Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2023 5:08:52 AM EDT
Anybody running a laser on their J frame ?
Curious about feed back
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to carry all my guns with crimson trace grips. then I shot a lot at night and learned a good bit about lasers. Now I own just one on a plinking 22 to show new shooters flinch.

a small j frame kinda maybe makes some sense if the sights are awful but honestly I would save the money.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. If you only have five rounds, it's important to maximize hit probability. And a laser facilitates shots from unusual positions, which is what you'll probably be in if you're deploying a back-up gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. If you only have five rounds, it's important to maximize hit probability. And a laser facilitates shots from unusual positions, which is what you'll probably be in if you're deploying a back-up gun.
View Quote

I've tried em on a couple of gun's in the past and they didn't stay on for long at all except my LCP which hasn't been taken out of the safe for 6-8 years. The 642 is strictly a pocket back up or in the house / npe, I shoot it fairy well but short radius, minimal sights and so so eye sight have me
making the same consideration's.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my friends has a set on his 442, I think Crimson Trace.  I've shot it and, in my personal opinion, it didn't improve my shooting (I used to shoot/carry my 642 a lot and still carry it sometimes) but I can also see Rodent's point if you were in a position where you were shooting past instinctive distances and you couldn't use your sights for some reason.  If you find the grips comfortable I certainly don't see any downside other than costs as long as you don't start relying in it.  I'm don't have any experience with how well they hold up under the recoil of a small framed gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an LG405 on my M&P 340 that I eventually sold.

The laser was hard to see during the day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Got Crimson Trace grips on two J Frames and I like them a lot.

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep a laser/light combo on my home defense gun (Beretta 92A1) and I like them.  The laser has very limited uses but it's nice to have if you ever find yourself in one of those situations.  It's just an extra tool in the toolbox.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I have CT lasers on 2 of my J-frames. I don’t have lasers on any of my other guns.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking LG-405's rather than 105's, seems like they're worth the extra money,
Just don't want any more pocket bulk than the original grips
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm thinking LG-405's rather than 105's, seems like they're worth the extra money,
View Quote

I have one of each (LG-105 on the 642 and LG-405 on the 442). I’d say the 105 is closer in dimensions to the factory grips, but I like the 405 considerably better. The 405’s have a soft rubber backstrap with helps a little with recoil, and adds a little more depth to the grip, the side panels are hard plastic so there’s no soft rubber to catch on clothing, plus I think the side to side dimensions of the 405’s are actually slimmer than the factory grips.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 4:12:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have one of each (LG-105 on the 642 and LG-405 on the 442). I’d say the 105 is closer in dimensions to the factory grips, but I like the 405 considerably better. The 405’s have a soft rubber backstrap with helps a little with recoil, and adds a little more depth to the grip, the side panels are hard plastic so there’s no soft rubber to catch on clothing, plus I think the side to side dimensions of the 405’s are actually slimmer than the factory grips.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42058/IMG_2810_jpeg-2864508.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42058/IMG_2810_jpeg-2864508.JPG

Looks like the 405's actual profile foot print isn't much different than the original but would fill in the slight void's I have at middle finger and web of my hand. Thanks very much for the pic, appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#12]
As someone that used to work for CTC when they were in Oregon and did the Shot show circuit for them, I can tell you hundreds of stories from people with the J frame laser where the opponents simply SAW the laser itself and the threat stopped.

I myself on my LCP have had the threats get downsized and run away after seeing the laser either on the ground or painted on themselves.

My last incident was at my army reunion last year in May of 2022 in downtown Reno. Guy came at me with a knife, him simply seeing the laser, he dropped the knife and ran.

I've interviewed suspects as part of my research and part of my job for Crimson Trace and every suspect said that the laser just gave them a "OH SHIT moment of pause"

Well over a dozen suspects told me the same thing in their dazed and confused state, the red laser on them gave a heavy dose of reality that "SHITS GONNA GET FUCKEN REAL".

End of the day, they are a useful tool and I'm proud of my time with them.

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I keep a laser/light combo on my home defense gun (Beretta 92A1) and I like them.  The laser has very limited uses but it's nice to have if you ever find yourself in one of those situations.  It's just an extra tool in the toolbox.
View Quote

This right here. Mine is a G17 though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 4:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Regular J frame sights disappear in anything but broad daylight. Even the upgraded sights like the XS on the M&P 340 aren't particularly great.

Laser is a must have unless you only go out in the daytime...LG405's on my 342 soak up recoil like crazy for extended range sessions and are comfy without being overly large for carry.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Is it my imagination or didn't they used to offer a green laser version at one time too?  For whatever reason, I tend to pick up/acquire the green faster, especially during daylight.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is it my imagination or didn't they used to offer a green laser version at one time too?  For whatever reason, I tend to pick up/acquire the green faster, especially during daylight.  
View Quote

I think that's the full grip 305
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got Crimson Trace grips on two J Frames and I like them a lot.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Oops, double tap
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks!...appreciate all the feedback
Ordered a 405 this morning.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
405s are great. I put my old 305s on my grandpas 360. He needed something easier to hang onto than the factory boot grips
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I've carried my S&W 640 with CT laser grips on them for 10-20 years.  Personally, I love them.  I have the boot style ones, which sacrifice grip comfort for being nice and short.

Have blasted a lot of rounds out of it, with no issues from the laser.

Good and bright and night, which is when you'll need it most likely, and much better aiming ability than with the sights on the gun.  Plus for all you know, you'll be using one hand to keep the criminal at bay and need to shoot them using some totally non-isosceles aggressive stance or whatever the latest gun posture flavor of the month is, and the laser would be very useful compared to how you'd shoot at a range.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#22]
405's showed up late Friday, so far only 50 rds or so through the 642 including sight in but,
repeated good hits on 7 yd 5-5-5 drill's and fist size groups at 25 yds are a definite improvement.
The 405's do help mitigate recoil and don't add any real bulk or foot print in the pocket, I did
add a small horizontal strip of grip tape on each side panel, below the screw from the front
rubber strap to the rear edge, makes for a solid grip with no impact on carry or draw.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I believe lasers are still relevant for certain situations. On a revolver,especially a smaller gun, they do help with shot placement. I have only one gun that has a laser and is my h.d. gun. It is a Shield that came with the laser built into the frame and I am quite impressed with it's ability to be used and how well it actually lines up my shots.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As someone that used to work for CTC when they were in Oregon and did the Shot show circuit for them, I can tell you hundreds of stories from people with the J frame laser where the opponents simply SAW the laser itself and the threat stopped.

I myself on my LCP have had the threats get downsized and run away after seeing the laser either on the ground or painted on themselves.

My last incident was at my army reunion last year in May of 2022 in downtown Reno. Guy came at me with a knife, him simply seeing the laser, he dropped the knife and ran.

I've interviewed suspects as part of my research and part of my job for Crimson Trace and every suspect said that the laser just gave them a "OH SHIT moment of pause"

Well over a dozen suspects told me the same thing in their dazed and confused state, the red laser on them gave a heavy dose of reality that "SHITS GONNA GET FUCKEN REAL".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of CT.  I have the lasergrips on most of my J-frames and both my SP-101s.

I also have the light/laser combo on both of my XDS, and two of my S&W Shields. I have a Streamlight TLR-6 on a third Shield but it has awkward controls and it's not nearly as nice as the CT LL-801.  I mainly got them for the onboard weapon light, but the laser is a nice bonus. Just the other day, I was shooting one of the Shields in low light and it was pretty easy (and fun!) to shoot from a retention position using the light/laser. I was hitting 6" steel gongs at 7-10Y with ease.  

I used to call CT once a year and they'd give me free batteries for all my lasers. I'm not sure if they still do that.

Quoted:
I have the boot style ones, which sacrifice grip comfort for being nice and short.

Same here. Those grips are actually quite good for pocket carry. Even if the laser died and if I didn't want to replace it, I'd still keep those grips on the gun.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got several sets of CTC grips on my 442, G19, M9 and M1911s.  My 442 is my EDC pocket gun when I'm home.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got several sets of CTC grips on my 442, G19, M9 and M1911s.  My 442 is my EDC pocket gun when I'm home.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5435_JPG-2881694.JPG
View Quote

I have some similar laser sights for my Glock.  I like it - can keep the same holsters, and use the laser with a suppressor, or for shooting when you're not able to look down the sights.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I like the 405. The padding in the rear of the grip is nice. Especially when using .357s.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not fond of them. I'd spend the money on ammo, maybe a grip that points better for you, and practice point-shooting a lot. You'll be amazed how good you can get at point shooting with a small gun after enough practice, especially if you find grips that make the j-frame line up perfectly for your hand. For me the old-fashioned magna grips plus a BK grip adaptor were the perfect combination to make my 340 feel like an extension of my hand. If it weren't for the low ammo capacity it'd be the only gun I ever carried.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I had them on several revolvers but all the Crimson Trace models started melting.  Rubber turned sticky and started oozing off.  

They were kind of useless to begin with, aside from the green laser model I have on a 1911 which is actually pretty nice.  The 1911 grips are only 2 years old and already starting to get sticky.   I don't think I'll be buying any Crimson Trace products again since they seem to have a problem sourcing quality rubber.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had them on several revolvers but all the Crimson Trace models started melting.  Rubber turned sticky and started oozing off.  

They were kind of useless to begin with, aside from the green laser model I have on a 1911 which is actually pretty nice.  The 1911 grips are only 2 years old and already starting to get sticky.   I don't think I'll be buying any Crimson Trace products again since they seem to have a problem sourcing quality rubber.
View Quote

Must be a newer source than mine that are close to 20 yrs old.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey MK318, what speed loader holder is that?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#32]
It is a Safariland speed loader. I forget which model. It’s the one for the J frame. I haven’t been using them though, I’ve since bought four SL Variant speed loaders. They are not the original, the patent expired and now a company in Japan makes a replica version. It works exactly like the original and is in my opinion the best speed loader on the market currently. They are expensive but man are they fast.

The Safariland are good, they work similarly to the SL Variant but are kind of a pain to load because you have to twist this little non-textured knob on the underside of the speed loader. Additionally there is no texture on the sides and a tiny nub on the top which can make loading difficult if your hands are wet. The SL variant is very easy to load and plenty of texture so loading even with wet hands is easy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the info, but I was asking about the kydex pocket holder for the speed loaders. I've never seen one like it, who makes it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, but I was asking about the kydex pocket holder for the speed loaders. I've never seen one like it, who makes it?
View Quote

https://aholster.com/aholster-bactrian/
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome, thanks a bunch!
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Solvent/oil on your hands?
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Solvent/oil on your hands?
View Quote

Can't really rule that out but I only use Ballistol, keep it off the grips, and wear gloves when cleaning.  None of the factory rubber grips have dissolved like these have.  Also have Pachmayr and Hogue grips that are still solid.

I've replaced the melty Crimson Trace products with nice checkered wood grips on larger frames or the excellent Desantis J Frame Clip-grip which according to their website is now discontinued but can still be found for purchase.

I do miss having a laser option but it's not that big a deal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I will say that I tried a laser on my J-frame and put it on a guy who was trying to be a criminal. He stopped what he was doing and raised his hands and backed away. In that respect it saved me ammo. He realized what was about to happen.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I will say that I tried a laser on my J-frame and put it on a guy who was trying to be a criminal. He stopped what he was doing and raised his hands and backed away. In that respect it saved me ammo. He realized what was about to happen.
View Quote

I’ve heard this a few times. I hope I never have to experience this phenomenon myself though. I wonder what it is about the laser that it redirects their focus and they change course.
Top Top