Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 8:57:57 PM EDT by hanau]
where is the best place to buy silver bars?
silver closed at $6.93 a oz.
called a couple of coin dealers and silver 1 oz bars where going in the $9.00 range.
i want to start buying some silver on paydays,but i can't see having to pay $2-$3 mark up on it.
so where do i need to look to find silver at close to trading price.

yes i am new in buying silver. i rather buy it 1 oz bars than buying coins.alot harder for it to be accidentally
spent.
it something that would be easier for my to buy couple times a month and maybe later down the road trading it in and getting gold.

to me i think it would be easier for me to save than having cash laying around.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:57:57 PM EDT
If you found it at spot online you'll probably end up paying a bunch in shipping so it might not come out too far off to just buy it local.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:01:05 PM EDT
I just buy mine at the Local Jeweler in the Mall, he has NO markup, he sells for whatever the current Market Price is, he even has a TV in the store he has soley for keeping up on the worth of precious metals.

And and Specop_007 is right, just buy local, shippings a bitch, I found that out the hard way too
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:06:39 PM EDT
Just buy mining stocks

PAAS
CDE
SSRI
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:08:15 PM EDT
didn't think about a jewler in the mall.
thanks i will look into them payday.

how do i know for sure, that what i buy is all silver .999% besides what is stamped on the bar?
and not just silver plated
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:18:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hanau:

how do i know for sure, that what i buy is all silver .999% besides what is stamped on the bar?

density = weight/volume
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:18:33 PM EDT
Why are you buying silver bullion? Other than a few, very short-lived spikes, the price of silver has remained remarkably flat for decades.

See for yourself:

www.kitco.com/charts/historicalsilver.html
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:17:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 11:26:16 PM EDT by SalemShooterMN]
These coin dealers have a buying price and a selling price. Buying price is usually at least $1 over the spot market price, selling price depends on greed usually $2 over spot market price.
Cash price is always cheaper price just like when you are buying a weapon of choice from your gun dealer.

Also check out USA Morgan and Peace type dollars, also dime, quarter and half dollars before 1964, ask what coin dealer has for circulated (rough, culled, poor quality) silver coins, also Canadian silver coins. US coins before 1964 are 90% silver, careful the half dollar from 1965-1969or70 are only 40% silver.
Stop in, dont call, dont act stupied or they will rip you off.
Make sure to lock-up your investment in something that cant be carried away!!
Most of my collection was bought when silver was at $4-$5 an ounce range.
I bought 2 100oz bars a few years back at $50 over spot each = a little over a grand, that was my last purchase.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:24:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:
Just buy mining stocks

PAAS
CDE
SSRI

------------------------
And you can wipe your ass with the paper they are printed on, or start a cooking fire with them if necessary.

Silver in hand will more likely be accepted in trade for goods and services......paper usually won't.

Although I have some silver, I prefer to buy ammo these days. It could be real hard to come by in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:29:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hanau:

I hope it's more than .999% silver
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:35:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tommygun2000:

Just buy mining stocks

PAAS
CDE
SSRI

------------------------
And you can wipe your ass with the paper they are printed on, or start a cooking fire with them if necessary.

Silver in hand will more likely be accepted in trade for goods and services......paper usually won't.

Although I have some silver, I prefer to buy ammo these days. It could be real hard to come by in a SHTF situation.

You expecting the economy to tank any time soon?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:36:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tommygun2000:

Just buy mining stocks

PAAS
CDE
SSRI

------------------------

100% agreement there! The same goes for old paper money like "Silver Certificate."
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:39:24 PM EDT
Precious metals are a hell of an investment

What was silver/gold trading for 25 years ago (in 2005 dollars) versus what is is going for now?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:12:49 AM EDT
so whicj is better to buy silver 1 oz bars or silver coins?

to me coins seem to be overpriced,
if you can buy a 1 oz bar for $7.83
you can buy a 1 oz 2005 silver american eagle for $9.03
why would i buy the coin?
do they gain that much value over time vs silver bar?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:31:51 AM EDT
Coins cost more/are worth more because they are minted vs refined silver bars. Except for when the Hunts tried to corner the silver market, the ratio between gold and silver price has been relatively static fo 100 years or more. You make money on the spikes. Current price is elevated over the average price in a 15 year cycle.

SRM
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:50:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 8:50:51 AM EDT by dread-pirate]
I have had good luck getting circulated silver coins on ebay for less than spot even factoring in shipping. You have to play with it alittle bit though and learn how to snipe.

Silver eagles are popular and carry a small premium over other rounds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:18:40 AM EDT
what book or web site is good on telling on what coins are worth and how much silver are in them?
Top Top