Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 6:23:50 PM EDT
Hi, I will be turning 21 soon and wanted to know if a PA-63 with 9x18mm JHP would be a good inexpensive self-defense option.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#1]
There are certainly better options.

But with that, you have a bit more power then a .380, in an inexpensive package. So I'd say it's not a bad choice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't think of anything better for the price range you're looking at. You might be able to get a
Spanish 9mm for about the same, but it will be quite a bit harder to conceal. The 9x18 is a little
more powerful than a .380 and a bit less than a standard pressure 9x19. It's a *LOT* better than
a .32 or .25.

Sam
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to have 9x18 mak pistol for backup gun.

I don't anymore.  Could I steer you away to gen 2 9mm Glocks?  Worth more $$ but 9x19 has more penetration capability in JHP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I have my Makarov loaded with Silver Bear 115gr HP. Thats the only stuff I would trust.

Here is a good bit of info on ammo for your 9x18. The Silver Bear stuff is hard to find now. Although the Brown Bear stuff performs the same. Just that the Silver Bear has a nickel plated case.

hipowersandhandguns.com/Comparisonof9x18mmMakarovetc.htm

Within 5-10 yards I would say 9x18 would be good. Although I would reccomend going with 9mm (9x19)

If you want to go with 9x18 the PA63s are a crap shoot with realiabilty. The double action pull is also really heavy. I wouldn't really reccomend them. I would go with a Bulgarian Makarov or CZ83 as a minimum for 9x18. Anything else isn't too good. If you are on a budget I would reccomend a Star BM in 9mm if you can find one or a Hi Point in 9mm.

The Hi Point is heavy and ugly but if you have any problems everything is covered under the warranty. From what I have heard they do very good on honoring their warranty. My friend recently bought one and has enjoyed it. He has 200rds through it with no problems.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top