Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 3:59:38 PM EDT
So my fiance and I were having a horrible time with our old landlord, moved out and bought our first home.  

I finally get a check from the landlord for our security deposit refund.  She charged us $122.05 for new locks and $100 for cleaning.  

Questions:

1)  Can this crazy woman legally charge us to change the locks? (I've rented alot of places in my lifetime, and have never been held responsible for lock changing fees)

2)  She did not provide me with a receipt for "cleaning costs".  ( I know she screwed the prior tenants on their refund too, and I will not be screwed by this asshole).

Thanks in Advance!!

--VT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So my fiance and I were having a horrible time with our old landlord, moved out and bought our first home.  

I finally get a check from the landlord for our security deposit refund.  She charged us $122.05 for new locks and $100 for cleaning.  

Questions:

1)  Can this crazy woman legally charge us to change the locks? (I've rented alot of places in my lifetime, and have never been held responsible for lock changing fees)

2)  She did not provide me with a receipt for "cleaning costs".  ( I know she screwed the prior tenants on their refund too, and I will not be screwed by this ).

Thanks in Advance!!

--VT

You could take her to small claims court. That's about it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You have to ask yourself,is it worth all the trouble over $200.00?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
What does your lease say about the refund?  The big question is are you just looking to get your money back or are you looking to stand up for yourself and bother her even if you don't get your money back?  If it's the second one make sure you do your research and drag her into court to complain about her as much as you can.  That is one thing those prick type landlords hate worse is when the lowly tenant takes up their precious time.  Make sure you do everything through a lawyer or a law student acting like a lawyer so they have to spend more time and money to respond.  If you just want your money back, you can try small claims court but I'm guess she knows the system and knows how to screw over people and not make it worth the time to fight it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#4]
what would it cost her to replace a dozen windows?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You have to ask yourself,is it worth all the trouble over $200.00?

Basically, I want her to know she will not get away with screwing people over...so yes it would be worth it to me.

--VT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what would it cost her to replace a dozen windows?

+1

Or replace locks that repeatedly get superglued?????????????

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure this kind of thing varies from state to state (and lease agreements), but in MA....

The previous tenant is not responsible for having the locks changed.

Cleaning charges (if legitimate), would require a receipt.

And here's the good part... if a security deposit is put down, the landlord must place the funds in an interest bearing escrow account and provide the tenant with a yearly statement.

At the termination of the lease, the landlord must refund the security deposit (minus any damages or repairs), with interest.

If I were you, I'd investigate further into TN rental law. If the escrow account clause applies, and if your former landlord persists in being an ass, I'd demand bank statements and any accrued interest as well as a receipt for the cleaning bill.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
If you had a written lease or rental agreement then review that.  If it doesn't specifically state how these items will be handled then she's screwed up and you should take her to small claims.

However, if you had only a verbal agreement then you're screwed.

In WA the interest from the trust account does not go to the tenant.  Look up your local tenant's union or association and get details from them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, I found out that under CO law the landlord must have the sec. dep. refunded within 30 days of termination of lease, or the entire deposit must be refunded.  I also just looked at the letter she sent with the refund, PO dated 4/4/06, but the damn lady wrote 3/31/06 on her check (trying to be slick).  Luckily the receipt from the lock company says 4/4/06.   I think she's gonna have a day in small claims court in her immediate future .

--VT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top