Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2003 5:31:54 PM EDT
Hi,

I'm considering a smith or ruger in 44 mag (629 or redhawk).  I've read pretty all there is out there on the difference, but the one thing I'm still not sure of is which would be better for small to medium size man hands.  Which one has the smaller grip/frame size?  

Thanks!
Scott
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If the Ruger Super Redhawk uses the same rubber grip assembly as the GP-100 I'd recommend it.  My wife chose the GP-100 due its grip fitting her smaller hand.  If that doesn't work there is always the option of custom grips, though that does get pricey.

Kent

Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Vexer:
My hands are small and I shoot the GP-100, Super Redhawk .44 magnum, and the Super Redhawk 480, with no problems.
RugerCal480
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If it helps, I just recently got through a research session for a 44 mag for my hands, which I would consider small.  I found both the SuperRedhawk and the 629 to fit fine, but honestly, the grip makes a huge difference.  And for the small amount they cost, it's definitely something you should look into.  Overall, I found the Super Redhawk just fine the way it was, and the one I felt with a set of aftermarket grips (didn't know the brand) felt great.

I've been suprised by the amount grips change the feel of a gun.  When my sister was looking for a Beretta 92, we felt the one with the aftermarket (hogue I believe) grips.  She loved the gun, I thought it felt great.  After considering options, she decided on the Taurus 92.  When she held that one, it didn't fit at all and I had to agree.  Since I had kind of talked her into a bit, I felt it necessary to look into it.  Ended up that the dimensions of frame were almost identical on the grip.  With that same set of grips on the Taurus it felt great, but if she had felt the Taurus first, she probably never would have ended up with a 92!  Just something that surprised me, so I thought I would share.

Hope this helps.  I know how frustrating it is to make sure you don't end up with a firearm you couldn't possibly get your hand around.  Good luck.

Gundraw

Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Canoe-
Oh, and for reference sake, Yes, the GP-100 and the Super Redhawk feature the same grips assembly.  I'd agree completely, some complain, I find them attractive and comfortable.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I too have small hands and find that Hogue rubber grips on my S&W N frame revolvers fit my hand much better than the stock wooden target grips.  The Hogue grips leave the backstrap open (unlike Pachmayers which I also tried).  I recommend them highly.  With stock grips the Ruger Redhawk appears to be smaller in diameter.  There is also the possibility of locating an N frame Smith in round butt configuration.  They were making them for a couple of years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top