Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2024 10:28:33 PM EDT
true story, you really do.  if you've got a foodsaver type vacuusucker you don't know what you're missing.  if you don't have any vacuusucker at all then you are seriously fucking up.

sealing liquids in bags to freeze instead of putting them in tupperware is awesome
getting 1000 pre-cut bags for $70 is awesome
being able to seal mason jars easily is awesome
having a seal that will reliably hold is awesome
vacuusucking and sealing mylar bags is awesome
it removing way more air than a foodsaver is awesome

and the fact that it can boil room temperature water is just neat sciency shit

supposedly you can even use it to marinate things in a matter of minutes but i haven't tried that yet

drawbacks:  

1) not compact
2) somewhere between slightly more expensive than a good foodsaver ($350ish) and $1000+

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok, you got my attention
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey OP...do you have any links to products you use or pics of products you use ???

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
VacMaster master race checking in.  

Seals meats, liquids, dry foods, ammo, etc

ETA.   VacMaster 215
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hey OP...do you have any links to products you use or pics of products you use ???

View Quote

Not OP, but this is the one I got and like OP said-it’s amazing.

https://www.costco.com/maxvac-pro-chamber-vacuum-sealer-.product.100536866.html
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Avid Armor

USV32 owner here
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The fact they are pretty heavy, and bulky and not having any space to store one kept me from looking into them when my cabelas vac sealer went tits up last summer. Some day
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I want one at the entrance to the house.

1) Porch pirate.  Make nice faces for the door camera while the air goes out.
2) Religious people or salesperson.  Should have found a better job than disturb a stranger.  
3) Angry neighbor.  You won't be angry much longer.

Eye keeeed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Another happy Avid Armor USV32 owner here
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
We have one.  Wife uses it all the time.  I suggested it because I read they were way better.  I still don't understand how they work differently than a regular ole vac sealer and why they are better?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Avid Armor

USV32 owner here
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Agreed.... Got one a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

i've got two now, this one is my favorite and by far the best bang for the buck

it's also 70lbs so take note of that

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374192481218?epid=6049102221&hash=item571f9c23c2:g:CFMAAOSwvXpi4kgj&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0Gs3EghX0xG3nO5w8M%2FmZXEYnp0%2FHq3Z7iiB%2BBkYa8hgT4AUnbgjsSALEsJEleFIchedD9iZ6ZDDX33QU2X7VMV8SRJxyf%2FAJwNwi%2B1UbrjOyL1VVQ0Mecjyztk1SyIZJShhWZyud5f0o4vIrpNEi9KXic5dQmK47nScozqkJduc0ESohmjA4mOJHYUXuiNNHtt4wHEQi9TqmXMd1xeRFyl74KIHLgoaW37CdF6Me4fLl895ixpdHiBBDL%2F5I5emQeFWiobgmZjT%2FBH8uVdi9LQ%3D%7Ctkp%3ABlBMUIq4nqujYw

i've also got the avid armor that a couple of people here have already mentioned.  i had to dick with the seal on it to get it to achieve a good vacuum but quite happy with it now.  it's 20lbs and half as tall so if you want one for a home kitchen, that's your best bet.  think they're $550 on amazon right now
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ETA.   VacMaster 215
View Quote

You gotta go bigger...........We bought 2 used commercial sealers both needed a crack welded up on the ids and a new seal....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a poor food saver guy but have used vac savers and commercial chamber vacs the size of a kitchen table. I would like the chamber vac, but the weight and cost makes it cost preventative for someone that just seals meat and freezes it to keep in the freezer a couple weeks. Now if I did more long term storage and soups (We rarely eat a soup), then I would do a chamber vac.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok, you got my attention
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, you got my attention

here's the first shitty video of it i found.  boiling point changes under vacuum.

VacMaster P215 - Vacuum sealing water
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

drawbacks:  

1) not compact

View Quote

How not compact?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks! I need one of these. I make a lot of sausage.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]
They are the cat’s ass for packing and freezing meat in volume.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok, you got my attention
View Quote
Boiling point of water is a function of air pressure. 212F is at sea level. Higher elevation/lower air pressure lowers the boiling point.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You gotta go bigger...........We bought 2 used commercial sealers both needed a crack welded up on the ids and a new seal....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_0409_jpeg-3098257.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA.   VacMaster 215

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_0409_jpeg-3098257.JPG

vevor!

those chinese fuckers make everything
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:12:42 AM EDT
[#22]
My foodsaver came with an attachment that does this.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok, you got my attention
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, you got my attention

Science, water boils at a lower temperature in a vacuum.   I use this theory daily when evacuating/dehydrating HVAC equipment.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How not compact?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

drawbacks:  

1) not compact

How not compact?

a foodsaver is a little bitty thing

to get a vacuum chamber sealer of a decent size you're looking at a 15x15x10 footprint, minimum
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My foodsaver came with an attachment that does this.
View Quote

no, it didn't
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#26]
What's the largest piece of meat you can fit in one?

I often vac seal whole pork loins and bellies for my cured meat projects. I'm assuming I'd still need the conventional FoodSaver for larger cuts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We have one.  Wife uses it all the time.  I suggested it because I read they were way better.  I still don't understand how they work differently than a regular ole vac sealer and why they are better?
View Quote

A foodsaver sucks air out of the bag and then seals it.

A chamber vac sucks air out of the chamber, seals the bag, then lets the pressure back in around it.

For starters you can seal liquid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't have space for one unfortunately.

soups are easy to seal with a food saver. Just put the bag in the freezer for a bit until the soup is semi solid and then  seal. I do it all the time.

I'm sure the units you guys are talking about do it better but this really works well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Avid Armor

USV32 owner here

Same here.

Ordered one for the wife this Christmas after seeing another thread here about them.

I got mine from Amazon for $200 on a returned warehouse deal. It had a small dent but for $130 off I'll take it.

I like it a lot already. We mainly used it to prepare some meats in marinade ahead of time. Very cool.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#30]
We have a vacmaster 215. We process about 100 chickens a year. I cut them up and vac seal them. We also use it often for breaking down food we  buy in bulk.

Does take up quite a bit of room but we have a walk in pantry.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Bookmarked
I'm intrigued
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Some more affordable chamber sealers from counter top to stand alone dual chamber machines...these are commercial grade machines and will handle commercial bags...

https://www.vevor.com/s/vacuum-sealers
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I want one at the entrance to the house.

1) Porch pirate.  Make nice faces for the door camera while the air goes out.
2) Religious people or salesperson.  Should have found a better job than disturb a stranger.  
3) Angry neighbor.  You won't be angry much longer.

Eye keeeed.
View Quote

These are all fantastic suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#34]
OP: Was it you that also had a good thread about freeze dryers? I was trying to find it and couldn’t. If not, excuse my thread drift but accept the free bump.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#35]
My vac sealer can seal mason jars.
My vac sealer will suck all of the air out of any size bag I make, and I can make any size bag I need.
I can freeze anything liquid or mushy (like meat), and then suck all of the air out of the bag.

Unless a chamber vacuum sealer can seal steaks or hamburgers without smashing them out of shape, I don't think I need one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OP: Was it you that also had a good thread about freeze dryers? I was trying to find it and couldn’t. If not, excuse my thread drift but accept the free bump.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Freeze-Drying-Freeze-Driers-Freeze-Dried-Food-and-Shenanigans/5-2689099/
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My vac sealer can seal mason jars.
My vac sealer will suck all of the air out of any size bag I make, and I can make any size bag I need.
I can freeze anything liquid or mushy (like meat), and then suck all of the air out of the bag.

Unless a chamber vacuum sealer can seal steaks or hamburgers without smashing them out of shape, I don't think I need one.
View Quote

i can seal mason jars without extra steps or pieces, so long a they fit
i can get more air out, without having to arrange food perfectly
i can vacuusuck anything liquid or mushy immediately, without extra steps
i've heard you can also use foodsaver bags and seal them externally so i could also do any size bag i wanted, so far as i know, haven't tried it
there are settings so you can vacuusuck as little or as much as your heart desires

i've got 3 regular foodsavers and they're great.  buying my first was a game changer, same as buying a chamber vac was over a foodsaver
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#38]
[youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/ev129nqGp2I[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/ev129nqGp2I
Love mine!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

i've heard you can also use foodsaver bags and seal them externally so i could also do any size bag i wanted, so far as i know, haven't tried it
there are settings so you can vacuusuck as little or as much as your heart desires

i've got 3 regular foodsavers and they're great.  buying my first was a game changer, same as buying a chamber vac was over a foodsaver
View Quote

@TexRdnec

Can you seal a quart jar?
When you vacuum seal meat, does it get smashed flat, or retain it's shape?
If you are pulling any real vacuum, the meat gets squished, Yes?
If you're not pulling enough air out the bag to flatten things, you are not pulling all of the air out of the bag.

You don't need to spend a thousand dollars to suck air out of a bag and seal it to prevent freezer burn or spoilage for several years. My vacuum sealer has more flexibility in what it can do for much less money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@TexRdnec

If you're not pulling enough air out the bag to flatten things, you are not pulling all of the air out of the bag.

You don't need to spend a thousand dollars to suck air out of a bag and seal it to prevent freezer burn or spoilage for several years. My vacuum sealer has more flexibility in what it can do for much less money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TexRdnec

keep on not knowing what you don't know, you're good at it
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#41]
This thread sucks
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I've been torn on this for some time. Almost all meat gets cryo-vac'd at some point in its lifecycle now. This is with a commercial vac sealer, and the cut is never frozen. When you see the individual portions like that for sale on the shelf, the first thing you'll notice is that all the external pressure on the meat has squeezed the juices out. The effect is not as bad with larger cuts, but still not zero. When I was able to go to a butcher who got his meat straight from the slaughterhouse in AL, you could tell it was noticeably juicier. He is retired now though, and I never get back to AL anyway.

With my Foodsaver, I cut large pieces of meat into serving size portions, put them in a Foodsaver bag without sealing them, and freeze them until they are firm. I try to catch them before they are hard frozen. Then I vacuum seal them, and I break that seal when I thaw them to cook. I think that method preserves maximum juiciness. I would probably follow the same procedure with a chamber sealer. A chamber sealer would be nice for things that I freeze with a lot of liquid in them, from pulled pork to roast stews and the like. Fruit too.

I can't justify the leap to a commercial sealer yet, but I'm interested to learn more ITT.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

@JPL

A "foodsaver" attempts to create a seal between the machine and the bag, then draws a vacuum inside the bag.  This necessitates the specific plastic type that has air path via rough surface, otherwise the bag seals shut and it can't be vacuumed out.  No matter how well they work, they are limited to only drawing a vacuum that the machine to bag seal can withstand, which is relatively little.

A vacuum chamber machine instead draws a vacuum in the chamber that fully contains the bag.  So it can draw a significantly higher vacuum, evacuate more air, also create a better seal because it's not drawing liquid towards the open end of the bag.  When the chamber is fully evacuated, the impulse sealer seals the bag, then the chamber lets atmosphere back in and you're done.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#44]
You can vacuum seal from outside the chamber also.

External Sealing in a Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my christmas present to myself 2 years ago I think.  No issues so far and as you said sealing liquids is a gamechanger.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Freeze-Drying-Freeze-Driers-Freeze-Dried-Food-and-Shenanigans/5-2689099/

I swear I used search terms it should have caught. Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#47]
What I got.  Much better than a Foodsaver!

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

a foodsaver is a little bitty thing

to get a vacuum chamber sealer of a decent size you're looking at a 15x15x10 footprint, minimum
View Quote
I need more counter space!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#49]
My wife takes a zip lock bag and places what she wants to freeze in the bag.  She inserts a straw and then zips the bag shut, all the way to the straw.  She then sucks all the air out and then completely zips the bag shut.  I told her I don’t think her process is efficient, but it keeps her in practice.  I’m pretty sure she is now gonna buy one of these machines.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I really want one as well as a dehydrator. No room for them though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top