Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2016 10:43:41 AM EDT
So I want to get a metal full size 9mm.  I've shot Sigs and a Beretta 92 before and like both.  But, I'm thinking about getting the Beretta for the iconic look as well as to add to my small collection of Berettas (bobcat, Cheetah, maybe someday a tomcat).  The one thing that constantly bugs me in my mind is the slide safety.  It feels so cumbersome and unnatural.  In looking around it seems at least two companies make high quality clones with the frame safety for about $100-200 less than the 92.  If I get one of those, how likely am I to regret not getting the real deal?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The Taurus 92 is modeled on the previous version of the Beretta 92; there are Beretta 92s out there w/ a frame safety/decocker instead of the slide safety.

Unfortunately, the Taurus 92 doesn't take the same magazines as the Beretta 92, due to the mag catch being slightly off.

The Girsan Regard appears to be a direct copy of the Beretta 92F w/ the slide mounted safety.  Does it take standard Beretta 92 magazines?

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#2]
The one gun Taurus did right is the 92 copy. I do like the thumb safety but overall you will get better quality and backing with Beretta than Taurus, personal experience. The Beretta, in my opinion, seems more refined and the action seems smoother. On the Girsan, I don't care for the finger grooves but some people might welcome with change.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Girsan Regard appears to be a direct copy of the Beretta 92F w/ the slide mounted safety.  Does it take standard Beretta 92 magazines?

View Quote

Yes, I believe they fit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone here/use Arms Unlimited?  Great deal on 92FS there...
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The one gun Taurus did right is the 92 copy. I do like the thumb safety but overall you will get better quality and backing with Beretta than Taurus, personal experience. The Beretta, in my opinion, seems more refined and the action seems smoother. On the Girsan, I don't care for the finger grooves but some people might welcome with change.
View Quote

I have 3 Berettas and a Taurus PT-99.  The action is ball bearing slick on the Taurus just as it is on the Beretta.  The trigger is just as good abiet heavier but  I haven't put the lower power hammer spring in the Taurus like I have the Beretta.

The Taurus does have the frame mounted safety.  The only down side I see to the Taurus is the mags are a little different.  But MecGar does make the same versions and they are readily available.

You will have a MUCH better customer service experience with Beretta IF it is ever needed.

I'm not familiar with the other pistol.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]
safeties belong on the frame.

clown

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The Taurus can be modified to work off of Beretta magazines. The magazine catch needs to be reshaped to work.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#8]
One of the first pistols I bought was a PT92 while I was a broke college kid. I worked at an indoor range and got to shoot a lot. I beat the snot out of that gun and it never missed a beat. I wish I still had it. I feel like I remember standard Beretta 92 mags worked in mine, though I could be misremembering. This would have been around 1997, did Taurus make a change to the mag catch or have they always been different?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

One of the first pistols I bought was a PT92 while I was a broke college kid. I worked at an indoor range and got to shoot a lot. I beat the snot out of that gun and it never missed a beat. I wish I still had it. I feel like I remember standard Beretta 92 mags worked in mine, though I could be misremembering. This would have been around 1997, did Taurus make a change to the mag catch or have they always been different?
View Quote
Always been different.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Taurus makes a good gun with the pt92 since its made on old Beretta equipment. The problem is though if anything ever goes wrong with the Taurus you're stuck with their crappy cs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top