB!!!!  When are you gonna quit trusting your ass to a company who builds on the CHEAP???    What I would hate to see is that Springie letting you down when the chips get dropped!!!

It'll work for the mag or two that I need it for, IMO. If I need more than two mags then I've made a tremendous error in judgement along the way, no?    
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'd rather have a 4.25" inch barrel over a 3" in .45 acp for the obvious reason the longer barrel is going to generate more ftlbs of energy at any given distance over the shorter one.    

I seriously doubt the 1.25" will make any difference in the FMJs I use for CCW? IIRC, there's only a 40-50f/p/s difference per inch in barrel shrinkage? I can live with that for the shorter barrel trade-off in easier concealment.

Link Posted: 5/8/2005 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess you would say that I did it in reverse.  A colt compact slide fits perfectly on a commander frame.  Hmmm!  Imagine a standard 7 or 8 shot magazine in a short barrel colt?  The commander slide on compact frame gives a 6 round capacity.

Ok, I did it.  Multiple compact slides on commander frames!  No finger hanging over the end of the magazine well either!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I guess you would say that I did it in reverse.  A colt compact slide fits perfectly on a commander frame.  Hmmm!  Imagine a standard 7 or 8 shot magazine in a short barrel colt?  The commander slide on compact frame gives a 6 round capacity.

Ok, I did it.  Multiple compact slides on commander frames!  No finger hanging over the end of the magazine well either!

Chip McCormick makes a 7 round mag that fits flush with the compact frame and Wilson Combat make 7 round mags that fit almost flush.........then one in the chamber and you have an 8 round weapon that you can reload in an instant with a full mag if one practices enough.  
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top