Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2010 8:49:14 AM EDT
Just wondering if dry firing a Glock repeatedly will hurt the weapon at all?

I need to work on my trigger squeeze and i read where that helps.

Are there any other drills that I can do to help me practice?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
It will help your Glock trigger.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It will help your Glock trigger.

-JC

This. Dry fire away.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
As already stated it will do nothing but help smooth your trigger out.  I usually dry fire for at least 15 minutes a day focusing mostly on my draw and emergency reloads with at least one trigger press per presentation.  Over the course of the last 5 years that is quite a few dry fires and I know guys that do much, much more than that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 to the other replies, it won't hurt it a bit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Dry fire away!
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Check the chamber first...
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
it's fine...PLEASE MAKE SURE IT'S UNLOADED
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1 and keep it pointed in a safe direction even after you have checked the chamber 3 times
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 and keep it pointed in a safe direction even after you have checked the chamber 3 times

If the gun's not loaded then it's not dryfire.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wetfire
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Be a man, Load it and dry fire while looking down the barrel. In all seriousness if someone went to my range on a weekend and seen some of the *noobs* we have out there they would ban guns for the safety of the stupid people. I seriously need to take some pictures of all the people that flag others and even themselves while they looking down the barrel of their gun to see if it's loaded.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies.

Ive been dry firing tonight...hope it helps with my trigger squeeze.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Ive been dry firing tonight...hope it helps with my trigger squeeze.

Thanks guys

It will.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
this is not a tag
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Is this picture meant to imply that dry-firing caused this?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I didn't say either way.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say either way.

So why post it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say either way.

So why post it?

To encourage discussion.  This is a discussion forum after all.  Do you know what caused it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say either way.

So why post it?

Agreed. This is how rumors are started. Anti-Glock Trolls feed on this kind of shit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To encourage discussion.  This is a discussion forum after all.  Do you know what caused it?

No I don't, but if it wasn't dry-fire then you are trolling a technical forum.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've taken up trolling after 10 years and 12,000 posts.  

Discussing whether or not this was caused by dry firing would be a technical discussion.  Perhaps I expected too much of this particular technical forum.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discussing whether or not this was caused by dry firing would be a technical discussion.  Perhaps I expected too much of this particular technical forum.

We're having a discussion about potential damage from dry fire. Is the picture of the cracked slide you posted in any way indicative of damage resulting from dry fire?

If not then you might as well just post 'KABOOM' and be done with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Generally dry-fire only hurts rimfire pistols, where the firing pin will actually hit the other side of the chamber or breech.  Not the case in a Glock.

If you're going to post a picture and imply that dry-firing caused it, at least ball up and take a stand, instead of just implying it and if someone makes a convincing enough argument to refute it, claim "I never said that!".  You're not encouraging discussion unless you start a discussion.  At least saying "do you think dry firing caused this?", in which case everyone will near-unanimously say "no, duh".

Come on.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We're having a discussion about potential damage from dry fire.

And the only acceptable answer appears to be that no damage will occur from dry firing.  Anything posted to the contrary is considered trolling.

Is the picture of the cracked slide you posted in any way indicative of damage resulting from dry fire?

Given that the breechface is pushed out I would say there is a possibility it was caused by dry firing.  There are some that feel the breechface is very thin on a Glock and the striker does hit it when the gun is dry fired.  

Again, do you know what caused the damage?  I don't have an opinion either way and I've owned a couple dozen Glocks so I'm hardly a troll.  I just posted the picture to encourage some thought on the subject.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Generally dry-fire only hurts rimfire pistols, where the firing pin will actually hit the other side of the chamber or breech.  Not the case in a Glock.

If you're going to post a picture and imply that dry-firing caused it, at least ball up and take a stand, instead of just implying it and if someone makes a convincing enough argument to refute it, claim "I never said that!".  You're not encouraging discussion unless you start a discussion.  At least saying "do you think dry firing caused this?", in which case everyone will near-unanimously say "no, duh".

Come on.

Wow, you're quite the sensitive bunch.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#27]
There are some that feel the breechface is very thin on a Glock and the striker does hit it when the gun is dry fired.

So, the breech face can stand up to the concussion of an explosion and the launching of a metal slug at the speed of sound, but can't stand up to the impact of a 2 ounce pin hitting it at maybe, what, 10 mph?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There are some that feel the breechface is very thin on a Glock and the striker does hit it when the gun is dry fired.

So, the breech face can stand up to the concussion of an explosion and the launching of a metal slug at the speed of sound, but can't stand up to the impact of a 2 ounce pin hitting it at maybe, what, 10 mph?

There's more support behind the breechface than there is in front of it.  Also, what would cause the breechface to push out in these failures?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Out of respect for ARDestructo's delicate sensibilities...

Does anyone know what caused this?

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Well sure, but it's solid.  The support will flex in both directions.  And the breech face is made of steel. No gunsmith will say dry firing a Glock will hurt it.  Glock won't even recommend against it.  In fact, the prevailing opinion on what to do with a newly purchased Glock is to dry fire it 500 times to break in the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well sure, but it's solid.  The support will flex in both directions.  And the breech face is made of steel. No gunsmith will say dry firing a Glock will hurt it.  Glock won't even recommend against it.  In fact, the prevailing opinion on what to do with a newly purchased Glock is to dry fire it 500 times to break in the trigger.

The question remains...what is causing the breechface failures?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#32]

So where did you cop the pic? Any other explanation on it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aye. Don't know.   But surely that it's in the outline of the casing is at least a clue.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#34]
If you have dry fired your GLOCK even once, it is now useless. Please send to me for proper disposal.

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You will note that the fracture is exactly where the case head pushes against the breech face. The cause is most likely due to firing numerous over pressure loads. Once broken, the firing pin merely pushes the center out.

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aye. Don't know.   But surely that it's in the outline of the casing is at least a clue.

Considering both pictures you posted appear to be of older guns with the 90 degree extractors, I am going to say a combination of age and poor maintenance. Heck, just look at that first pic you posted.  It looks like the slide rails are covered in copper shavings which to me would indicate some other problem to begin with. Then there is that second pic. Why does it look like it was done during some type of photo shoot and not a trip to the range like the first one? Then there is the fact that the cracks are about twice the diameter of the firing pin channel at the breach face and as ARDestructo said, they almost perfectly line up with the wear from where the case sits when in battery.  Along with the age and poor maintenance, I am going to throw in the possibility that there was a dirty firing pin channel and an extra power firing pin spring was being used to make up for the lack of cleaning along with the possibility of hot reloads battering the breach face.

ETA: GLOCKREAPER has spoken seems we reached the same conclusion on the hot reloads.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#37]
The copper-looking shavings is the factory lubricant that comes in the Glock (or at least used to).  Most people clean it out and use their own oil (like me), but some people leave it as it is.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You will note that the fracture is exactly where the case head pushes against the breech face. The cause is most likely due to firing numerous over pressure loads. Once broken, the firing pin merely pushes the center out.

That could be, although I'm not sure how overpressured you can get a 9mm or how likely it is that that is the cause in two different pistols.  The first picture is a Glock 17 that belonged to a Greek police officer.  The failure occured after 4000 rounds being fired.  Perhaps in the older Glocks, firing caused fatigue in the breechface allowing the striker to push the metal outward.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That could be, although I'm not sure how overpressured you can get a 9mm or how likely it is that that is the cause in two different pistols.  The first picture is a Glock 17 that belonged to a Greek police officer.  The failure occured after 4000 rounds being fired.  Perhaps in the older Glocks, firing caused fatigue in the breechface allowing the striker to push the metal outward.

It's a possibility that he just got a poorly machined slide that may have had metallurgical problems.  Not every sample that comes off any manufacturing line is going to be perfect.  It is clearly an issue (based on the location of the fracture) with the case impact against the breech face.  Perhaps dry-firing exacerbated the issue after it had already developed, but either way, that circle isn't where the striker impacts.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The first picture is a Glock 17 that belonged to a Greek police officer.  The failure occured after 4000 rounds being fired.

I'd bet anything he got into some Hirtenberger L7A1 or other Sub-machinegun only 9x19mm loads.

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wetfire

Loudfire?
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Allow me to be the first to say that dry fire did NOT cause that damage in the infamous pic above. No mount of dry fire would ever cause such damage. The picture does not promote discussion which is appropriate in a tech forum, more to the liking of the GD forum and those who ply the waters there. As a GLOCK armorer, I have never in my 15 years have seen dry fire cause such damage.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The copper-looking shavings is the factory lubricant that comes in the Glock (or at least used to).  Most people clean it out and use their own oil (like me), but some people leave it as it is.

the factory lube is copper anti-seize grease. and that gun looks like it has been run enough that all the factory lube would be long gone.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excessive dry firing as a trigger practice or trigger honing, will  cause the breeechface failure.  I had this very same thing happen to me a few  years ago. Sent the gun in to glock and they stated it was caused by dry firing. Call Glock and ask them what dry firing will do. I have pictures of my gun and the slide is now a paper weight.

Link Posted: 7/31/2010 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be a man, Load it and dry fire while looking down the barrel. In all seriousness if someone went to my range on a weekend and seen some of the *noobs* we have out there they would ban guns for the safety of the stupid people. I seriously need to take some pictures of all the people that flag others and even themselves while they looking down the barrel of their gun to see if it's loaded.

I on the other hand would promote guns, in order to thin-out the gene pool.

As to the OP's question, it's generally accepted that Glocks can be dryfired quite a bit with no problems.

Yes, I have seen pics before of damaged breechfaces, like the ones already posted.  It IS generally attributed to excessive dryfiring............although, it seems to be very rare..............I suspect this may occur in slides that were incorrectly machined to begin with (everyone makes mistakes, including Glock) or ones that have been weakened with higher-than-normal pressure ammo.

I've never heard how Glock itself defines "excessive dryfiring" either................what is it, 1,000 times, 10,000 times?

Personally, I think you'd have to work pretty damn hard, hours a day, to dryfire a Glock "excessively".

I've done it plenty with my own Glocks.

If ANYONE ever has any hesitation with this though..........remember, "snap-caps" are very cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I on the other hand would promote guns, in order to thin-out the gene pool.
As to the OP's question, it's generally accepted that Glocks can be dryfired quite a bit with no problems.
Yes, I have seen pics before of damaged breechfaces, like the ones already posted.  It IS generally attributed to excessive dryfiring............although, it seems to be very rare..............I suspect this may occur in slides that were incorrectly machined to begin with (everyone makes mistakes, including Glock) or ones that have been weakened with higher-than-normal pressure ammo.
I've never heard how Glock itself defines "excessive dryfiring" either................what is it, 1,000 times, 10,000 times?
Personally, I think you'd have to work pretty damn hard, hours a day, to dryfire a Glock "excessively".
I've done it plenty with my own Glocks.
If ANYONE ever has any hesitation with this though..........remember, "snap-caps" are very cheap insurance.

When the breach face breaks and you send the gun into Glock. You call them on the phone and check on your gun. They then label it as excessive dry firing. There is nothing on your part you can do as far as the labing. Dry firing with snap caps does not prevent the breach face from failing. The metal is quite thin in the breach face area where it breaks and firing pin hits it from the opposite side, different from a larger cartidge head. All I can say  is, it may be rare, but it happen to me from dry firing with snap caps. It also happen to a few others, thus the pictures that have been posted. If your gun is unmodified, Glock will fix it....

:::

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#47]
so the answer to the OPs question is no
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#48]
All I can say is, it may be rare, but it happen to me from dry firing with snap caps

Snap caps aren't dry firing, are they?  Doesn't that absorb the hit from the striker?
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Sorry guys but even if the breech face was already cracked the firing pin spring isn't anywhere near strong enough to push that steel outward. Dry firing a glock is recommended and Glock will even recommend it. All those pictures did was distort the discussion from it's entended purpose. DRY FIRE your Glock to adjust to the reset point. When you learn to detect it and fire again you cant help but become a better shot with it. Pics with no explanation I have to assume are nothing more than a distraction and dont deserve recognition let alone a response. Simply my 2 cents, DRY FIRE A GLOCK, DRY FIRE A GLOCK, DRY FIRE A GLOCK....
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
All I can say is, it may be rare, but it happen to me from dry firing with snap caps

Snap caps aren't dry firing, are they?  Doesn't that absorb the hit from the striker?

Correct.  They're there to give the Firing Pin something to hit.

I can't see how the Firing Pin would even contact the inside of the breechface if it has something to impact against, like a snap-cap, or a dummy round that we reloaders make sometimes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top