Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2008 10:36:24 AM EDT
RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THOSE WHO RESPOND STAY ON POINT WITH THE POSTED QUESTION AND NOT GET OFF INTO "DEFENSIVE AMMO RANTS". I KNOW....JUST ANSWER THE F'ING QUESTION

Apologize but I know someone would flame me, insult my intelligence, and not answer my question.

For those of you using the FN FiveSeven as a defensive home/carry pistol...what ammo are you utilizing???

To clarify, I'm in a condominium so penetration (over penetration) is a concern. I'm assuming the v-max will break apart more quickly on contact but I have no source to verify this with.

Thank you.

Bravo
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Hornady's V-Max bullets are designed for explosive expansion on small game and varmints––especially those little 30gr .224 dia pills
Having said that, i would choose anything other than V-Max
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hornady's V-Max bullets are designed for explosive expansion on small game and varmints––especially those little 30gr .224 dia pills

Agreed.  Penetration and yaw are necessary with this bullet choice.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure in the Five-Seven the farthest penetrating and thus most effective is the 40 gr Vmax. At that low velocity, Brassfetcher had it getting 10 in or so penetration. I'm not really up on 5.7 ammo, but if I'm not mistaken that's the heaviest weight other than the 55 gr FMJ subsonic load.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
No, no!  Use the lead free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are the best that us peons are allowed to use
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
V max.

Fire them at the range. There have been a few of us that have gotten light strikes from certain batches. I had two last weekend. That's all you need when the SHTF is to hear CLICK instead of BANG.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
SS195. If you like the V-max(SS 197) then you must not listen to any of the tacked thread about defense ammo. Dr. Roberts says any blastic tip ammo does not penatrate deep enough. So yeah it might have a large wound channel but only 2 inchs deep. Where as the SS195 might just yaw and not explode but it gets to the right organs. Many people say look at the test, and SS197 penatrates more. But thats gel, in a human your bound to hit bone or some kind of harder tissue than gel, and any blastic tip would just blow up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

SS197SR is loaded with the 40 grain V-max round.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top