Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/31/2004 4:02:35 PM EST
I just bought a new craftsman pushmower a couple weeks ago. Its a 6.5 horse briggs and stratton 22" deck and not self propelled. I hit a small stump while cutting the other day. It didnt come to an abrupt halt as I lifted the deck as soon as I heard it hit. It stalled and I checked the blade and it was slightly bent.

So today I put a blade I had on to check how it ran and Im noticing a small miss now. I only ran it for about 2 minutes as it was getting late. I would think if I hurt the engine internals I would hear it and not in the form of an engine miss. Could it be spark related? I dont know how these little briggs and stratton motors are timed or if they even are?

Anyone have any experience with this?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:07:23 PM EST
I'm not a mower mechanic but you may have bent a rod just enough for it to not be getting the fuel compressed enough before the engine fires again. What I would do is take it back to Sears and tell them the problem. It will be up to you whether you tell them it WHAT happened. It is still under warrenty isn't it? I hope this helps. Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:10:28 PM EST
If it still under warrenty take it to get looked at. The mowers arnt hard to work on but they are a pain in the rear to tear them down to the point where you can work on them
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:15:40 PM EST
I had the same thing happen fairly recently with a Honda mower. Turned out that I bent the crank.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:20:24 PM EST
You either bent the crankshaft which is a common occurance when hitting a solid object and it isn't covered by warranty. Or you partially sheared the flywheel key which will throw the timing off, make it hard to start. Again, not covered by warranty.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:21:00 PM EST
Its very likely you bent the connecting rod or damaged the crank. They are self timed with the magnets in the flywheel passing over the coil. Sears has an excellent warranty. And thats why you pay double there. I bought a $600 pressure washer and a 5 year $200 warranty. And they told me if anything happens to it bring it back. And I will.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:29:20 PM EST
+1 on the bent crank.... common occurance.

MT
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:37:49 PM EST
That sucks guys. Thanks for the responses.

Live and learn
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:40:35 PM EST
Remember what it says on the door at Sears.... "Your satisfaction is guaranteed" Take it back & tell 'em you're not satisfied.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:59:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 5:04:51 PM EST by AR-10]

That sucks guys.

I understand your frustration.

It would be much appreciated by us all, however, if you could please refrain from using such base profanities when posting on this board. We are a civilized lot, and we strive to adhere to a code of conduct that is above such outbursts of obscene utterences. Thank you for your consideration, and I hope I don't have to resort to seeking the attention of Staff.

If you suffer from Tourrettes, please ignore the above, and post in sign language in the future.

Fig­ured I'd better edit in a fucking smily.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:20:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By AR-10:

That sucks guys.

I understand your frustration.

It would be much appreciated by us all, however, if you could please refrain from using such base profanities when posting on this board. We are a civilized lot, and we strive to adhere to a code of conduct that is above such outbursts of obscene utterences. Thank you for your consideration, and I hope I don't have to resort to seeking the attention of Staff.

If you suffer from Tourrettes, please ignore the above, and post in sign language in the future.

Fig­ured I'd better edit in a fucking smily.

I'll try to walk a straighter line my friend
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:23:25 PM EST
Well, there are alternatives to gas-powered lawnmowers, and I haven't done this lately, so

EXCUSE me, while I whip this out!

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:26:17 PM EST
I thought pretty much all mowers have a shear pin in them for when you do hit stumps and things. It's supposed to save the crankshaft from getting bent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:28:42 PM EST
Remove spark plug, have friend tip mower up by pushing down on handle, have friend pull starter rope, watch blade bolt for run out. If not excessive (mower shake bad when it runs?) you are OK with the crank. The rough run problem is probably due to a partially sheared flywheel key. The engine is running with its spark too advanced.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:52:31 PM EST
If you just got it...Take it back and say it runs like hell...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:11:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By ar50troll:
If you just got it...Take it back and say it runs like hell...

Thats not an option.

I'll look into the flywheel. Thanks alot guys.
Top Top