Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:16:10 PM EDT
i just have  a couple questions really.  

Where do you guys  get your supplies/equipment from?

Should  I get a 6.0  or 6.5 gl  carboy?    I  am not  going  to do secondary fermentations to start  with.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
do the secondary, its just better for the beer.

I buy from these guys brew your own brew  because they are in town.  just get an ale pail for the primary, a 6.5 gal carboy for secondary and then either keg or bottle.  ale pails are cheap and you cant make them explode with a clogged airlock like a carboy can.(safety first!)

edit: the Arizona IPA kit is outstanding, as is their brown ale kit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
If I  choose to  keg the beer, how long does it last on the shelf and after being tapped?  If I  could find say some 2.5 gallon kegs and use them, that would be great.

I am assuming that using CO2 is different than a keg I would get to have a party cause a "normal keg" I use a tap that puts outside air in the keg, but this type I would use with co2 would make the beer last longer after opening???

I dont' want to  have  to  drink five gallons of beer in a weekend, just because I decided I  want  one beer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I dont' want to  have  to  drink five gallons of beer in a weekend, just because I decided I  want  one beer.

Lightweight!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]
you use a regulator to keep the keg under constant co2 pressure.  and I've got a keg that I've been working on for about 2 months now and it tastes great.  you can also keg condition beer where it does a natural carbonation inside the keg and it will last for quite some time.  
I highly reccomend you buy "the complete joy of homebrewing" by papazian, great book with tons of good info in it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#7]
dont worry, have a homebrew
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
you use a regulator to keep the keg under constant co2 pressure.  and I've got a keg that I've been working on for about 2 months now and it tastes great.  you can also keg condition beer where it does a natural carbonation inside the keg and it will last for quite some time.  
I highly reccomend you buy "the complete joy of homebrewing" by papazian, great book with tons of good info in it.

www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I read this one online last night.  It gave me some good info, but  I  will  look  into  getting a hard copy of something, so thanks.

I think I am going to order some stuff today and give it a whirl next week.  Do you guys have a good  first brew  reccomendation?  I like usually like any medium color  beer,  but  I  am open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#9]
a brown ale, perhaps a honey brown would be a good one.  if you're big on hops go with an IPA, but be sure that you like that kind of beer as the hop flavor profile tends to be a bit, ah, umm agressive with some of them.  or if you like stouts, those are a great one as well and you dont need a nitrogen setup like guinness does(unless you want to get really fancy)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#12]
The mentioned intrnet retialers are very good.
I started two batches last night, One a English Stout, and the other a dark Ale. Give it a wirl just one thing to remember that with home brewing just like your AR, clean, then clean it again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top