Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2007 8:28:41 PM EDT
just got this new PC with windows vista home premium. pc got a AMD 6000+  AND 2GB OF RAM.AND IS SLOW AT DOWNLOADING.WHAT I NEED ANOTHER GB OF RAM?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
At downloading? That's your internet connection there. Sorry, new OS doesn't mean faster interwebs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Who made the laptop and what firewall are you using?

BTW, IMHO vista runs BEST with 3GB, but 2GB should be good enough. (don't buy it unless you really push your system)
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Still using AOL dialup?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
My laptop with Vista runs and downloads just fine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
just got this new PC with windows vista home premium. pc got a AMD 6000+  AND 2GB OF RAM.AND IS SLOW AT DOWNLOADING.WHAT I NEED ANOTHER GB OF RAM?

That's like buying a Ruger 10/22, then tricking it out with with a VQ stock, carbon fiber barrel, super duper trigger, and wondering why those 22 bullets still aren't coming out any faster.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]
As MagKnightX said...

Your operating system has almost nothing to do with the speeds of your bandwidth (upload/download speeds).  Neither does your CPU, RAM, Video Card, or most other pieces of hardware.  

Your speed is probably 95% connection (what you pay for), and 5% (or less) equipment.  Unless you've screwed up your equipment, failed to update drivers, or haven't restarted your shit for the past few years, your speed is likely just what you're paying for.

Most broadband services have different tiers of service.  Mine for instance, offers packages of 768kbit, 2mbit, 4mbit, and 6mbit down speeds.  (PATIENTLY waiting for a fiber connection)

The way they're labeled though is a little strange.  Without getting technical, your actual download speed will be (usually) 10-20% of the connection speed.  (So on my 6mbit connection, I generally get 600kbps to 1.2mbps down speed.  It hasn't changed at all since I switched OS's, and hasn't changed since I upgraded from a 4 year old to a new computer...it's all in what you pay the ISP for.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm running the same system as you pretty much (AMD 64bit 6000+ X2, 2GB RAM, Vista Home Premium). It wouldn't hurt to bump up the RAM a little but 2GB works fine for me. I can run games with what I have now, and that is the most work I ever put my PC through.

Downloading is about internet connection speed, not your computer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Microsoft realized that in order to stay competitive, they have to design their new OS looking toward the future.

The problem is, that none of todays computers can run it worth a shit.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Blah blah blah...they said the same shit about XP...man, these thread are like a blast from the past.

As for the OP, there are known driver compatibility issues with Vista and certain NIC's, particularly wireless ones.  go to www.speedtest.net and see what you're getting.

As for everyone else that complains about Vista, 90% of it can be explained by two things:

1)  You're one of "those" people that has trouble adapting to change.  I deal with them every day.

2)  Your computer is from 2001, WTF are you thinking it's going to run Vista "with the greatest of ease".  Update your hardware once every 7 years.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blah blah blah...they said the same shit about XP...man, these thread are like a blast from the past.

As for the OP, there are known driver compatibility issues with Vista and certain NIC's, particularly wireless ones.  go to www.speedtest.net and see what you're getting.

As for everyone else that complains about Vista, 90% of it can be explained by two things:

1)  You're one of "those" people that has trouble adapting to change.  I deal with them every day.

2)  Your computer is from 2001, WTF are you thinking it's going to run Vista "with the greatest of ease".  Update your hardware once every 7 years.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:50:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Vista runs like a raped ape on two machines here.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:13:25 AM EDT
[#13]
so far no problems with vista and it,s a new desktop.what we were having downloading problems with is my son,s STEAM account,it,s a site run by VALVE a game site.we had to down load all the games he bought, on the new PC ,i got broadband connection of 6mb download,and it still took a while, i now see it was VALVE.AND IT WAS NICE TO SEE THAT ALL HIS GAMES RAN FINE ON vista ONCE WE GOT ALL THE HOTFIXES.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

went to the speed test site,download speed was 6275kb/s upload was 355kb/s
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
so far no problems with vista and it,s a new desktop.what we were having downloading problems with is my son,s STEAM account,it,s a site run by VALVE a game site.we had to down load all the games he bought, on the new PC ,i got broadband connection of 6mb download,and it still took a while, i now see it was VALVE.AND IT WAS NICE TO SEE THAT ALL HIS GAMES RAN FINE ON vista ONCE WE GOT ALL THE HOTFIXES.

Steam feeds very slow and the games are fooken huge!!!

Vista still sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top