Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 9:38:42 AM EDT
On the female sniper post, I pointed out that people that are non-military and some of different services, for that matter)types get confused over things easily.

To prevent that in my posts,especially with non military types, I often use 'Vanilla' terminology.

For example, I really was in an arty BATTERY, but few non Army/USMC types know that it's the same size unit as a company. I was also a Spec/5, a rank that doesn't exist anymore.

Often times, I'll say I got out as a Sgt(same pay grade) or refer to my former CO as being a 'company' commander.(as opposed to being the Battery commander)

Sgt they understand, Sp/5 they don't have a clue.

on a serious light, There is no real attempt to be a Rambo wannabe, I'm just trying to give the civvie type something he can understand.

After all, the military has more acronyms, slang than almost anything I can think of.

For that matter, the differences between the services can be pretty cloudy. Listen to a Marine and an Airdale, I'm sure they play hell understanding each other sometimes.

Does anyone out there knowingly simplify things for the benefit of others, or is it just me?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I always try to explain things at a basic level for folks who don't have a background in what we military types take for granted.

A lack of communication is a basic problem in interservice operations too.  We just don't communicate effectively.  For example,

If you tell a guy in the Army to secure a building he'll post a guard at the door.

Tell a sailor to secure a building and he'll turn off the lights and lock the door when he leaves.

Tell Marines to secure a building and they'll take it with a frontal assault with airstrikes as necessary.

Tell somebody in the Air Force to secure a building and he'll take out a two year lease with an option to buy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Instead of rank or rating, I use pay scale, E-4, W-2, etc and an abbreviated job description. Payscales are universal across all services and are easier to explain to the uninitiated.

The tricky part for me is explaining things like "How do you know when to salute?" and "Where did you go to the bathroom?" (I spent way too much time in the field)
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I understand the simplification for civilians (and jarheads) so that they can understand things.  As for cross branch ranks, the only ones that don't make any sense whatsoever are the squiddy enlisted.  Of course, you can have fun with the officer ranks.   I had a friend that was a capt in the army and his son was a squid.  He would call his son and tell them it was Capt. Cable (his name) and they would go ape shit thinking he was a navy capt.  Unit designations do tend to be a pain for the un initiated.  So, any way, it is better to say something that they can understand than to be 100% on your terminology.  We will understand why you are doing it.  As to the SP5, that entire series of designators is BS any way.  I was in when they did away with the SP5.  So, SGT.   you shall get all the respect due a sgt from me because you are, IMHO the same as I was as an SGT.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
i, too, dumb it down. most people i talk to about the military have no clue what the military is like. so when explaining something, i give it to them as if they were 5 years old.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I hear ya, man. Whenever I mention my old BC, or FDO, FDC, green bag or white bag powder, aiming circle, etc...

nobody knows wtf I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:55:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Zardoz

That is easy, BC either Battery CO or Battery Center.

FDO, Fire Direction Officer

FDC, Fire Direction Center or Fresh Donuts and Coffee.

Green Bag, Charges 1-5 M3A1

White Bag, Charges 3-7 M4A2

Aiming Circle, the M2A2 Fire Control Survey Set.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top