Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 4:14:52 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a light .22 revolver and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the S&W 317 Kit Gun?  Is it worth the high dollars?  It looks like it is just what I'm looking for.  I owned a Taurus 941 about ten years ago and had a lot of problems with it so I want to buy a better quality revolver.

Any opinions out there?.... Thanks..
thedr
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:14:58 AM EDT
[#1]
All of the Smith Kit guns are great.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have six Smith & Wesson 22LR revolvers in my gun safe. Four are the newer 617 series and two are the older 17 series.  Form my personal experience the S&W revolver is far and away the finest 22LR handgun available in today's market.  

I will say an action/trigger job is the best $$ to be spent toward personal pleasure from firearms use.  The goal being hitting the bull's eye with each shot fired at the target.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
My 617 - great DA and SA trigger
My 17 - great DA and SA trigger
My 34 - great DA and SA trigger

My 317 - 1# single action, #20 DA

I have a 1 5/8" 317. S&W presumed these short barrelled guns were going to be carried as a PDW and gave them a very heavy DA pull. It's not impossible to deal with, just heavy. I don't know if they've done the same with the 3" Kit Gun. Check it out at your gunshop.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It may not be any cheaper but try to get a S&W model 63. It's an all-steel .22 but it's a J-frame, much lighter than the 617. It should be cheaper than the NIB 317, IMO.

IIRC, Ruger also makes a .22 all-steel revolver & Taurus makes a much better gun than a few years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top