Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 11:49:51 AM EDT
well i received and email from halliburton, they are offering me a job. the choices are iraq, kuwait or AFG. at this point i have one other offer local that i will find more about on tuesday.

i even got the wifey to agree on it, but i had to promise when i get Rand R leave i fly her to irleand and meet her there for a week. not a bad requirement on her part, considering we have been married 2.5 months. now if i do go i just need to decide where i go... iraq, kuwait or AFG... if i go

which would you rather go to for a year
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Outa the three I would think Kuwait would be the safest and nicest
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
They keep sending me e-mails, they want my experiance. I never sent an app. they found me some how moneys good. But they can't tell what firearms I can carry. I want a '14 or at least a '16, and 1911 before I put my ass out there.  The fist email I got from them said that they frown upon their personell carring firearms.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Because I'm nowhere near qualified to opine on this, I'll say Kuwait.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Halliburton (KBR) employees are not allowed to carry arms.  Period.  Its actuall in Halliburton / KBR's contract.

Even their "security personnel" are unarmed (think corporate loss prevention-type security).

Sorry.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Kuwait is the place you seek.  

Max
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Were all of the positions full in the hurricane making machine department?z
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
If I was going (and I've thought about applying a time or two), I would go to Kuwait.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
If I was going, and the pay was the same for all three....easy decision....KUWAIT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I was going, and the pay was the same for all three....easy decision....KUWAIT

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Strangely, I just ran across a Halliburton job that might fit me quite nicely.  I had no idea they were in this part of the county (Kansas).

Jim
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
They keep sending me e-mails, they want my experiance. I never sent an app. they found me some how moneys good. But they can't tell what firearms I can carry. I want a '14 or at least a '16, and 1911 before I put my ass out there.  The fist email I got from them said that they frown upon their personell carring firearms.

So do most government officials, but I do it anyways.  Frowning and prohibiting are two different things.  Which meaning are they after?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]
dude I don't care HOW james bond you are, I wouldn't do SHIT in any of those places without being armed.  I'm not military but it seems like that's a good way to get your ass shot off.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd go to Afghanistan.  Interesting country, I think it's pretty, nice rugged wilderness, antique guns for sale, better climate than Kuwait, safer than Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll be clearer.

If you're hired to work on a on a US Goverment contract, unless the carrying of arms is specifically allowed for your position on that contract, you are not allowed or authorized to carry arms, no matter what.

If its a US Government contract, your employer must follow the statement of work and its restrictions.  

So it doesn't matter whether Halliburton / KBR as a firm believes everyone ought to go armed to the teeth or not.  They follow the SOW and you follow their rules.  Or, they send you home.

If Halliburton hasn't spelled this out yet I'm wondering why they are stringing you along.

Having been in Iraq and seeing the wide variety of intelligence and common sense in civilian contractor employees every company hires (including those hired for armed security or training the INA / IP) I can understand why the Government doesn't want them armed (except for the armed security folks, and some of them shouldn't be allowed a sharp steak knife, let alone an M-4).  On the other hand, it is a dangerous place.

But what danger?  As the average Halliburton / KBR employee on a US base, the biggest danger is indirect fire (mortars) and IEDs going from one site to another.  There have been no insurgent / terrorist "human wave" attacks, etc.  Walking around armed won't stop a mortar attack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top