Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2023 4:28:32 PM EDT
Besides the smaller Ruger LCR and Smith 642/442, what other decent .38 specials are out there that work for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of things depending on size and weight preferences.  Depends on your carry style.  Pocket carry will limit you to the J frames and LCR for the most part.  If you want to go holster carry there's a dozen or more options.  K frame Smiths, Ruger GP, Colt King Cobra, just to name a few.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The Taurus 856 has gotten a lot of positive discussion on various forums.
The new Colts and Kimbers seem well liked too.
It kind of depends on the features and price point you're looking for.
If you really want 6 shots, then Smith and Ruger are out.
All of them suffer from the "We have a great warranty so you're the QC/QA" syndrome of the beancounter era of guns we find ourselves in.
They'll make it right, eventually.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
While folks like to bash on them, the Charter Arms Off-Duty should be considered. Yes, they will not hold up to a steady diet of +P loads, but regular old 148gr wadcutters work as well as anything else.
The Charco guns are the ones that gave them a bad rep, but the new ones are significantly better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Charter Arms UC very light weight for CCW

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Upon occasion for a quick run to town, I'll slip this on.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Kimber K6S
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I carried a 640 Centennial as my first off duty gun but it was heavy AF for its size. Even carried a ported Rossi .357 (always with .38 Spcl +P+) like the one below. Also a 2" S&W 66 w/ 38+P+. I had buddies who carried Taurus M85 and Charter Arms .38s. Seems like if a Taurus, Rossi, or Charter Arms gun is good out of the box then its a helluva gun.  Any issues at all and its refund time.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Charter Arms UC very light weight for CCW
https://i.postimg.cc/Ss6v6ttB/Charter-Arms-UC.jpg

View Quote

I carry a Charter Arms 2000 SS Undercover every day at work in my pocket. It is DA only, having a bobbed hammer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#9]
2 and 3" M10
Attachment Attached File

2" M15
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I've handled a couple of the new Taurus 856 guns and would like to try shooting a regular and ultralight version.  Would I carry it, maybe, after a couple hundred rounds, same as any other gun I'd carry.  I like my 360 for carry but it's not fun to shoot; I still carry the 642 far more often than the 360.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've handled a couple of the new Taurus 856 guns and would like to try shooting a regular and ultralight version.  Would I carry it, maybe, after a couple hundred rounds, same as any other gun I'd carry.  I like my 360 for carry but it's not fun to shoot; I still carry the 642 far more often than the 360.
View Quote

Have you tried the 360 with wadcutters?

I'm always interested to see when guys who have the scandium guns and the airweight (aluminum) ones, explain that the extra ~3oz changes the shooting characteristics dramatically
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, to add:
- Kimber K6XS (just came out, .38 lightweight model)

- Colt Cobra
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Look for a Taurus Total Titanium revolver in .357 or .38. They are super lightweight. I have 2 of them in .44 special and .45 Colt.  They also had a magnesium frame revolver that I have only ever seen one of them at a gun show years ago.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/TOTAL+TITANIUM+TAURUS.-a061620970
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm always interested to see when guys who have the scandium guns and the airweight (aluminum) ones, explain that the extra ~3oz changes the shooting characteristics dramatically
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the lighter the load the easier it is to shoot (obviously) but it's really surprising how much of a difference even those few once make and I'm not that recoil sensitive.  I'm starting to get some arthritis in my left thumb (old skier's thumb type injuries) but can still handle shooting.  I've shot probably fifty or so full power .357s through it, including ten rounds as fast as I could get them on target, but it's still the least pleasant revolver I've owned.  My 360 is the 3" so the 642 is a bit more compact and I've had it so long I've kind of got ways to carry it worked out; ex. stick it in a Ziploc and it fits in my pfd pocket (that has a flap with side release buckle to help prevent loss).  I usually carry either Speer .38 +P GDHP or 158gr SWCHP (and a CCI snake shot depending on where I'm going).  I know it's not a popular opinion in the era of 10mm and such but while I've got bigger, larger caliber guns (including 10mm), just based on my own experiences and study, I don't think there's much on this coast a good .38spl won't work on.  Plus there's a bit of nostalgia, I just like carrying a revolver, especially in the woods.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, the lighter the load the easier it is to shoot (obviously) but it's really surprising how much of a difference even those few once make and I'm not that recoil sensitive.  I'm starting to get some arthritis in my left thumb (old skier's thumb type injuries) but can still handle shooting.  I've shot probably fifty or so full power .357s through it, including ten rounds as fast as I could get them on target, but it's still the least pleasant revolver I've owned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, the lighter the load the easier it is to shoot (obviously) but it's really surprising how much of a difference even those few once make and I'm not that recoil sensitive.  I'm starting to get some arthritis in my left thumb (old skier's thumb type injuries) but can still handle shooting.  I've shot probably fifty or so full power .357s through it, including ten rounds as fast as I could get them on target, but it's still the least pleasant revolver I've owned.

Thing I always hear from revolver BTDTs, the most unpleasant guns they've ever shot:
- 360/340 in .357
- The 329 in .44

I do wonder if a 340 is viable when shooting wadcutters though

My 360 is the 3" so the 642 is a bit more compact and I've had it so long I've kind of got ways to carry it worked out; ex. stick it in a Ziploc and it fits in my pfd pocket (that has a flap with side release buckle to help prevent loss).  I usually carry either Speer .38 +P GDHP or 158gr SWCHP (and a CCI snake shot depending on where I'm going).  I know it's not a popular opinion in the era of 10mm and such but while I've got bigger, larger caliber guns (including 10mm), just based on my own experiences and study, I don't think there's much on this coast a good .38spl won't work on.  Plus there's a bit of nostalgia, I just like carrying a revolver, especially in the woods.

I don't think you have bear in your AO, so your hunch is probably right, being honest

SB GDHPs are a classic round for sure
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thing I always hear from revolver BTDTs, the most unpleasant guns they've ever shot:
- 360/340 in .357
- The 329 in .44

I do wonder if a 340 is viable when shooting wadcutters though

I don't think you have bear in your AO, so your hunch is probably right, being honest

SB GDHPs are a classic round for sure
View Quote

They're definitely interesting to shoot with real .357s; I've described it as getting whacked in the hand with a hammer handle but I've also heard people describe it as catching a fastball without a glove or having a firecracker go off in your hand.  I don't really mind .44s, Ruger only .45s, .454s etc but the little Scandium guns are something else.  I still want a 386 though.    If you can shoot a revolver you can handle one and the gun itself is as accurate as any other comparable gun, it's just not something you're going to take to the range and put a couple hundred rounds of even .38 +Ps though for fun unless you're a masochist.

We have black bears but I've been around them and never worried too much about them (use good hiking/camp practices).  A good .38 load will work on dogs, hogs, snakes and weirdos, which are really the main reasons I carry a gun.  I've traveled, hiked and backpacked plenty of places without a gun and for a while I just carried a .22 (guess you could call that my "bushcrafter" phase ).  If I remember to, I swap the rounds in the gun for 158gr "Keith" style when I'm in the mountains.  If I lived somewhere with moose or brown bears then I'd carry something heavier and I do swap up guns for various reasons or just because, but I've never really felt undergunned with a five shot snubbie for most outdoor recreation except when I've come up on a grow operation (and a 10mm or even an AR wouldn't have made me feel much better; I just backed up and left).  If I'm being honest, part of the reason is also nostaligia, same reason I usually carry a revolver while hunting.    

I've carried various revolvers over the years, including the 642, as a primary CCW, and I'm not really averse to it, but I'm also a realist and have always shot a pistol faster and of course they're faster to reload so my normal, non-woods, carry is usually some form of pistol.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
My sw air weight recoil pain was the thumb knuckle getting chewed by the cyl release.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I re-barreled a LEO trade in M10 4" with a M10 3" barrel found on the internet.. I don't carry it, but wanted a M13 clone if restrictive ownership is around the corner...
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Besides the smaller Ruger LCR and Smith 642/442, what other decent .38 specials are out there that work for concealed carry.
View Quote

"concealed carry" is too broad of a term for you to get useful answers.
Define it down, there are people here who work in environments that will result in losing their livelyhood if they print. There are others who care nothing about printing/open carry.
More info would allow you responses from people experienced in similar environments. My input is likely useless to you, I could carry an 6" N-frame loaded with 38 specials with no issue.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Pocket Carry:  Smith 442

Belt Holster: 3-4" Smith or Ruger. It would be pretty hard to beat a 4' model 10 or 15.

I like the looks of the Taurus 856 but I can't bring myself to buy one based on previous Taurus experience( I also have a 3" Model 13).
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 4:18:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I pocket carry a 642 daily, generally with a 365XL or P10C AIWB, have an LCR which is a good shooter but the long reset can be problematic for me once in a while, despite being nearly the same size as the 642, I find the 642 to be noticeably a better pocket carry. I picked up an 856 Defender 3" ona whim, its a good shooter, a little large for pocket but a 6 shot, generally if I'm belt carrying, it wont be a revolver.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Kimber K6s is better than the LCR or Smith
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on if you’re pocket carrying it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I stopped carrying my 642 a long time ago.

I now pocket carry an SP-101 because I want a 357 that I can shoot accurately, repeatedly. That's more important to me than the weight or size when carrying. I can actually shoot the SP101 loaded with 357s better than I ever could my S&W 642 loaded with 38 special +Ps.

Before the Ruger, I pocket carried a full SS S&W 649. I could shoot it well with any 38 special ammo I tried. I just don't have confidence in 38 special anymore.

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They're definitely interesting to shoot with real .357s; I've described it as getting whacked in the hand with a hammer handle but I've also heard people describe it as catching a fastball without a glove or having a firecracker go off in your hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They're definitely interesting to shoot with real .357s; I've described it as getting whacked in the hand with a hammer handle but I've also heard people describe it as catching a fastball without a glove or having a firecracker go off in your hand.

I've heard that even for experienced shooters, about 10 rounds (2 cylinders worth) of real .357 is about what they'll do before calling it a day

It's amazing to hear that those 11oz 357s are basically the shooting equivalent of doing an ultra-spicy food challenge
BUT that in a 22oz steel frame version, it goes from insane to "Super jumpy".

I don't really mind .44s, Ruger only .45s, .454s etc but the little Scandium guns are something else.  I still want a 386 though.    If you can shoot a revolver you can handle one and the gun itself is as accurate as any other comparable gun, it's just not something you're going to take to the range and put a couple hundred rounds of even .38 +Ps though for fun unless you're a masochist.

I learned something today!

We have black bears but I've been around them and never worried too much about them (use good hiking/camp practices).  A good .38 load will work on dogs, hogs, snakes and weirdos, which are really the main reasons I carry a gun.  I've traveled, hiked and backpacked plenty of places without a gun and for a while I just carried a .22 (guess you could call that my "bushcrafter" phase ).  If I remember to, I swap the rounds in the gun for 158gr "Keith" style when I'm in the mountains.  If I lived somewhere with moose or brown bears then I'd carry something heavier and I do swap up guns for various reasons or just because, but I've never really felt undergunned with a five shot snubbie for most outdoor recreation except when I've come up on a grow operation (and a 10mm or even an AR wouldn't have made me feel much better; I just backed up and left).  If I'm being honest, part of the reason is also nostaligia, same reason I usually carry a revolver while hunting.    

I've carried various revolvers over the years, including the 642, as a primary CCW, and I'm not really averse to it, but I'm also a realist and have always shot a pistol faster and of course they're faster to reload so my normal, non-woods, carry is usually some form of pistol.

As much as I'm a pistol guy too, I'm finding myself appreciating the simplicity of a smooth revolver.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's crazy about the carry world- a few oz different can be a big deal, and few millimeters in size? same thing.
Some guys manage to AIWB carry fullblown competition guns, and for some, 22oz vs 14.5oz is a mile

People don't think "I'm legally allowed to carry but it's socially frowned upon in my AO, and slight printing isn't a no big deal situation", be like it is, but it do
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

"concealed carry" is too broad of a term for you to get useful answers.
Define it down, there are people here who work in environments that will result in losing their livelyhood if they print. There are others who care nothing about printing/open carry.
More info would allow you responses from people experienced in similar environments. My input is likely useless to you, I could carry an 6" N-frame loaded with 38 specials with no issue.
View Quote

Putting this the best I can...

I typically dont carry because I cant really carry most times, work related. When I do, it's a Glock 19X, which isnt terrible, but also not the greatest (for me personally) to carry. Something else work related, I specifically am worried about some Karen catching a glimpse of my gun printing, and they start raising shit over it. I live in PA, not far from the NY border, and people tend to think that because NY made such egregious laws about carrying a conceal firearm, they apply to PA as well.

So I would rather just avoid that bullshit if I can, so smaller gun with less chance to print is better. I am actually leaning towards either a Glock 43 (or maybe a 48) or a Sig P365. But, I honestly want to go with a revolver instead.
Having shot .357 out of a 6" barrel 686, im not sure how bad it is out of a snub nose or 3" barrel, and specially out of a lighter revolver. So I want to go with .38 for actual carry.

I also tend to carry IWB, between the 4 and 5 o clock positions. I likely wont pocket carry unless its winter and I have a jacket on, then I may do that for more comfort.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I typically dont carry because I cant really carry most times, work related. When I do, it's a Glock 19X, which isnt terrible, but also not the greatest (for me personally) to carry. Something else work related, I specifically am worried about some Karen catching a glimpse of my gun printing, and they start raising shit over it. I live in PA, not far from the NY border, and people tend to think that because NY made such egregious laws about carrying a conceal firearm, they apply to PA as well.

So I would rather just avoid that bullshit if I can, so smaller gun with less chance to print is better. I am actually leaning towards either a Glock 43 (or maybe a 48) or a Sig P365. But, I honestly want to go with a revolver instead.
Having shot .357 out of a 6" barrel 686, im not sure how bad it is out of a snub nose or 3" barrel, and specially out of a lighter revolver. So I want to go with .38 for actual carry.

I also tend to carry IWB, between the 4 and 5 o clock positions. I likely wont pocket carry unless its winter and I have a jacket on, then I may do that for more comfort.

View Quote

When I can’t carry a gun for whatever reason, I carry a G42.

On recoil vs weight, I’ve been shooting 100 rounds a day once or twice a week of full-tilt .357 with no unpleasantness using double-ears through a heavy ass GP100. I actually enjoy it. However, in my 442, I find anything above the lightest of .38 ammo to be painful, and even the lightest stuff isn’t as pleasurable. A little weight helps with recoil immensely, but less of it makes the gun more pocketable.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#29]
When I'm feeling nostalgic:
Attachment Attached File

When I want to carry my first BUG:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like you should check out a Phlster Enigma for a 642 with CT 405 grips or a 365. Start out wearing it for a few hours on the weekend make your adjustments for cant, ride height etc with the clothes you'd wear at work, it's likely one of the best options for carrying a formidable carry pistol for extended periods in a very npe. I've picked one up but, have only needed to use it on several occasions but, it works.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Airweight S&W's Model 37's, put a hip grip on it
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You could always go with a 3" K-frame .357, such as a Model 13 or 65, and just carry .38 SPL +P. Either one of those makes for a damn good carry gun and gives you the option of carrying .357 once you get more comfortable shooting it from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#34]
A classic!
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#35]
THREE-INCH BARREL --- Rossi

Attachment Attached File

NEW Rossi RP63 "Budget" .357 Revolver (Range Review) - TheFirearmGuy

BEST NEW BUDGET .357 Magnum Rossi RP63 3" 6-shot CCW Carry Revolver Ran HARD HOT & FAST Range Review

NEW BUDGET 6-shot .357 Magnum 3" CCW Carry Rossi RP63 Revolver UNBOXING!
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I typically dont carry because I cant really carry most times, work related. When I do, it's a Glock 19X, which isnt terrible, but also not the greatest (for me personally) to carry. Something else work related, I specifically am worried about some Karen catching a glimpse of my gun printing, and they start raising shit over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I typically dont carry because I cant really carry most times, work related. When I do, it's a Glock 19X, which isnt terrible, but also not the greatest (for me personally) to carry. Something else work related, I specifically am worried about some Karen catching a glimpse of my gun printing, and they start raising shit over it.

I'll see if I can find it, but on youtube there was a video with Darryl Bolke and a few other SMEs about the topic of carry guns and "non-permissive-environments".
They had a challenge for a few of the guys in their clique: Work a regular/standard/"retail" style job with a forward facing component, and do not print or get made.
These are gun guys, instructor types, LEO, etc NOT necessarily just "lifestyle youtubers" who are just fond of guns or trying to prove a point.
They're the right guys for the task.

The one who lasted the longest did it with a J-frame of some flavor.

IIRC The wheels would fall off in certain moments like: Customer hugs them. They have to get on the floor and retrieve something, or climb up, etc.
These things happen.

In carry friendly areas, no biggie. But not everyone has the same job/environment.
Printing is not "no biggie" for some situations.

I live in PA, not far from the NY border, and people tend to think that because NY made such egregious laws about carrying a conceal firearm, they apply to PA as well.

Consider "Getting both", trying both, and then perhaps carry as your clothing dictates for the day?
(Getting a Sig 365 or "baby glock", AND say a S&W J frame.)

A 686 with a 6in barrel is a great platform for 357
I think they weigh like 45oz* or something like that with the 6in full lug barrel.

Down around ~22oz (a steel frame small revolver) is the line where people lose interest in anything that isn't a mild .357 load
Dropping below that is like a spicy food challenge.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but people tend to like .38 when dropping into the ~15oz gun territory

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#38]
A J-frame Centennial Airweight is hard to beat for CCW.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#39]
My favorite method of carry is pocket carry. Works best with my lifestyle and the Arizona heat. When practiced draw is very fast ( no garment to clear for example) and you can even walk around with your hand in your pocket already gripping the gun and no one is the wiser. In that instance nothing else is faster into action.
For really deep cover a ruger LCPII and I also have a couple J frames.

I recently picked up the air weight, and furthest I have shot it so far is 50 feet, but at that distance with concentrated effort, can hold a 3” or so group.
With wadcutters I think it is more comfortable to shoot than the ruger
Top Top