[#1]
as soon as there is a high profile crime committed with it
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought you meant the state of Nevada
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
they have tried semi autos, bodyarmor for civillians and numerous other things " WE " shouldn't have. I know the .gov has restricted certain levels of NVG to be restricted to leo/gov use only. when do we think they will be banned altogether?

It will happen as soon as somebody uses it to make a successful night-time assault in this country
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
The day before I make up my mind what I want and then the prices will 10x over night. I will let everyone know a week ahead of time before I decide.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#5]
There is no political capitol to be gained so it's off the radar.

I'm not positive but I dont think any of it is restricted from civillians but it is restricted from export.

ETA: typo. added 'no' to first sentence.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There is political capitol to be gained so it's off the radar.

I'm not positive but I dont think any of it is restricted from civillians but it is restricted from export.

The newest gear ("4th gen") is restricted. A few untis have made it onto the commercial scene, but good luck getting one at this point. I believe its the 3rd Gen thin filmed gated units that are not available.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is political capitol to be gained so it's off the radar.

The newest gear ("4th gen") is restricted. A few untis have made it onto the commercial scene, but good luck getting one at this point. I believe its the 3rd Gen thin filmed gated units that are not available.

I've tried the 3rd gen units and 1st gen as well. The 3rd gen stuff was amazing and my friend said it wasnt even their best stuff, that was all over in sandbox.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought you meant the state of Nevada

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]
It will never go away.  They will have to ban all night vision forever.  Five or Ten years from now asian tech companies will be cranking it out too sell at wall mart. You will be seeing shit like toys that have level V intensity built into batman masks for kids.  Night vision and thermal technology are only getting smaller and easier to pruduce as the years wear on.  Look at all the asian and european companies throwing out level I and level II stuff now.  The market for night vision is getting bigger and bigger as the years go on.  Look at all the recent markets that have opened up for night vision.  Also guess what thermal vision is right on the heels of night vision.  If nothing else buy more guns they will go long before night vision.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Any "restriction" on late generation NVD sales to the civilian market is simply a contract agreement between the supplier and the US DoD.  Just like FN's not selling AR-15s on the civilian market.  There is no "law" governing it and in time, these devices too will appear on the market once they are superceded by something better or the war ends and the DoD is not buying enough for the makers to financially justify honoring their side of the deal.

Even if there were no agreements in writing, the stuff is just in such short supply right now, you would not be able to get it.

There will probably never be even a attempted NVD ban.  With the collapse of the gun control movement the concept of banning a machine for being 'evil' has also taken a beating.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It will never go away.  They will have to ban all night vision forever.  Five or Ten years from now asian tech companies will be cranking it out too sell at wall mart. You will be seeing shit like toys that have level V intensity built into batman masks for kids.  Night vision and thermal technology are only getting smaller and easier to pruduce as the years wear on.  Look at all the asian and european companies throwing out level I and level II stuff now.  The market for night vision is getting bigger and bigger as the years go on.  Look at all the recent markets that have opened up for night vision.  Also guess what thermal vision is right on the heels of night vision.  If nothing else buy more guns they will go long before night vision.  

I think that digital nv will make big gains in the receational market and into the milt applications because of the cost factors and ease of making.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that digital nv will make big gains in the receational market and into the milt applications because of the cost factors and ease of making.

Look at all the potential future markets for night vision devices.  Outdoor recreation. Scientific applications. buisness applications, the list just goes on.  There are hundreds of markets that can benifit from the ability to operate in total darkness.  The only factor is cost.  Cost is only a factor until competition enters the market.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top