Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 7:23:35 PM EDT
I have heard this term refered to unionized jobs being eliminated and wondered what all it meant?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Game On.
Short answer.
It means you can work where you want without having to join a union.
To anti-union types, its a way to ensure people don't fund their money to organized crime (aka democrats)
To pro-union types it means scabs get the good pay and benefits that the union fought (and killed) for.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Boss: "You're slackin"

Me: "Sorry, I'll get right-to-work."

Hell, ya got me on that one - no clue.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Open shop state...you don't have to be a union member to work in a shop with union members...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here in California it means law prohibiting labor agreements that require all employees to be union members. You can choose to be a member of the union or not.

That is so cool! I work in a union shop but am not an official member of the union because the company still does not consider me a permant employee. Seriously thinking of seperating myself from the union ,USWA, because they are all shit for brains.
Edit:Is Pennslyvania a right to work state?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Far as I know, it means that you can't be prohibited from working because you're not a Union member.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Edit:Is Pennslyvania a right to work state?

I don't think so. The USWA soaked up a nice bite of my paycheck for a year that I worked in a union shop, the only communication I had with them during that entire time was the common "don't work so hard" warning from the steward.  Their focus was on keeping the workforce as inefficient as possible in order to sign up more dues paying members.  This was back in the early 80's, I hope it's better nowadays while we still have some of the domestic steelmaking and steelworking industry left.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]

A Right to Work law secures the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union. However, employees who work in the railway or airline industries are not protected by a Right to Work law, and employees who work on a federal enclave may not be

Right to Work States
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
In NC it means you can't be forced to join a union to get a job...even if the job is unionized.

ETA:  what hanau said above.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
It's in the Constitution.  In the same paragraph as a womens right to murder her unwanted child.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
PA is NOT a right to work state.
I was a union officer in PA
hope this helps
TEXASAK47
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Coincidental that the "Right to Work" states in the map link posted above overlaps many areas of the "Bush Country" Map, and the current electoral vote map.  

I noticed that too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top