Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2004 10:48:24 AM EDT
I must be the guy that gets the clunkers because this is the third gun I bought last year that is having excessive wear problems.

With just under 900 rounds the little hump on top of the left rear rail is getting a crater in it. The left top rail is also getting badly eaten away in one spot.

I sent an email and pictures to Walther/S&W and they said send it in. Well, today I received it back and they did not fix it. They instead said the wear marks are normal.

All that heavy wear sure explains all the problems I was having with FTF and FTE. The slide must be slowed down by all the scraping and friction.

I have the model with the chrome slide. I can't find any wear marks on the slide itself.

Is anybody having similar problems as they approach 1000 rds?

edited to add photos
Link Posted: 2/11/2004 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm up over 2000 rnds. No problems since I sent it in for repair Jan. 2003 (got it Sept '02).
Walrep (S&W) replaced the firing pin spring, shaved down the top of the hammer (eliminated friction), and "fixed" the safety.
Here's my "Normal" wear...

Link Posted: 2/11/2004 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Walther's big mistake was in their choice of slide & other metal parts material.
They really should have used the same stuff as in the P99, nice quality in that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2004 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Since they call this "normal wear" I will not be buying anymore Walther/S&W potmetal trash.

I have an older Walther .22 with no noticeable wear in over a dozen years. What gives with the new models?

It seriously looks like the slides were not heat treated.

I will keep shooting it and post updated pictures here as it wears itself down.
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine has about 1000 rnds through & it has a little wear - same spot as yours, but less.  I looked at the slide & this might be happening when the open slide is pulled back to release it.  I can see where the slide might be rubbing.  I'll be keeping an eye on mine to see if it gets any worse but at this point, it doesn't appear to be a problem.  It could have been made with better tolerances in this case, but so far, I like the gun.
Link Posted: 3/8/2004 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I like mine for what it is.
An affordable plinker.
Link Posted: 3/8/2004 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I sent mine in because the slide was getting excessive wear from the slide release.  Stopped locking the slide back on the last round.

Hmmm...  I sent it in about two weeks ago, what was the turn around time on yours?

TRG
Link Posted: 3/8/2004 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]

It was just over two weeks to get it back.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top