Those damn fins.....drool
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!!
[img]http://guns.connect.fi/rs/btxgraaf.GIF[/img]
[img]http://guns.connect.fi/rs/barrsup1.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm reporting this to Diane Feinstein immediately! How dare someone own one of those ! [:D]

CRC
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I like this line from that website:

[i]The well known recoil-action Barrett M82 with model BT8 Telescopic Reflex Suppressor is almost comfortable to shoot, regarding the suppressing effect on noise and the absence of pressure shock on shooter and spotter. [/i]

I like the phrasing 'almost comfortable to shoot', kinda makes me nervous.

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Been hearing about these for a long time but it's the first time I've seen a source for the actual brand of suppressors used.

Thanks for the link.

Ever since I long ago saw a picture of the muzzle flash at night, I figured that it would be a very beneficial thing to have a flash suppressor or possibly sound suppressor to combat that flash signature.

Sound suppression?   Probably just a positive side effect to being able to seriously tame the muzzle flash.    I wonder how much the recoil is further tamed by using the suppressor as well?   I've heard that suppressors can make effective muzzle brakes as well, but as effective as the regular muzzle brake?    Trade off of sorts there maybe, or could the suppressor be as effective as the muzzle brake in taming recoil?

Damned stupid gun laws, would be a kick to find out all these things first hand without having to join the military inorder to find out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
In regards to muzzle flash on .50bmg rifles...

Awhile ago a bunch of friends and I went to one of their farms for a day of shooting.  I knew we'd be there for awhile, and I was anxious to see, what I assumed to be, a significant amount of flash from my AR-50 as it would be the first time shooting it not in broad daylight.

It was an overcast day and we were shooting a well into twilight.  My AR-15, as to be expected, was displaying its considerable muzzle flash.  It was getting dark, so time to get back onto the .50.  Nothing.  Not a thing.  I was fully expecting to see a huge fireball extending forward and to the rear around the shooter due to the muzzle brake.  Nothing.  If there was a flash to be seen, it was dim enough to see it.

Hmmm...could the muzzle brake be pulling double duty?
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how quiet it makes them
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I too am curious about the decible reduction.
any info?
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I live 3 miles from the company and due to my work in a weapons dealership/indoor range we have interacted almost daily for many years with the company.

Good products for an affordable price.

PS. No permit/licence BS for suppressors here... [:)]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]
double wow!

Now if I only had an extra $7000 for a Barrett
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]
You can get an AWC "Turbodyne" 50BMG suppressor manufactured here in the USA that supposedly reduces the 50BMG recoil quite a bit and requires no hearing protection.

Can't put it on a Barret 82A1, though, since it would create an illegal SAW - sound suppressor is the same as a flash-hider and all of that BS - unless you could find a pre-ban 82A1.

Would be OK on a bolt-action or single-shot, though.

Price is about $1,500 plus the $200 NFA transfer-tax.

[url]www.awcsystech.com/turbodyne.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#13]
We watched Mark Serbu shooting his BFG-50 with a suppressor at the Fall Knob Creek shoot. The sound was reduced to about the level of a 30-30 or .270. Compared to what they normally sound like that is quite a reduction. After the second or third shot my wife turned and aked "what's wrong with it?"
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Some MSNBC moron in Kenya referred to the .50BMG on top of a Hummer as a .50 caliber submachine gun.

I thought it was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some MSNBC moron in Kenya referred to the .50BMG on top of a Hummer as a .50 caliber submachine gun.

I thought it was pretty funny.
View Quote

... Yeah, I saw that idiot too. He also refered to a TOW (Tube Launched, Optically Tracked, [u]Wire Guided[/u]) missile as a laser guided missile in the same report.

... That crap just curls my wrinkled skin
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Ops Inc in CA also make a .50 cal suppressor (for both bolt action and the Barrett semi). They should be available to civilians next year.
[url]www.opsinc.us[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top