Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 1:09:58 PM EDT
one of these ugly rat looking things roams in and around my backyard, so I was thinking of using a 10/22. Also, do possums scream much when in pain?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
shoot it and find out

i've seen full grown hogs dropped by a single .22 lr to the eyeball, so it should do fine
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont know about a .22 but I know I chased one down with a stick once and it expired! I might have had a few to many to drink that night!

BKVic
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I know a [b]Winchester .22 power point[/b] will drop it like it has been sledge hammered.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont know about a .22 but I know I chased one down with a stick once and it expired! I might have had a few to many to drink that night!

BKVic
View Quote

Hehe... they play dead.  You probably didn't kill it.
View Quote

Im very sure he was dead, unless he played dead so well that he started to rot after a few summer days.

BKVic
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends where you hit it.  I have seen a gopher take multiple .22 shots before dying.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was ten, I shot one 9 times with a 22lr. The first one just made it hiss at me so I emptied the revolver in to him. He just crawled off to die.  I hate possums!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#9]
They're pretty easy to catch.  Just set up a cat trap and bait it with jam.  Take them to a remote site and let em go.  Less trouble than killing them unless you live out in the sticks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Just tap him on the back of the head with a large stick. Then stand on his ribs till his tail straightens out. I trapped for a living and that was how I did it. No noise and no blood.

They would bring $2. Same price for 20 years.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw a rabbit make a run for it once. pulled my 22LR. up to my shoulder, click!  by the time i check to see what the problem was, it lil bugger was gone!.  I had forgotten to take off the safty!!!  I belvie i was 12 at the time.

I also had this BB pistol type thing that i got at academy.  Me and my buddy are shooting the fence and my dad always reminds us, "only shoot the fence, DO NOT SHOOT UP IN THE AIR."
No problem I thought.  Then my buddy decides he can do whatever the hell he wants with my gun, so he aims up and to the left.  POP......right through the next house's window!

Then he blames that I did it.

To teach us a lesson my dad decides to make both of us pay off the window.  so I pay my 1/2 and this other kid's parents pay for him.  Then they come complaining to my dad that they had to pay for somthing that was entirly "MY FAULT"!  
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
save the possums.  But, if you must kill him, do the humane thing and use a 12 gauge.

-HS
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot one with a .357; blew half it's head off and the damn thing was still walking around. I wouldn't even try to kill one with a .22; use your AR.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to drop armadillos with 1-2  shots from a pellet gun. Their kinda like a possum with body armor [:D] .
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
One shot between the eyes should do it unless it's some kind of mutant possum from the nuclear plant or something. If he's just roaming around not really doing anything, killing him might not really be necessary.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I used to drop armadillos with 1-2  shots from a pellet gun. Their kinda like a possum with body armor [:D] .
View Quote

Yup, we call 'em Panzer Possums 'round here.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#17]
One well placed shot with a .22 will kill pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One well placed shot with a .22 will kill pretty much anything.
View Quote

Words of wisdom here. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, we call 'em Panzer Possums 'round here.
View Quote

We call them possum on the half shell.  You know if you run over an armadillo in a truck, they sound just like stepping on a stack of crackers.

As to the 10/22, a well placed shot with a 22 will kill anything, even you.  That being said, use a hollow point and go for a body shot.  Just shoot it like you would a deer with a 30-06.  The Opossum has a small brain that is hard to hit.  A heart/lung shot will kill it quickly and it won't scream much.  They just hiss.  

Now, my preferred method of dealing with the Opossum is to use a metal garbage can.  Grease the inside and put some bait food in the bottom.  Make sure that it is something with a strong scent.  Put it next to a picnic table or something that will allow the possum to drop in.  Then simply put the lid on, load it up in the pickup and drive out to the woods.  Set the can down, remove lid and then tip the can over facing away from you.  Opossum tend to get pissed off and do bite.  And they have some nasty rat teeth and sharp claws.  It is best to remove the opossum since they are prone to carrying various diseases such as rabies.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Two words...

Shot Placement
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Two words...

Shot Placement
View Quote

Amen...Col. Jeff Cooper said that a .22 into a tear-duct still beats a 9mm in the sternum[x]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Now, my preferred method of dealing with the Opossum is to use a metal garbage can.  Grease the inside and put some bait food in the bottom.  Make sure that it is something with a strong scent.  Put it next to a picnic table or something that will allow the possum to drop in.  Then simply put the lid on, load it up in the pickup and drive out to the woods.  Set the can down, remove lid and then tip the can over facing away from you.  Opossum tend to get pissed off and do bite.  And they have some nasty rat teeth and sharp claws.  It is best to remove the opossum since they are prone to carrying various diseases such as rabies.
View Quote

Every night this critter harrasses my parakeets in the backyard. One night I saw it sprawled out on the side of the cage trying to get at my birds going crazy inside.

Of course creating a ballistically induced aperture into the Opossum's subcutaneous matter would certainly be more fun, but i think I'll try your method and call the local animal control, PETA psychos or whatever to pick it up. Thanks!

Maybe a can of tuna inside the trash can would work as bait.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
one of these ugly rat looking things roams in and around my backyard, so I was thinking of using a 10/22. Also, do possums scream much when in pain?
View Quote

Possums are ugly as home-made hell but they don't bother a thing, they'll eat pet food and dead stuff but that's about it. I vote that you leave it alone.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Take a piece of PVC pipe about 6' long...Run a piece of 14 or 16 gauge wire thru it to make a loop out the end of it.

Insert possums head into the loop and pull tight...Take possum somewhere else and let go!

They will make a terrible hissing sound and show their teeth but are harmless unless you get to close![BD]

BigDozer66

[img]http://xzodus.com/funny_images/gunstockweblogo.jpg[/img]
[img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BKVic
View Quote

Hehe... they play dead.  You probably didn't kill it.
View Quote

Im very sure he was dead, unless he played dead so well that he started to rot after a few summer days.

BKVic
View Quote

Don't be so sure. They are diabolically clever. A few days without a bath and I smell pretty rotten too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top