Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 10:16:04 AM EDT
i'm a first year law student. took the first half of my Legal Writing final yesterday, and did really well on it. went up to the professor's office to look at the test this afternoon, in the hopes that i could learn from what i did wrong. i showed up to his office, he showed me the exam, and i looked at what i had missed. on one of the long-answer questions, he had marked it as 9/10. i asked the professor what i missed, because the question wasn't marked up, it just said 9/10. he looked at it, looked at me and said, "i don't know. you should just be glad that you got 9/10." and here i thought that perhaps i could learn from my mistakes so that i don't repeat them.

i pay $40k in tuition to get answers like that.

anyone else have ridiculous professors who don't give a shit about helping their students learn?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I can count on one hand the professors I had that really wanted to help students learn.  For the bulk of professors, students are a means to an end.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
well for starters, ill put money down that he did not even grade the thing. Thats why they have TA's
and as bad as it sucks, he seems to be the rule, rather than the exception.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Working with assholes and shitbags who don't care if you live or die......but usually pull for die.

Get used to it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#4]
In grad school I went to see a prof about homework he had assigned but not graded with a test coming up on the same stuff.  I made sure he would be there for office hours and went to see it I had done anything wrong on the homework so I could be ready for the test.  I knocked on his office door and he never answered.  I knocked several times and then called the office number on my cell phone.  He answered and said he was in his office.  I was pissed and told him to answer the damn door then.  He opened the door and his shoes were off, he was dishelved and had "bed head."  He had been in there asleep. He then looked around for the homework said he couldn't find it so I left without finding out anything.  Before I left I told him that the whole situation was bullshit.  Got an A in the class and never saw a graded test or paper.  What a joke.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I knew there was a reason I chose engineering over law.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can count on one hand the professors I had that really wanted to help students learn.  For the bulk of professors, students are a means to an end.

Maybe not for all of them, but many are this way.

OP: This is good. College (maybe law school should be different) isn't always so much about learning technical stuff as it is about learning how to deal with unreasonable people. THAT is a skill you'll need often in the workplace.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top