User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 4:35:06 PM EDT
[img]http://home.wi.rr.com/antigov/supper.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
So, who burned your steak?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine's similar.  NY strip marinated in Italian dressing for about 4 hours, then doused with "Montreal" steak seasoning.  Seared over charcoal for about 12 minutes.

The broccoli was in the steamer while I was eating the steak.

[img]junior.apk.net/~scotts/steak.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine was new york strip soaked in red wine/olive oil mix over night, then covered with cracked pepper corns, garlic, and salt then grilled. Eaten with mushrooms and onions sauteed in a little butter and some wine.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Your 'shrooms looked good.  Maybe next time. [:P]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys are really bored......or
I'm jealous because I had a hot dog for dinner!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Got a neighbor from Kentucky who has a recipe for steak sauce made from pickled black walnuts.  Only thing I'll put on good beef.  The sauce is GREAT.  Has Kentucky Bourbon and some other goodies in it.  When you can find them pickled black walnuts are about $10 for a pint jar.  So we pick and pickle our own.  Got a batch in brine right now.  Have to make enough to keep both of us for a year at a time.  YUMMM!!...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#7]
What do pickled black walnuts taste like? Sounds interesting. I don't really like any sauces on my steak. Mushrooms and onions are the condiments of choice for me.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mine was new york strip soaked in red wine/olive oil mix over night, then covered with cracked pepper corns, garlic, and salt then grilled. Eaten with mushrooms and onions sauteed in a little butter and some wine.

View Quote

VERY low heat, yes?  I'm impressed with how uniform the coloring is (unless the digital camera did that) but think you cooked it a tad too long--I prefer a little closer to rare myself [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

VERY low heat, yes?  I'm impressed with how uniform the coloring is (unless the digital camera did that) but think you cooked it a tad too long--I prefer a little closer to rare myself [:D]
View Quote

Yep real low heat, i like them with about 1/8" of almost charred well done on the outside with dark pink, but grainy not raw, insides.

When I cook in a frying pan I use a cast iron skillet with some oil in it. Heat it up until the oil is smoking then put a pat of butter in the oil. Let the water boil out of the butter, then plop the steak in it and char on that side for a minute and a half or so. Do the same thing to the other side, then take the steak and put it on a rack in the over ant 375 or so for about 8 minutes. This will give you a similar finish to grilling it slow. mmmm, i wish I had another one.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have never eaten a steak cooked anywhere other than a BBQ.....Hmmmmmm maybe next Feb I will try your method.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What do pickled black walnuts taste like? Sounds interesting. I don't really like any sauces on my steak. Mushrooms and onions are the condiments of choice for me.

View Quote

Black walnuts have an unusual fragrance that carries over into their taste.  The steak sauce is like a chutney.  Little more flavor and sweetness from the Bourbon.  The only source of commercial pickeled black walnuts I know is an English company called "Opies" out of London.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good steak by putting stuff on it?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mine's similar.  NY strip marinated in Italian dressing for about 4 hours, then doused with "Montreal" steak seasoning.  Seared over charcoal for about 12 minutes.

The broccoli was in the steamer while I was eating the steak.

[img]junior.apk.net/~scotts/steak.JPG[/img]
View Quote

Hey! Ya gonna eat yer fat? [:D]
AB
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Where is the 'hardware?'
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good steak by putting stuff on it?
View Quote

That's really my attitude too.  If the beef's good then medium rare is all it takes.

There are some times a different taste is called for tho'.  And if i don't trust the cut of meat I'll do something like a marinade or a sauce.

Like I said our steak sauce is all I'll put on beef...didn't say it went on all my beef.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where is the 'hardware?'
View Quote

Oh forgot, hows this? [img]http://home.wi.rr.com/antigov/hardware.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I love that monochromatic look of the plate of someone who's gonna die of heart disease.  Maybe the veggies were in a salad bowl?
Maybe not.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey... at least he cut that big glob of fat off. That ought to buy back about 10 minutes at the end.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love that monochromatic look of the plate of someone who's gonna die of heart disease.  Maybe the veggies were in a salad bowl?
Maybe not.
View Quote

It's not the steak that will get you, it's sugar and no excercize.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#20]
yummm...i skiped dinner  hummmi see frozen pizza
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[img]http://home.wi.rr.com/antigov/supper.jpg[/img]
View Quote

look at the left of the plate. you can see a camel reflection!  below the fork
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:look at the left of the plate. you can see a camel reflection!  below the fork
View Quote

It's a conspiracy. Government sponserd middle eastern terrorists are attempting to infiltrate my computer room.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#25]
i just started my pizza....so what just cuz its 20 till midnight doesnt mean its a midnight snack!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top