Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 12:09:51 AM EDT
what vice pres. debate was that, I know one was quale, he got slammed but what year and who said that?
thanks
Icon
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#1]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy." was a famous statement made by Democratic vice-presidential candidate Senator Lloyd Bentsen to Republican vice-presidential candidate Senator J. Danforth Quayle during the 1988 vice-presidential debate. Jack Kennedy was a reference to John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States. Since then the words "No Jack Kennedy" have become a part of the political lexicon as a way to insult a politician or other individual who thinks too highly of himself.

The full quote is as follows:
Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy, I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, the line was supposed to include " and George Bush is no Ronald Reagan", but Bentsen thought it better to stop with slamming Quale. Great line and great delivery.

I would love to see someone use this on a Democrat sometime, like Ted Kennedy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top