User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 6:45:46 PM EDT
Like this

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#1]
because it looks gooooood.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]
if you have to ask you wouldn't understand.....anyways we all don't have that haircut. You haven't seen the airwing side of the Corps have ya.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Main Entry: 1uni·form
Pronunciation: 'yü-n&-"form
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French uniforme, from Latin uniformis, from uni- + -formis -form
1 : consistent in conduct or opinion <uniform interpretation of laws>
2 : having always the same form, manner, or degree : not varying or variable
3 : of the same form with others : conforming to one rule or mode : CONSONANT
4 : presenting an unvaried appearance of surface, pattern, or color <uniform red brick houses>
5 : relating to or being convergence of a series whose terms are functions in such manner that the absolute value of the difference between the sum of the first n terms of the series and the sum of all terms can be made arbitrarily small for all values of the domain of the functions by choosing the nth term sufficiently far along in the series
- uni·form·ly  /'yü-n&-"form-lE, "yü-n&-'/ adverb
- uni·form·ness  /'yü-n&-"form-n&s/ noun  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
if you have to ask you wouldn't understand.....anyways we all don't have that haircut. You haven't seen the airwing side of the Corps have ya.

Yep.

Left to right: Pilot, NFO, and Ground Crew:

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That haircut in the pic is a high and tight flatop.
Not excentric but beyond regs and allowed.
0" - max of 3", tapered is reg.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
You can only cut your hair short in so many ways.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Standard Issue, of course!  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My father, an o6 Fighter pilot in the corps, kept his hair high and tight. You guys have never seen an air force pilot, huh?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]
It's all about Pride in one's self appearance and his Corps as a whole- Not all Marines wear the high-and-tight, but most of us do.  Shaved (bald) and the 'horseshoe' are popular as well.  While in garrison, Marines obsess over their uniforms, get weekly (at least) haircuts, shave and bathe daily (at least), and keep their bodies in the best shape possible (beer and partying aside).  Again, NCO's and junior Officers are the backbone of strictly enforcing our regulations and keeping everyone physically squared away.  Plus, the chicks dig it...

A better question would be to ask: "Why don't the other Services (in general) strictly enforce their uniform and appearance regulations while in garrison?"  

No offense to the squared away soldiers, sailors, airmen, and coasties out there- and shame on the few shitbag Marines out there.      
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually a high and tight is not a regulation haircut.
regs state 0-3" taper
however, it is very popular ( except with the wing )
Ive been out since 99 and still wear that same haircut. I just dont have to cut it 2X a week now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Because there is no USGI comb.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#13]

why do Marines all have the same haircut?

They only have one barber.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Discipline!

Why does having a pancake on your head indicate disipline??
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Discipline!

Okay...Balance then?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Sick bastard!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Been out going on 10 years and it still as short as I've ever kept it....
(*apologize* for the deformed brainhousing unit)

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Discipline!

Because it takes discipline to wear that haircut and look good doing it.  Most civilians would just look retarded with that cut.

A Marine with that cut looks like a Marine and anyone with any sense knows the difference.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My father, an o6 Fighter pilot in the corps, kept his hair high and tight. You guys have never seen an air force pilot, huh?

When my dad was in the AF in the 50s through the 70s, EVERYBODY had a crew cut. (So did we kids....) Or a flattop. No shaved heads, no "high and tights"- they were considered "Prussian-looking".......

Then the hair got longer in the early 70s, and guys started combing it over from the side. Looked weird.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
.........A Marine with that cut looks like a Marine and anyone with any sense knows the difference.

Good Point
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#21]
'Cause itz sexy!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Been out going on 10 years and it still as short as I've ever kept it....
(*apologize* for the deformed brainhousing unit)

Dude, did you have an extreme makeover???
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I was going to say that it’s because they don’t know the proper way to hold a comb!

Yours was better.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Because the Army can not figure out how to do it any other way.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Standard Issue, of course!  

Haircut, High, Tight, 1 of

It's been 17yrs since they first sheared off my shoulder-length SoCal surfer hair. I've had a flat-top ever since, and I've been a 'Former' Marine for 9yrs. I've tried to let it grow back out, but it drives me nuts. AND after so many years, it sticks straight out of my scalp until it gets REALLY long. Unsat.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Because there are people who don't like to look like long haired hippie dope smokers.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#27]
In reality there are plenty of Marines with regulation haircuts (long for the Corps) and the high and tight is probably the most popular haircut, even in the wing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#28]
When you report for bootcamp, they shave your head. Every time you get a haircut in bootcamp, they shave your head. That is until 3rd phase and you are close to graduation, close to becoming a Marine. At that time everyone is given a "high and tight". A high and tight haircut is a right of passage. It meant you have almost made it.
A major part of Marine bootcamp is assimialtion into the culture of the Marine Corps. Brainwashing for lack of a better term. The lessons you learn in bootcamp stay with you a long time and many Marines value the lessons and traditions learned in bootcamp. The high and tight is one of those traditions.
The high and tight haircut not only has a distinct military appearence, it's easy to take care of. But all things considered, the reason a lot a Marines wear the high and tight is most likely economics as much as anything else. Just about every platoon or company has a few amature barbers that have mastered the art of the high and tight. Some charge a nominal fee and if the guy is your buddy, you get it for free. That means that an enlisted Marine who makes a meager wage doesn't have to spend hard earned beer money at the barber shop.

As for me, I ditched the high and tight within a couple of months after I graduated from bootcamp. My rebelliousness and vanity drove me to push the limits of the Corps's grooming standards. I was an Airwinger and proud of it. I enjoyed thumbing my nose at the grunts, who were generally up tight assholes and could become downright hostile when they saw a Marine with long hair and un-bloused utility trousers. I saw my appearance as a way to give them the finger without giving them the finger.
But that was a long time ago. Now I wear a flat top because caring for my hair is a pain in the ass. I know, only a man with a full head of hair can really feel that way. I just wish my wife would learn how to cut a flat top. I've become a cheap SOB as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
When you report for bootcamp, they shave your head. Every time you get a haircut in bootcamp, they shave your head. That is until 3rd phase and you are close to graduation, close to becoming a Marine. At that time everyone is given a "high and tight". A high and tight haircut is a right of passage. It meant you have almost made it.
A major part of Marine bootcamp is assimialtion into the culture of the Marine Corps. Brainwashing for lack of a better term. The lessons you learn in bootcamp stay with you a long time and many Marines value the lessons and traditions learned in bootcamp. The high and tight is one of those traditions.
The high and tight haircut not only has a distinct military appearence, it's easy to take care of. But all things considered, the reason a lot a Marines wear the high and tight is most likely economics as much as anything else. Just about every platoon or company has a few amature barbers that have mastered the art of the high and tight. Some charge a nominal fee and if the guy is your buddy, you get it for free. That means that an enlisted Marine who makes a meager wage doesn't have to spend hard earned beer money at the barber shop.

As for me, I ditched the high and tight within a couple of months after I graduated from bootcamp. My rebelliousness and vanity drove me to push the limits of the Corps's grooming standards. I was an Airwinger and proud of it. I enjoyed thumbing my nose at the grunts, who were generally up tight assholes and could become downright hostile when they saw a Marine with long hair and un-bloused utility trousers. I saw my appearance as a way to give them the finger without giving them the finger.
But that was a long time ago. Now I wear a flat top because caring for my hair is a pain in the ass. I know, only a man with a full head of hair can really feel that way. I just wish my wife would learn how to cut a flat top. I've become a cheap SOB as well.

damn good answer. Thanks for the low-down

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:37:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
'Cause itz sexy!

+1... I love my Marine!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:03:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I wore a high and tight flattop --with less hair than the first picture posted-- for my six years on active duty. The style is called a horseshoe. It was totally low maintenance and I never needed shampoo or hair gel or any of that other shit. Just use bar soap all over, dry off when I get out of the shower and I'm out the damned door as soon as my boots are tied. My hair is really curly and the less I have to screw with it, the better.

Twas a Soldier, but the concept is the same (No horseshoe BTW!). If I had to comb or mess with my har something was wrong! It was born out of hygene, but looks good IMO, I hated hair in the first place and typically the people with long hair were fuckups (excluding SOF).  I've been out for over a year and I still don't like long hair, if my hair gets to ~3/4" on the side I am having a coniption to get to a barber. I try to hit one up every 2-3 weeks instead of every week now though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Also makes it easier for the medic to close an open head-wound if there is not a bunch of hair in the way.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Also makes it easier for the medic to close an open head-wound if there is not a bunch of hair in the way.

Which is why my boys have the same haircut.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#36]
It isn't so their heads slide into the jars easier?  

Semper Fi and God Bless our Marines.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Tradition, and sex appeal, aside it has more to do with Hygiene.  Don't need critters running around your head in  combat zone.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Short hair also seals betterwhen you use a protective mask
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#39]
also helps to prevent head lice for better personal hygiene, also makes it easier to apply your face camo, exposed hair shines if not covered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top