almost as bad as BRdisease......

SRM
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quite happy with mine..  

+1 on being addictive
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Craftsmen.  Cheap, lasts a long time, and if anything happens I take it to one of the billion Sears to exchange for a new one.

Having mission critical work might make you want something more expensive, but for most other things Craftsmen works out nicely.  

Husky is Home Depot's brand that has a lifetime warranty and seems to get good reviews around the jobsite.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a Snap-On account for about 16 years now........I have a bit of a collection....

eta......kiss your spare bucks goodbye.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In the tradition of ARFCOM, I like both Craftmen and Snap-On.  IF I were a professional mechanic, instead of the weekend fend-bender, I would go with Snap-On, but for the occasional use that I have for tools on the weeks, Craftmen is more than suffice.  25 years ago, I bought a 3/8" drive Snap-On ratchets, they now wholesale more than what I bought retail.  For a standard 3/8" I paid $25, for the flex-head version $35.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Tools,,There are many But this is Mine,,for what it's worth I get along just Fine,,,How ever Ingersoll-Rand is a must
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I love MAC and Snappy - got about $7K worth in the garage.  Once you've used the best, ya can't settle for Crapsman.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I love MAC and Snappy - got about $7K worth in the garage.  Once you've used the best, ya can't settle for Crapsman.

Expensive tools are nice, but if you don't know how to use them that's all they'll ever be... expensive tools.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Craftman is tarus(same lifetime waranty)snap on  is slightly better finnish,maybe better steel(same waranty)!  Both  no questions asked replacements!

YMMV   Bob
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expensive tools are nice, but if you don't know how to use them that's all they'll ever be... expensive tools.

I know how to use mine

Last estimate has my tool total around $35,000
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have talked to many guys who have said they would have rather picked up some more SK or craftsman, as the snap-on is over priced in their opinion. I have also heard that snap-ons customer service has been going down hill as of late.

I will never by snap-on wrenches, as they are too thin and really cut into my hands.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
god damn i love usa quality. i opened a account with the snap on truck today

FWIW , I've been turning wrenches for almost 30 years .

Let's just say that I'm glad I'm at the end of tool buying day's
because Snap-On's hand tool quality isn't what it used to be ,
but it isn't reflected in their pricing .

Not that Mac , Matco , Cornwell , SK , etc .. are that much cheaper
but they all carry the same warranty as Snappy and hold up
just as well . If not better
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Snap on has great tools, but overpriced.  A lot of the stuff they sell anymore is made by someone else.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice tools, but so damn expensive that my genitals retract into my body cavity when I see the price list.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic

I have been paying the Snap On truck for 25 years, Do you remember when Snap On had their
Own credit card ? the last time I look over 25 years of reciepts came over $74k, and I still
Owe around $4,500 right now, if your married you know how much wives hate that damn tool
truck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic

I have been paying the Snap On truck for 25 years, Do you remember when Snap On had their
Own credit card ? the last time I look over 25 years of reciepts came over $74k, and I still
Owe around $4,500 right now, if your married you know how much wives hate that damn tool
truck.

Do yourself a favor - make sure your kids know what they are worth so they don't get sold at an auction for 900 bucks after you die.  I have seen shit like that happen.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
My son knows what they are worth, without them he won't be able to build his hotrod.
This is what my garage looks like right now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
It's definately worth it if you make a living with them but for a home hobbyist it's overkill.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By twonami
It's definately worth it if you make a living with them but for a home hobbyist it's overkill.

I do it for a living at my home, the hotrod hobby turn into a full time job for me.
This is one of my past projects, I sold it for $55k, not too bad after the $18k total invested
In the project.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I was a mechanic for ten years, owned my own shop, snap on is good stuff but i prefer matco over it, same quality, tiny bit cheaper and the matco guy actually showed up every week even when my employees and i were'nt buying tools. Although i must say my snap on 3/8 air rachet was the best 400 or so bucks i ever spent, its a beast. McM
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#21]
You guys should be thankful that Snap-On didn't go out of business.  They were under tremendous financial distress a few years back.  I think the reason why they are so expensive for the hard-chromed tools is the expensive hand polishing, if you buy the black oxide finished ones they are a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I love Snap On tools.

I get all mine from a mexican guy named Dom, who delivers them in a '72 Impala. They're in great shape too. Some of them have a slight scratch in the serial number, but otherwise are just fine.

Can't beat the cheap price, either. Heck, sometimes I trade a throw down gun for a whole mess of them! How's that for a deal??

Thumbs up for American quality!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm  an aircraft mechanic and I've met plenty of guys with plenty diffrent tools. I personally stick to craftman. Snap On, Mac and great tools but a wrench is a wrench for me. Some guys consider it to be a status symbol. The one thing that I catches my eye about the more expensive brands is the variety of Specialty tools. If you can think of a special too for a job, I bet Snap on or Mac will have them before even looking at a craftmas catolog. on another note. You need to ask what the extra bucks are worth to you. If you have the nice fancy trucks coming to your job then its kinda nice because it saves you a trip to the store and having to deal with sales people. Saves gas too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was a mechanic for ten years, owned my own shop, snap on is good stuff but i prefer matco over it, same quality, tiny bit cheaper and the matco guy actually showed up every week even when my employees and i were'nt buying tools. Although i must say my snap on 3/8 air rachet was the best 400 or so bucks i ever spent, its a beast. McM

I blieve that most all the snap-on air tools are made by IR. It never ceases to amaze me how the tool truck dissapears after guys have spent thousands of dollars. You would think the guy would want to follow up just to hit you up for that $40 dollar wrench you missplaced.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#25]
If I was required to use tools on a daily basis, Snap-on.

Guess I'll live with the Craftsman for now, they get the job done.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I blieve that most all the snap-on air tools are made by IR....

IR=Ingrosoll-Rand for some of you non-tool oriented people.

But give Snap-On a break.  Snap-On does have a patent on the design of the opening of their wrenches.  This trademarked as Flank-drive.  According to the company speil, the edges of the wrench that contact the fastener are further from the edge of the fastener thus reduces the possibility of rounding off the edges of a fastener.  I guess this make their wrenches and sockets are bit mroe expensive to make.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I haven't used Snap-on Tools since Billie Jean King became a spokes person for them in the 70's.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But give Snap-On a break.  Snap-On does have a patent on the design of the opening of their wrenches.  This trademarked as Flank-drive.  According to the company speil, the edges of the wrench that contact the fastener are further from the edge of the fastener thus reduces the possibility of rounding off the edges of a fastener.  I guess this make their wrenches and sockets are bit mroe expensive to make.

SK has a patent for essentially the same thing. I am sure that others do too. I used to think that snap-on was the cats pajamas too, until I realized that there was other stuff out there.

I will admit that I am a huge SK fan, but that is due to the fact that I go to a tool wholesaler that has a young guy who will cut me deals because he know that I have to spend hours under my cars just to get by. I get SK for a little more than what craftsman costs, and they make the fattest wrench that I am aware of, so it does not cut into my hand like the snap-on wrenches do.

I know there are guys who love their snap-on stuff, but as I have stated I am talking to more and more guys who have buyer's remorse after spending 50-60X as much as if they would have purchased the craftsman. They usually start to feel that way when the truck stops coming by, and the poor customer service starts. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I paid the Snap-On guy off about 4 years ago and he never came back
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#31]
At my shop Snap-On is there EVERY Wed.  If I broke somthing, he fetches me a new one.  He even gave me a couple of sockets I LOST.  Craftsman won't do that.  The problem with all the trucks is that it depends on who is driving it.  We have an ASS for a Matco guy.  I dosn't reflect on the company, but I still won't buy any.  I have about $20,000 in Snappy, and I'm 23.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Instead of spending 20k on Snap On tools, I'd rather spend 5k on Craftsman, 5k on guns, etc....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I like Craftsmen.  Cheap, lasts a long time, and if anything happens I take it to one of the billion Sears to exchange for a new one.

Craftsman is ok for the hobbiest, but pulling wrenches for living requires a bit better tools & support. Sears more often than not doesn't have shit past general wrenches & sockets.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
god damn i love usa quality. i opened a account with the snap on truck today

You're screwed now. When I wrenched for a living, I owed more to the Snap-On guy than I did to the shys.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Best.  Tool.  Ever.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
.... Although i must say my snap on 3/8 air rachet was the best 400 or so bucks i ever spent, its a beast. McM

Big +1. Got the MG 31 3/8 impact wrench  a while back and that thing just kicks ass
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#37]
How I would love to have a full set of Snap-On tools.

As of now I am living with crapsmen, now what I would prefer,  but at the plant tools have a way of walking off.

I bet in the 22 years I have been there, I have had at least $10,000 in tools walk away to new homes.

Heck the company has had 10x that amount walk away from the tool crib.

I hate thieves.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I love Snap On tools.

I get all mine from a mexican guy named Dom, who delivers them in a '72 Impala. They're in great shape too. Some of them have a slight scratch in the serial number, but otherwise are just fine.

Can't beat the cheap price, either. Heck, sometimes I trade a throw down gun for a whole mess of them! How's that for a deal??

Thumbs up for American quality!!!!!

And American entrepreneurship
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#39]
My dad used to have Snap-On tools but they got way overpriced.  He uses Craftsman and Matco and Mac now.  

For everything it's worth:

My dad is a heavy equipment mechanic.  His livliehood revolves around a good set of tools.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SK has a patent for essentially the same thing. I am sure that others do too. I used to think that snap-on was the cats pajamas too, until I realized that there was other stuff out there.

I will admit that I am a huge SK fan, but that is due to the fact that I go to a tool wholesaler that has a young guy who will cut me deals because he know that I have to spend hours under my cars just to get by. I get SK for a little more than what craftsman costs, and they make the fattest wrench that I am aware of, so it does not cut into my hand like the snap-on wrenches do.

Matco also has the same thing, but suspect that this was too expensive to manufacture, because Matco discontinued the tool without much fanfare.  I have only one combo wrench with this broaching.

I'm very familiar with SK, I have a couple of their unique flex-head ratchets, bunch of there combination wreches.  I like the SK ratchets because they have really fine teeth so that you don't have to swivel the handle too far before it clicks.  Of course this was like 30 years ago when Snap-On had had their super coarse ratchet teeth, but those were hell bent strong.  SK tools is Really good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm a tool whore too but I still have and still use a cheap set of box/open end wrenchs that I bought at the BX in 1979 for 4.99.  Made in India, they still work great after all these years.

I lose a wrench occasionally but do you think it would be one of my cheap ones?  Hell no!  It's always a craftsman and it costs me 7.99 to replace one wrench from a set I paid 9.99 for.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#42]
For me, as both a hobbyist and a professional technician, I am split on the crafty vs Snappy debate.   I have split the difference, somewhat, in that the bulk of my tools are craftsman, but some of my specialty tools are Snapon.  My favorite screwdriver is the SSDMRxx series,  I have 2 stubbies, 3 standards and one extended.  I also like snapon Ratchets.  Sockets, standard screwdrivers, pliers, and other "normal" tools are all crafty, but the critical ones, the ones I do NOT want to break, are all snapon.  I do not, however, like either of my local Snappy dealers.  I guess because I am not spending 20-30K on tools, I am not important to them.  So, I get the bulk of my snappy stuff from pawn shops, or off Ebay when I can catch a deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top