Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2012 6:30:46 PM EDT
So, Im getting interested in Glocks.
What do the numbers mean/stand for?
What are the differences in the "generations" and what magazines fit which guns?
So much to learn.
Keep the negative comments out please
Thanks
VRMN

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Beat me to it.  All fullsize mags are set up to work in all generations, plus a G17 mag will work in a G17, G19 and a G26, while a G19 mag will work in a G19 and a G26.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]

If you really want to learn, go here (and also you might consider using the "search" feature of the internet  )

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you really want to learn, go here (and also you might consider using the "search" feature of the internet  )

I come here because we have many knowledgeable members and at times Im not exactly sure what to "search"

Thank you for the link.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots to learn for sure , you won't find all your answers in the replies to your thread
First read the Glock factory web page , this wonderful arfcom section is a wealth

Gen 3 - probally the best IMHO
Gen 4 - added some bells & whistles such as different grip inserts for different hands ( one size doesn't fit all ) lots of buzz about potential problems with gen 4 have been flying around , but I would not hesitate to buy one ...if you have a problem with it send it back and I'm sure Glock will make it right .

That being said if I was at able to buy a G19 in gen 3 or gen 4 for basically the same money - I would go gen 3

Gen 1 and gen 2 older blockier , may not have rail - some other forums dedicated to Glocks have some charts and other reference material , but I would only buy a used gun with its original case ( serial will be on a label on the side ) , I will not buy a gun without original case , the little package with spent shell casing will have a date ( this is easiest way to tell age ) again it will have serial number . Serial numbers on barrel and frame should match . If the guy does not have case it is most likely somebody that doesn't care well for his stuff in general and upkeep on pistol may have been poor . Also people buy and sell guns for profit and these guys will almost always have the gun without the case ( they sell separate later for extra cash ) no holster , no extra mags ...if you ever owned a gun for more than 6 months you have bought something extra right ???     Hey I'm very picky about my pistols ( lol )
learn how to take slide off by watching YouTube vids and examine any pistols you may buy used
Look for signs of wear on barrel , extractor , slide rails - do not buy a gun that somebody has polished the barrel - usually this is done to hide signs of wear ...in reality most people do not shoot their guns much -

Best place to start is a 9mm , Glock pistols were originally designed for that cartridge - buy a 19 you will not regret it , go with a 9mm or if you want something different try 40 cal G23

Be careful it's addiciting , I own a 19 , just got a 26 to go with it ....my wife has a 19 too
After shooting mine ( my best friend and cousin now both have 19s )
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
2nd generations have no finger grooves. 3rd generation and up have finger grooves. Just about any magazine for a full-size model will seat and function correctly with the compact and sub-compact models. The one exception are the SF models. I believe the SF mags will work in their regular counterparts but not vice versa.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Gee what a helpful and informative reply. Glad that folks that are new to glocks can come here and get such useful information
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Lots to learn for sure , you won't find all your answers in the replies to your thread

First read the Glock factory web page , this wonderful arfcom section is a wealth

Gen 3 - probally the best IMHO

Gen 4 - added some bells & whistles such as different grip inserts for different hands ( one size doesn't fit all ) lots of buzz about potential problems with gen 4 have been flying around , but I would not hesitate to buy one ...if you have a problem with it send it back and I'm sure Glock will make it right .

That being said if I was at able to buy a G19 in gen 3 or gen 4 for basically the same money - I would go gen 3

Gen 1 and gen 2 older blockier , may not have rail - some other forums dedicated to Glocks have some charts and other reference material , but I would only buy a used gun with its original case ( serial will be on a label on the side ) , I will not buy a gun without original case , the little package with spent shell casing will have a date ( this is easiest way to tell age ) again it will have serial number . Serial numbers on barrel and frame should match . If the guy does not have case it is most likely somebody that doesn't care well for his stuff in general and upkeep on pistol may have been poor . Also people buy and sell guns for profit and these guys will almost always have the gun without the case ( they sell separate later for extra cash ) no holster , no extra mags ...if you ever owned a gun for more than 6 months you have bought something extra right ???     Hey I'm very picky about my pistols ( lol )

learn how to take slide off by watching YouTube vids and examine any pistols you may buy used

Look for signs of wear on barrel , extractor , slide rails - do not buy a gun that somebody has polished the barrel - usually this is done to hide signs of wear ...in reality most people do not shoot their guns much -

Best place to start is a 9mm , Glock pistols were originally designed for that cartridge - buy a 19 you will not regret it , go with a 9mm or if you want something different try 40 cal G23

Be careful it's addiciting , I own a 19 , just got a 26 to go with it ....my wife has a 19 too

After shooting mine ( my best friend and cousin now both have 19s )

Thanks Red!!

That helps.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Keep the negative comments out please

Thanks
VRMN

Quoted:

someones reading/comprehension  skills could use some work

I thought this was what the Tech forums were for
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

2nd generations have no finger grooves. 3rd generation and up have finger grooves. Just about any magazine for a full-size model will seat and function correctly with the compact and sub-compact models. The one exception are the SF models. I believe the SF mags will work in their regular counterparts but not vice versa.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Excellent!!

Good info. Simple too.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is a tech forum, not GD.  Please try to be helpful and not make snide comments.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gee what a helpful and informative reply. Glad that folks that are new to glocks can come here and get such useful information

I don't get it....  you want to learn about product XYZ, and 90% of that info is on XYZ's web site, it's common courtesy to at least look there first.  It's not like I'm asking him to do an exhausting search.  This kind of stuff takes 5 seconds to find if you go to XYZ's web site.

Less common questions about mag compatibility, those I understand.  But basic model number questions I don't.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get it....  you want to learn about product XYZ, and 90% of that info is on XYZ's web site, it's common courtesy to at least look there first.  It's not like I'm asking him to do an exhausting search.  This kind of stuff takes 5 seconds to find if you go to XYZ's web site.

Less common questions about mag compatibility, those I understand.  But basic model number questions I don't.

And does Glock have info on there about issue with Gen 4's?  Or do you think that info would be more readily available HERE in a tech forum that is SPECIFICALLY set up for the purpose of members to get good, solid info from other members?
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glocks website wont explain things to me like the people here can.

Please drop it and lets move on. If you dont have anything helpful to say, please step out.

Again, thanks

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen the chart that was posted as the first reply on glock's site (maybe I was looking in the wrong place but believe me I had looked for this exact sort of thing before, oh and to that poster thanks for the chart I've saved it off now). Lots of manufacturers don't have the greatest website. IF you know what you are looking for on them then the info is easy to find, if not then it can be kind of hard to locate the differences between their line.

If a question bothers you, just ignore it. There is no call to be snarky with somebody just because you don't like their question. This is after all a forum for enthusiasts. Personally I like talking about things I like, even if it is the basics I will be more than happy to talk about things I like with people that are willing to listen.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Like I said, less common info like mag compatibility or how Gen 3 compares with Gen 4, those kind of questions are reasonable.  I'm just asking to  at least take the time to check out the manufacturer's web site first. You can't even begin to ask useful questions until you know what models exist.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've never seen the chart that was posted as the first reply on glock's site .

Sorry, but this hard to understand.  On their home page you just click on the "Models"  tab.   How much simpler could it be?  

I'm not trying to be negative and I wholly support trying to help newbies learn things.  After all, a LOT of people helped me learn about AR's on this site.  But at least I tried to do some digging on my own.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#19]
They are awesome.  

I run all gen 3 models.

G21SF, G36, G19, G26

Over ten thousand rounds through them with no failures of any kind.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Like I said, less common info like mag compatibility or how Gen 3 compares with Gen 4, those kind of questions are reasonable.  I'm just asking to  at least take the time to check out the manufacturer's web site first. You can't even begin to ask useful questions until you know what models exist.

Please, just stop posting if you are not going to post anything except complaints.

OP - I have a G23 I bought back in 1994, so I am relatively familiar with the firearm.

2 years ago, I converted it to a 9mm.

One of the other mods I made is I heated up the backstrap with a lighter, and pressed it into a hard surface to get rid of the "hump".  It has great increased the fit for me.

Oh, yeah - most accessories are drop in,to include the trigger components, so it is easy to modify it to your needs.

What are you doing with it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

They are awesome.  

I run all gen 3 models.

G21SF, G36, G19, G26

Over ten thousand rounds through them with no failures of any kind.
Your avatar is very disturbing!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please, just stop posting if you are not going to post anything except complaints.

OP - I have a G23 I bought back in 1994, so I am relatively familiar with the firearm.

One of the other mods I made is I heated up the backstrap with a lighter, and pressed it into a hard surface to get rid of the "hump".  It has great increased the fit for me.

Oh, yeah - most accessories are drop in,to include the trigger components, so it is easy to modify it to your needs.

Thanks!!!

Want to do some 3 gun with it. Eventually.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!!!

Forgive me, as I don't know much about 3 gun.

Does it have Major/Minor power factor, or is it just shoot for time?
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!!!

Shoot for time

Granted bigger can be better at times but the 9MM seems to do fine.

You can do better with a better gun though obviously.

We had a spinner that I could have done better at had I used a little more "power" like a .45.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!!!

Shoot for time

We had a spinner that I could have done better at had I used a little more "power" like a .45.

9mm seems to be the standard for 3-gun,
just enough to knock over the steel targets. 9 is fine unless your shooting "heavy metal" in which case 45 is the minimum
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!!!

Shoot for time

Do you handload?  You may be able to use a bigger (147gr) and push it a little faster to get more action on your spinners.

If it's shoot for time, I would lean towards the 9mm since even the best will be able to shoot it d=faster than the bigger calibers.

Get a 17 if you want something that can double as a carry gun, 34 if you want a pure fun gun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
the Glock 17 was named so because it was MR Glock's 17th patent trying to produce a pistol and of course it was a huge success... Then there was the G18 G19 etc
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!!!

Shoot for time

Do you handload?  You may be able to use a bigger (147gr) and push it a little faster to get more action on your spinners.

If it's shoot for time, I would lean towards the 9mm since even the best will be able to shoot it d=faster than the bigger calibers.

Get a 17 if you want something that can double as a carry gun, 34 if you want a pure fun gun.
Getting back into handloading so my options are opened up a little bit.

As FW said, the 9 is popular and does its job on the steel that I shot at Sunday.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

the Glock 17 was named so because it was MR Glock's 17th patent trying to produce a pistol and of course it was a huge success... Then there was the G18 G19 etc
Interesting.

Thank you

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I've just entered the fray, and started with a G22.  There are aftermarket barrels that'll allow a drop-in conversion to 9mm, which, as I understand it doesn't really work in the other direction.  So a G22 is fast track to both a 22 and 17!    Mags, of course, must match the barrel/chamber.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#31]
It sounds like you're good with a 9mm. You mentioned getting into 3-gun. What other potential uses will you have for your new Glock? Will you be CCWing it?

If this will be a 3-gun/range gun/competition only gun, let me go ahead and recommend a G34. If you will be carrying this gun but also using it for some competitions occasionally, I'd recommend the G19. Or you could get both...

Me personally, I'm still on the standard Gen3 bandwagon but there are a lot of happy Gen4 owners out there now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It sounds like you're good with a 9mm. You mentioned getting into 3-gun. What other potential uses will you have for your new Glock? Will you be CCWing it?

If this will be a 3-gun/range gun/competition only gun, let me go ahead and recommend a G34. If you will be carrying this gun but also using it for some competitions occasionally, I'd recommend the G19. Or you could get both...

Me personally, I'm still on the standard Gen3 bandwagon but there are a lot of happy Gen4 owners out there now.
The "plan" for now will be 3 gun/competition.

I like the 34 but Im going to start small and work up from there.

I have my CCW gun which is a Taurus 24/7 compact. I really like it.

THANKS!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a question, I guess this is a good place to ask. I've been out of the pistol game for a while, since before the introduction of the Gen 4 models. I've been hearing the latest Glocks are having problems of one sort or another. Is that just with the Gen 4s, or is it the entire Glock line?

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#34]
One of the best places for technical info that I have found is glockfaq.com. They also answer a lot of basic questions about Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a question, I guess this is a good place to ask. I've been out of the pistol game for a while, since before the introduction of the Gen 4 models. I've been hearing the latest Glocks are having problems of one sort or another. Is that just with the Gen 4s, or is it the entire Glock line?

Just the Gen 4's.  Gen 3's are as reliable as ever.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#37]
After owning a few, I've settled with the Gen II G19.

Fits my hands the best and us perfect for ccw.

If its not to be a daily carry,  then I'd get a G17.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Are they still making frames in od green or desert tan?

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#39]
What is the difference in "Generations" in the slides on the G17?

Sorry if its a stupid question.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I THINK Gen 1 - 3 are the same.  Gen 4 is the one that is different due to the recoil guide assembly being different.

So be sure to get Gen 1 - 3.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I THINK Gen 1 - 3 are the same. Gen 4 is the one that is different due to the recoil guide assembly being different.

So be sure to get Gen 1 - 3.

You are correct on the slides! I love my Glock 30SF but my favorite is the G-19.

OP- I would advise you to go and shoot/handle a Gen. 2, 3 and 4. I used to own only 2nd Gens but I have replaced them all with Gen 3 and I own a couple Gen 4s.

I have bought a lot of Glocks over the last twenty years and I'll but them in any condition. Glock has always made them right for me at no cost. Not having the original box/mags/cleaning kit is not a big deal to me, if the price is right, I'll buy it! I have bought a few that were missing front sights.

Back in 2003, I bought a G-17 2nd Gen for $175 and it only had a mag with it. The slide was silver due to holster wear and use. The inside was well used and looked like it had not been cleaned in 20 years! On the way back home from the gun show, I took it by a friends house and put a box of ammo down range. It fired every round, I ended up taking it down to Smyrna and had them look at it. They replaced a bunch of parts (free of charge) and paid the shipping to send it back to me.

I used that pistol for my trunk (car) until last year (2010) when I made the switch to Gen. 3. The slide never rusted (it was shiny and had no outer finish on it) and a car trunk can be a wet, rough place. The Tennifer finish is baked into the slide and protects the metal even after the outer finish (I forget the name) wears off.

I agree with TheOtherManinBlack, go with a Glock 22/31 or 23/32. You can buy extra barrels and have a 3-4 caliber pistol. A couple of times (when I accidentally took the wrong cal. mags) I have used a G-17 mag in my G-31 and never had any stoppages.

I am a huge Glock fan. They make a great product.

Just my .02,

Amos1909
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 3:59:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Also, since you are going to be using this for competitions, look into the match grade slide lock.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I did a little more research today and decided to take a chance. I went to the gun shop and traded in my G30 (which I never shoot) to use as a down payment to put a FDE gen 4 G19 on layaway. I figured it would pair up well with my gen 3 G26.  We'll see how it goes.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#44]
I brought home a brand new G17 from the fun store last night.

Just got finished with the ".25 trigger job"

Seems like it smoothed it out some.

Thanks to everyone for the information!

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#45]
The recent issues with Glocks are NOT Gen specific. They are some kind of quality issue specific.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Congrats on the new G17!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top