Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2023 10:37:25 AM EDT
I've got a nice G19.4 milled by Maple Leaf with an EPS and even though this gun has 1000s of rounds through it the trigger is still pretty meh.

I would really like a nice trigger in it but have never gotten the impression they are reliable.

Do I have any good options here?
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Timney's trigger has been gold...
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock Performance Trigger
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also a very real possibility of not being drop safe.

Use the Glock trigger or leave it alone.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Johnny Glock. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Johnny Glock. Buy once, cry once.
View Quote

Ditto. Have one installed in my 43X. Get the full kit with his alum trigger shoe
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I really like mine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]
It all depends on what you want to do and what you are using it for-carry, competition, home defense,etc.. For any pistol I own for defense, I prefer to keep the trigger pull/parts close to stock. I have had many different brands over the years- Overwatch, ZEV, Agency, the Glock Store Pyramid, Kineti-Tech but for one that will be a working gun, I prefer one with a factory trigger bar-(which you can polish and it makes it much smoother without changing the length or weight of the pull). I don't like changing the springs, as I have had a few issues with reliability going that route but others have not.

Kineti-Tec makes a great trigger shoe or shoe/factory bar combo if you prefer not to install the shoe on your trigger bar. The flat trigger has a real nice feel to it, as it is wider and of course has a flat face making it perfect for me. The ZEV Fulcrum was also nice but uses a different trigger bar than factory but I never had any issues with it.

Prices as you know can go through the roof and to me, it gets to be a waste.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as I know, the Timney Alpha does not disable the drop safety features of the Glock system. They are left intact.

ETA: All it does is cock the striker and provide a shorter/lighter break.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As far as I know, the Timney Alpha does not disable the drop safety features of the Glock system. They are left intact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has been proven multiple times that the Gen 3 Timney trigger can fail the drop test. It will allow the cruciform to disengage the striker when the pistol is dropped. And yes there is still the trigger safety and the firing pin safety plunger that SHOULD prevent the pistol from firing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It has been proven multiple times that the Gen 3 Timney trigger can fail the drop test. It will allow the cruciform to disengage the striker when the pistol is dropped. And yes there is still the trigger safety and the firing pin safety plunger that SHOULD prevent the pistol from firing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you’re saying is the drop safeties work as intended because the Timney leaves them intact. I’ve dropped, thrown, smacked, and hammered on mine many times checking it’s operation. I have busted one SRO and damaged an X300V-A twice doing such and in all that unofficial testing, I’ve had exactly one instance where I experienced a dead trigger after a drop from approx 40 foot onto the lawn. I would have trouble believing a factory Glock trigger wouldn’t have been susceptible to some similar undesired result as well. I’ve posted video demonstrations of me abusing my Alpha equipped Glocks. Barring anyone screwing with the plunger safety spring or messing with the pre-travel screw, the Timney Alpha does not defeat nor does it disable any of the drop safeties. It provides a shorter and lighter break. It’s a clean trigger. It’s only real fault is a rather weak feeling reset.

ETA: These are vids taken when I happened to think about it while knocking it around some. Many times, I didn’t video it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So what you’re saying is the drop safeties work as intended because the Timney leaves them intact. I’ve dropped, thrown, smacked, and hammered on mine many times checking it’s operation. I have busted one SRO and damaged an X300V-A twice doing such and in all that unofficial testing, I’ve had exactly one instance where I experienced a dead trigger after a drop from approx 40 foot onto the lawn. I would have trouble believing a factory Glock trigger wouldn’t have been susceptible to some similar undesired result as well. I’ve posted video demonstrations of me abusing my Alpha equipped Glocks. Barring anyone screwing with the plunger safety spring or messing with the pre-travel screw, the Timney Alpha does not defeat nor does it disable any of the drop safeties. It provides a shorter and lighter break. It’s a clean trigger. It’s only real fault is a rather weak feeling reset.

ETA: These are vids taken when I happened to think about it while knocking it around some. Many times, I didn’t video it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdPWFmRkwhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP8VNQ1VpCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzzL_bDWJhY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you just take a Timney and drop it in the trigger tab isn’t always engaging the frame. There was at least one thread here where a guy dropped his Glock and it went off in his apartment, the Timney trigger tab wasn’t doing anything as it came set too far back on the pretravel.

They’ve also gotten that way after some use even if set up correctly in the beginning.

I don’t trust them at all. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you just take a Timney and drop it in the trigger tab isn’t always engaging the frame. There was at least one thread here where a guy dropped his Glock and it went off in his apartment, the Timney trigger tab wasn’t doing anything as it came set too far back on the pretravel.

They’ve also gotten that way after some use even if set up correctly in the beginning.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that. Someone installed it for him. That’s where I would start asking questions. It was easily seen from the video. Not saying someone messed with the pre-travel screw but…what would be your first thought?

ETA: No offense but that’s why I said barring messing with the pre-travel screw earlier. A quick inspection would have prevented that from ever happening.

ETAx2: Also, there are other pre-travel adjustable triggers out there. Could have been any one of them if they were so grossly adjusted out of spec.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So what you're saying is the drop safeties work as intended because the Timney leaves them intact. I've dropped, thrown, smacked, and hammered on mine many times checking it's operation. I have busted one SRO and damaged an X300V-A twice doing such and in all that unofficial testing, I've had exactly one instance where I experienced a dead trigger after a drop from approx 40 foot onto the lawn. I would have trouble believing a factory Glock trigger wouldn't have been susceptible to some similar undesired result as well. I've posted video demonstrations of me abusing my Alpha equipped Glocks. Barring anyone screwing with the plunger safety spring or messing with the pre-travel screw, the Timney Alpha does not defeat nor does it disable any of the drop safeties. It provides a shorter and lighter break. It's a clean trigger. It's only real fault is a rather weak feeling reset.

View Quote
What I am saying is that the Timney trigger can and will fail the drop test and it will release the firing pin. We've had this argument before and there is plenty of evidence that it can and will happen even though it did not happen to you. You are a sample of one against many examples.

Now as long as the firing pin safety plunger is working AND one has not adjusted too much pre or post travel out, then the pistol should not fire.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What I am saying is that the Timney trigger can and will fail the drop test and it will release the firing pin. We've had this argument before and there is plenty of evidence that it can and will happen even though it did not happen to you. You are a sample of one against many examples.

Now as long as the firing pin safety plunger is working AND one has not adjusted too much pre or post travel out, then the pistol should not fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you're saying is the drop safeties work as intended because the Timney leaves them intact. I've dropped, thrown, smacked, and hammered on mine many times checking it's operation. I have busted one SRO and damaged an X300V-A twice doing such and in all that unofficial testing, I've had exactly one instance where I experienced a dead trigger after a drop from approx 40 foot onto the lawn. I would have trouble believing a factory Glock trigger wouldn't have been susceptible to some similar undesired result as well. I've posted video demonstrations of me abusing my Alpha equipped Glocks. Barring anyone screwing with the plunger safety spring or messing with the pre-travel screw, the Timney Alpha does not defeat nor does it disable any of the drop safeties. It provides a shorter and lighter break. It's a clean trigger. It's only real fault is a rather weak feeling reset.

Yes we have discussed this before. The concerns you have are valid but are as valid with any modifications whether they be partial mods or full systems. Even changes to stock parts can net undesired operation (BTDT). Care must be taken and vetting must be done if you're going to modify anything on your firearm, especially when it comes to the firing system. For instance, one thing I refuse to mess with are lighter plunger springs. Just a bad idea in my mind. For now, I haven’t found a need to mess with trigger pre-travel and doubt I will in the future (as long as it’s already properly set).

ETA: As I’ve stated before, once installed, I’ve checked my Alpha triggers multiple ways and I’d say in rather obscene manners. They’ve taken a good bit of abuse and remained solid, my Gen 3 more so than my Gen 4. Take it for what you will.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I’m a couple thousand rounds in on
The taran tactical kit with zero issues.
It’s only like $40 to boot. Ive got several hundred rounds on an overwatch precision dat shoe (the aluminum not the poly) and its given me some issues but I haven’t decided yet if it’s me or the trigger. I think it’s me getting too high on the trigger and not disengagi by the safety all the way. I think the dongle is a little farther down than on the oem trigger
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Overwatch Precision DAT or TAC on a factory OEM Glock trigger bar. I did the DAT's on my G19.5 MOS & G48 MOS.

If not mistaken, they're LE agency approved in some areas. They've been doing Glock triggers for quite some time, I've got no issues using them in my guns.

The 19.5 is setup for HD, the 48 is my carry gun.

Edit: Forgot to add Apex. They're a safe bet as well. I've never done one in a Glock, but did one on a previous FN509 Mid. Made a world of difference.

Edit II: Yeah, Johnny Glock is another great option. That dude has serious Zen in the Glock world. I've watched all of his YouTube vids, he's very knowledgeable..
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Overwatch Precision DAT or TAC on a factory OEM Glock trigger bar. I did the DAT's on my G19.5 MOS & G48 MOS.

If not mistaken, they're LE agency approved in some areas. They've been doing Glock triggers for quite some time, I've got no issues using them in my guns.
View Quote

I've had two TACs so far snap off half their trigger safties.   Both were used between 15,000-18,000 rounds prior.  They kept on shooting  so not super concerned in a defensive role and I do still carry with them with much lower round counts, but since this effectively disabled every internal safety it's something to watch out for.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had an Overwatch Precision TAC in a Gen 3 G17 for a few years now. Been 100% safe and reliable.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:I've had two TACs so far snap off half their trigger safeties.   Both were used between 15,000-18,000 rounds prior.  They kept on shooting  so not super concerned in a defensive role and I do still carry with them with much lower round counts, but since this effectively disabled every internal safety it's something to watch out for.
View Quote

Really.. that's not good at all! Have you reached out to them and let them know? I'm sure they'll take care of you.

I'm certainly not going to go that high of a round count on either of mine (at least I don't intend to, but ya never know over the years..)

Let us know what OP has to say. I'd be interested to see if they do indeed stand behind their stuff.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't trust any of the after market trigger bar and connectors, including the GPT.
Anything I tried, eventually got put back to factory trigger bars and connectors, and I replaced the factory shoes with Tango Down shoes.

Jay

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't trust any of the after market trigger bar and connectors, including the GPT.
Anything I tried, eventually got put back to factory trigger bars and connectors, and I replaced the factory shoes with Tango Down shoes.

Jay
View Quote

I agree that factory trigger bar & connector on anything but a range toy / competition gun should stay factory. Trigger shoe from someone else? Sure why not. That's what I did on both of mine (OP has the option of Glock trigger bar when selecting.) It's polished, but I like that part.

Heavy trigger is not a problem for me, as long as the wall is defined and break is crisp.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Really.. that's not good at all! Have you reached out to them and let them know? I'm sure they'll take care of you.

I'm certainly not going to go that high of a round count on either of mine (at least I don't intend to, but ya never know over the years..)

Let us know what OP has to say. I'd be interested to see if they do indeed stand behind their stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I've had two TACs so far snap off half their trigger safeties.   Both were used between 15,000-18,000 rounds prior.  They kept on shooting  so not super concerned in a defensive role and I do still carry with them with much lower round counts, but since this effectively disabled every internal safety it's something to watch out for.

Oh, yes.   They repaired it both times without much hassle after an email or two with pictures.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The trigger housing has a ledge in it that prevents the cruciform from dropping until it is moved far enough to the rear (via pressing the trigger).

What you are assuming could happen in a Glock, IE, the cruciform dropping, allowing the striker forward and being stopped by the firing pin safety, simply isn't possible on an unmodified factory Glock trigger.

So long short, no, the OEM trigger would not have been dead like that.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m a couple thousand rounds in on
The taran tactical kit with zero issues.
It’s only like $40 to boot. Ive got several hundred rounds on an overwatch precision dat shoe (the aluminum not the poly) and its given me some issues but I haven’t decided yet if it’s me or the trigger. I think it’s me getting too high on the trigger and not disengagi by the safety all the way. I think the dongle is a little farther down than on the oem trigger
View Quote

@blk99sleekbeak got a link to that taran kit? I wanna do a cheap trigger on my psa dagger.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a gpt trigger that I haven’t installed. I’m on the fence about it since it requires more maintenance than the stock trigger and I’m okay with the stock trigger. I had bought it cause my 19 had a bad trigger but something happened, that after I took the slide apart to send it to get milled and I put it backtogether, its been fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The trigger housing has a ledge in it that prevents the cruciform from dropping until it is moved far enough to the rear (via pressing the trigger).

What you are assuming could happen in a Glock, IE, the cruciform dropping, allowing the striker forward and being stopped by the firing pin safety, simply isn't possible on an unmodified factory Glock trigger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re probably correct.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I’ve tried a few over the years but switched back to OEM

After a couple thousand rounds they do get better but more importantly YOU get better.

All my Glocks are pretty plain jane as I’m more focused on improving my skills through training.

If I were going to pick one it’d probably be Apex

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:Oh, yes.   They repaired it both times without much hassle after an email or two with pictures.
View Quote

That’s good to hear, and what I’d expect from them. Thanks for posting up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I had an old Zev "duty" trigger in my G4 23. I converted that to my G3 23. Thousands of rounds since 2012 without a single problem.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not the striker that's slipping in those cases. What's going on is that sometimes the trigger safety might not be built to spec, either due to tolerance stacking or incorrect installation of the trigger. What happens is when it falls at a certain angle, usually at the tip of the frame where the rear of the slide meets and the bottom of the frame grip is, that's a good angle where the trigger could be pulled. So there's no safety feature because the trigger is actually being pulled but just by inertia. Just imagine for a second you have something in your truck bed and you didn't tie it down. What happens when you stop suddenly? The object continues forward. That's the same thing with a trigger. When you drop the gun on the ground, the weight of the trigger is continuing to travel back. Since the glock is very light and usually a timney trigger is made of aluminium/metal, the weight is still traveling backwards and will pull the trigger unless something stops it (which is the middle trigger that has a forward spring that prevents it from going backwards).

A good way to test this is simply by trying to pull the trigger (unloaded of course) and seeing if you can pull the trigger all the way. If the middle trigger safety works, then you won't be able to just pull the trigger without having to pull the middle safety lever. If you can, then it will fail that drop test or potential hazard while in holster of where the trigger is pulled.

Also, as far as I know, Timney is a good trigger and it includes a return spring with it that helps not only in the reset of faster trigger pull but also keeping the trigger forward to stop a drop fire.As I said you want to make sure you install that trigger correctly because there is a slight possibility when installing it that you don't have the middle trigger safety lever in the right position and it doesn't get blocked by the frame when only the trigger is pulled.

As far as I know, if you called glock and asked them about the Timney aftermarket trigger, they will tell you that it is the most common trigger they heard where people called and say their glock fired after dropping it. You have to make sure that middle trigger safety is working and if it does, you're in good shape. You just have to take extra time to make sure the trigger is installed correctly and that the safety is working as intended.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 3:12:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I have had 3 Glocks equipped with Agency Arms trigger setups and they have worked flawlessly for me.  

I also had one with an Apex, but it didn't see a lot of use so I can't comment on reliability.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's not the striker that's slipping in those cases. What's going on is that sometimes the trigger safety might not be built to spec, either due to tolerance stacking or incorrect installation of the trigger. What happens is when it falls at a certain angle, usually at the tip of the frame where the rear of the slide meets and the bottom of the frame grip is, that's a good angle where the trigger could be pulled. So there's no safety feature because the trigger is actually being pulled but just by inertia. Just imagine for a second you have something in your truck bed and you didn't tie it down. What happens when you stop suddenly? The object continues forward. That's the same thing with a trigger. When you drop the gun on the ground, the weight of the trigger is continuing to travel back. Since the glock is very light and usually a timney trigger is made of aluminium/metal, the weight is still traveling backwards and will pull the trigger unless something stops it (which is the middle trigger that has a forward spring that prevents it from going backwards).

A good way to test this is simply by trying to pull the trigger (unloaded of course) and seeing if you can pull the trigger all the way. If the middle trigger safety works, then you won't be able to just pull the trigger without having to pull the middle safety lever. If you can, then it will fail that drop test or potential hazard while in holster of where the trigger is pulled.

Also, as far as I know, Timney is a good trigger and it includes a return spring with it that helps not only in the reset of faster trigger pull but also keeping the trigger forward to stop a drop fire.As I said you want to make sure you install that trigger correctly because there is a slight possibility when installing it that you don't have the middle trigger safety lever in the right position and it doesn't get blocked by the frame when only the trigger is pulled.

As far as I know, if you called glock and asked them about the Timney aftermarket trigger, they will tell you that it is the most common trigger they heard where people called and say their glock fired after dropping it. You have to make sure that middle trigger safety is working and if it does, you're in good shape. You just have to take extra time to make sure the trigger is installed correctly and that the safety is working as intended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Referencing your subject - I’d be very suspicious of some poorly executed adjustment done to the pre-travel screw. Mind you, I’ve only two Timney Alpha triggers so it is limited experience but to be fair it is actual personal real-world experience. Each were bought and installed by me and there was some time between acquiring each. Pre-travel was set by factory and I found them satisfactory in both instances. I would mention again that I’ve done a little torture testing myself and other than a single instance of a dead trigger, the firearm did not suffer a failure that would have resulted in an AD had the firearm been loaded with live ammo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Top Top