Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/12/2002 7:02:10 PM EDT
The cv joint in my winter clunker is going out, you know the clicking around corners and the unpleasant thunk everytime you slam on the gas. I really have no desire to get this fixed as this will be the last winter i'll be driving this POS and I dont want to spend any money on it because in the spring im going to scrap it. My question is, can i let it go all winter and not die? I dont want the wheel to come flying off at 75 mph on my daily 35 minute commute. Any mechanics out there?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:05:51 PM EDT
If you let it go (well, it's gone now anyway as shown by the clicking noise) it will break and your FWD car will become a 0WD car. The R&R of a drive axle is typically pretty cheap. Worth it, in my book, instead of being stranded in the winter. -934
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:09:03 PM EDT
If you let it go.. It will fail, and you will be stranded.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:09:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:20:54 PM EDT
A long time ago I read that if the joint wasn't too wrecked you could repack it with fresh grease and a new CV boot and it would last a while. GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:21:45 PM EDT
I have seen a front tire go sideways at low speed from neglected CV joints. Think about that at 50 MPH. Bob
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:29:09 PM EDT
I had one go out on me. Wasn't as bad as you might think, but I was probably very lucky. If you think that nasty clicking & thunk is bad, just wait until you hear the joint after it drops all the ball-bearings! One awful grinding noise. In my case it went out about 70 miles from home. It was the slowest, most nerve wracking trip I've ever had in a car. I did make it back home and had it replaced the next day. It could have come apart entirely, and I would have had a major problem on my hands (expensive tow bill, not enough cash to pay someone in a different state to fix it, no choice of where it was fixed, etc.) Think of it this way... While you might wish you didn't have to spend the dollars on a car you are getting rid of, you would have to make a loan payment to buy a new or different used car. I suspect the repair might be much cheaper than one car payment. Therefore, think of the repair as being cheaper than buying a new car! Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:30:47 PM EDT
Check back here every so often so we don't worry.
Top Top