Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 3:32:43 PM EDT
ok, that's an exaggeration, but I just picked up a ratcheting screwdriver. dang. Can't believe I went without one of these for so long.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
behold:

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Baaahhh I bought one for work and hated the thing.
Takes to long to change bits it is just easier to grab another screwdriver out of your tool pouch on your belt.

Then I kept losing bits and after replacing the philips bit four times I threw the damn thing in the pond out behind the work site and went back to normal screwdrivers
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, there are many tools here on ARFCOM - the Greatest TOOL - I dunno - post a poll for who is the biggest tool...........heh.

Okay - on a SERIOUS note......I would say the cordless drill........great for fixing stuff, cleaning shotguns, party favors, and now enemas.......

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I like that idea!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I fear change.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I dunno.  Ratcheting stuff is always a plus, but how about any piece of heavy equippment?  My buddy and I were arguing about one of the shop cranes v. the good forklift....

Heavy equippment kicks ass.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I dunno.  Ratcheting stuff is always a plus, but how about any piece of heavy equippment?  My buddy and I were arguing about one of the shop cranes v. the good forklift....

Heavy equippment kicks ass.

Raymond makes the best narrow aisle trucks. Closely followed by Cat. Yale reaches are fucking bass ackwards--positive actuation (on a reach truck--lifting) should always be towards the operator. Yale? Yale does everything in the reverse. Not to mention the single stick control only allows a single function at a time (no reach raise tilt all at the same time) and sometimes won't de-select the operation. Nothing like thinking you were in retract while you were still in lift.

Diesel lifts, Cat all the way. Although Ingersoll Rand makes good lifts as well. Only crane I've ever gotten to use is a Grove (26) shop crane. Lots of fun! I love running heavy equpment. Especially in the presence of large quantities of propellant! Do it right, do it fast, and if you fuck it up, others will learn from your mistakes!

GT
Warehouseman
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Duct tape and wd40 are the 2 must haves.

If its moving and shouldnt be, duct tape

If its not moving and it is, wd40
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]

CW
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/tuskegee/images/clinton.jpg

CW

I don't think the word "great" applies.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

Sure! But only if the word "great" is followed by "ass"
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Gravity-Tester,
I drove a Ramond RR for years as one of my main pieces of
equipment .
I must disagree ,it is a distant second place.

The Crown narrow aisle RR is far better.

The most common equipment damage on the Raymond
was when operators turned at high speed, they would catch
the hinges that stick out of the access door at it's widest point !

On a Crown ,the access door is inside the vehicle.
The vinyl interior slides out in 2 pieces .

The exterior widest point on the corner edge is completely
rounded.
They are also faster with a heavy load forks trailing.
The internal floor heater is also a sweet extra,
for those who work at temperatures exceeding -30 degrees below
zero.
PS-Crowns look wider and longer ,but when measured they are
1 inch shorter and 1/2 inch thinner.
The body height makes it appear larger.

Red-Beard,
The ratcheting screwdriver is indeed awesome.

Wait till you get a power screwdriver with the
pressure let off ,so you don't overtighten !

Tears of joy !
Jobs that took hours will take minutes ,or even seconds !
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Your going to have to go a long way before you find something that compairs to the greatest invention/tool EVER.

THE THERMOS.

In the summer I load that thing up with Lemonaid and ice.  I head off to work on a hot day and 4 hours later I open it up and drink down some cold refreshing liquid.

In the winter however, I throw in some hot soup or chilli before I go to work.  Come lunch time, when I'm feeling a bit cold, I help myself to some still hot and warmin' me up treats.

And that's the thing that simply ammazes me about a thermos.  
How does it know?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gravity-Tester,
I drove a Ramond RR for years as one of my main pieces of
equipment .
I must disagree ,it is a distant second place.

The Crown narrow aisle RR is far better.

The most common equipment damage on the Raymond
was when operators turned at high speed, they would catch
the hinges that stick out of the access door at it's widest point !

On a Crown ,the access door is inside the vehicle.
The vinyl interior slides out in 2 pieces .

The exterior widest point on the corner edge is completely
rounded.
They are also faster with a heavy load forks trailing.
The internal floor heater is also a sweet extra,
for those who work at temperatures exceeding -30 degrees below
zero.

Bah! Contact with the racking is the sign of an overconfident and under experienced operator! The best reach truck I ever used was a Cat. The throttle/carriage control lever was adjustable six ways from Sunday, It would perform reach/lift/tilt/shift all at the same time, and had gaurds on the outriggers so those nasty wheel killing bits of wood were tossed aside. You could pick about 50 plus skids an hour with that bit of mechanical joy. But the operators position was side facing. The Raymonds were awesome with the forward facing design, and once you had your load retracted, they were almost impossible to spin the drive wheel.

GT
30 below? Dude, I live in AZ. If it hits 30 below, I don't leave my house, and I start loading mags, because Hell has frozen over!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Man, everyone knows the best and most significant invention in human history is the KNIFE.

here's some nice knives:
Busse Combat
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#18]
phillips head
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Gravity_tester,

-30 F is the temperature of the freezer I work in.
That's the static temp.
Wind speeds and turbine cool downs excluded.

In this environment ,the Crown is superior.
We have had the other equipment ,and it did not do as well
as the Crowns.

My production is 52 moves per hour.

I can't say who my employer is,or where.

I will say I work in the DC of the year 5 years running ,
in the hardest to work for (evilist) employer in the US.

Our production standards are the highest in any center of our
type in the US.
That's why the other equipment was damaged so often.

They would rather have less employees working at unsafe
speeds damaging equipment and themselves,than
let them work at sane speeds.

In this area ,I simply have no choice.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#20]
My EBR is the greatest tool I own.

Followed closely by the pocket knife I use on a daily basis at work and around the house.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#21]
the wheel
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Do I have to say it?

Vise-Grips.  

I can't stand the ratcheting screwdrivers, either.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Especially in the presence of large quantities of propellant! Do it right, do it fast, and if you fuck it up, others will learn from your mistakes!

My operating environment is a bit different. Don't have to deal with the cold, but some of the stuff I warehouse is not forgiving should you screw up even a little. NaN3 and Perchlorate is not the kind of stuff you want to go stabbing with yer forks just to see what will happen Not twice anyway...

GT
Summertime temps in the low to mid 140's, rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widows and energetics by the ton....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Firearms! mans greatest EQUALIZER!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a couple from Snap-on but they are not as fast as the DeWalt.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#26]
The best tool by far is a saws-all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I would have to say the hammer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Much as I like it, the demo saws trump the sawzall
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I would have to say the hammer.

Damm i thought you of all people would have said TANNERITE!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well, there are many tools here on ARFCOM - the Greatest TOOL - I dunno - post a poll for who is the biggest tool...........heh.

Okay - on a SERIOUS note......I would say the cordless drill........great for fixing stuff, cleaning shotguns, party favors, and now enemas.......

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/m4556mm/100_0010.jpg

you gotta be shittin' me

a cordless screwdriver shotgun cleaner?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#31]
yes.  Look at the pic he posted.  Large dia. cleaning rod w/ shotgun bore mop...or was it a brush?

Seriously, if you need to clean rust out of a chamber, it's great to be able to take a few patches over a brush and twist it rapidly and effortlessly.  At least...it kicks ass doing it w/ a drill v. doing it by hand.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#32]
The P-38 opener!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

More like "biggest".
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#34]
THE REMOTE CONTROL!!!

you guys clean your shotguns?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#35]
...but ratchets make that cool sound!  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
...but ratchets make that cool sound!  

So do shaped charges.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/m4556mm/100_0010.jpg

DOH!!!!!  Why didn't I think of that!  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted: Okay - on a SERIOUS note......I would say the cordless drill........great for fixing stuff, cleaning shotguns, party favors, and now enemas....... i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/m4556mm/100_0010.jpg
Hey, that's the Club Gitmo Tickler©!  How'd you get a picture of that, it's supposed to be Top Secret!  Security to sector 9, security to sector 9!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#40]
PIE!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I say "the rock" is an awesome device. You can hit things with it, you can hit things on it. It was the prototype for the hammer and the axe. It was the first projectile weapon and the inspiration for the wheel and ball bearing and cannonball. It also can sharpen knives, grill a steak, keep your furnace burning, or spread legs, depending on what kid of rock it is.

The rock was the first murder weapon and ,simultaneously, was one of the most powerful WMD's ever used or thought of. It killed 1/6th of the world's human population the first time it was used in a war.

It also breaks scissors...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a few of the Snap On Ratcheting screwdrivers and they are a "must have" tool
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The P-38 opener!

That's what i was going to post.

I remember the S1, a Capt, commenting that 'one of these days the army is going to come up with the P-38A1, and it'll have 48 moving parts and a battery pack and wo9n't open cans worth a shit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#44]
The Prophylactic

Now you can truly have you cake and eat it too!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I say "the rock" is an awesome device. You can hit things with it, you can hit things on it. It was the prototype for the hammer and the axe. It was the first projectile weapon and the inspiration for the wheel and ball bearing and cannonball. It also can sharpen knives, grill a steak, keep your furnace burning, or spread legs, depending on what kid of rock it is.

The rock was the first murder weapon and ,simultaneously, was one of the most powerful WMD's ever used or thought of. It killed 1/6th of the world's human population the first time it was used in a war.

It also breaks scissors...

great stuff
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

+1

Followed closely by the blue wrench.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:43:10 AM EDT
[#47]
In my opinion the best tool ever invented is the electric industrial stapler. Just finished siding my house and putting up the Tyvek paper was great. Even took a couple of shots at my brother
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted: Okay - on a SERIOUS note......I would say the cordless drill........great for fixing stuff, cleaning shotguns, party favors, and now enemas....... i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/m4556mm/100_0010.jpg
Hey, that's the Club Gitmo Tickler©!  How'd you get a picture of that, it's supposed to be Top Secret!  Security to sector 9, security to sector 9!

Ironically, I was deployed to Guantanomo Bay as part of JTF in 2003 for four months - nothing quite says "I love you" to a Hadji then a long brass cleaning rod with 12 gauge bore brush on "HIGH" speed..............................."WHO's YOUR INFIDEL!! WHO'S YOUR INFIDEL!!"

On the drill setup - Brownells sells a special cleaning rod with a drill chuck end designed for use with cordless drills - I wouldn't try this with rifles heh.......but it works great on smoothbore shotguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top