Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 11:47:33 PM EDT
i have been tring for days to figure out how to get down to NO to help. currently i cant afford to do it on my own, we should get 20 or more members and friends to go to NO and volunteer our servives to the hospitals or who ever needs them. i am sure if we showed up in force, they would lets us do security at the hospitals, maybe not roving patrols but at fixed important locations i think they would.

if we set up car pools from parts of the country we could all help with out breaking our own banks. for me round trip gas would be about 800, at $4 per gallon, plus food and water. i have all the equipment i would need, as most of us probably do.

BTW i am sort of a lurker

scott
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay home ! Donate to the Red Cross and save the hero work for real heroes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Stay home ! Donate to the Red Cross and save the hero work for real heroes.

Hey "newbie" everyone knows the Red Cross sucks, arfcommers donate to the Salvation Army.

Also plenty of "ordinary folks" are heros after a disaster. It don't require a badge and permission.

That said before anyone does ANYTHING make damn sure you would be improving and not hindering the situation with your presence.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#3]
O.K., let him add to the mess. With no training, inadequate supplies, and a desire to LURK. The Salvation Army is a great organization, sorry I didn't mention them. The ARC is an asset in this type of disaster. And yes I am a NEWB as well, just less wet behind the ears. What's your point.

I thought better of you Steyr.

BTW, how would he make it past the checkpoints?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Great idea but as a old saying goes, too many Chefs spoil the soup.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
O.K., let him add to the mess. With no training, inadequate supplies, and a desire to LURK. The Salvation Army is a great organization, sorry I didn't mention them. The ARC is an asset in this type of disaster. And yes I am a NEWB as well, just less wet behind the ears. What's your point.

I thought better of you Steyr.

BTW, how would he make it past the checkpoints?

Try reading the WHOLE THING.

That said before anyone does ANYTHING make damn sure you would be improving and not hindering the situation with your presence.

How do you know he has "no training"? Hell there was a thread tacked the other day where people with LE, military and medical backgrounds were getting organized.

I know we went down to Homestead days after Andrew and ran security patrols until the NG was firmly established. We didn't have any trouble getting in.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]
well lets see, yes i am kind of a newb, but my quals are the following, former red cross diaster first aid cert, former navy ( subs but went in to be a seal and got bounced for perminate scars in my right lung from a lung infection ) i am also a long disatnce hiker with very good survival skills, licensed master electrician, etc

the reason i am not going to the red cross, which they said i could go, but i dont want to hand out water and mre's. they also said i would most likly go to houston. i want to make a difference where it is needed, sense half the the couch cammandos here can hand out mre's
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The Lurker comment kind of set the mood.

Quote from scotty"BTW i am sort of a lurker"

With spelling like that I figure he needs to go to college first. Playing hero is man work.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well lets see, yes i am kind of a newb, but my quals are the following, former red cross diaster first aid cert, former navy ( subs but went in to be a seal and got bounced for perminate scares in my right lung from a lung infection ) i am also a long disatnce hike with very good survival skills, licensed master electrician, etc

the reason i am not going to the red cross, which they said i could go, but i dont want to hand out water and mre's. they also said i would most likly go to houston. i want to make a difference where it is needed, sense half the the couch cammandos here can hand out mre's

Looks like a typical armchair commando to me.

Seriously, there was a tacked topic the other day organizing people with useful skills. Hopefully someone can find it and link it. Better to go in organized.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

"BTW i am sort of a lurker"

Don't worry, you're new...we'll give ya a pass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

QUOTE from scotty "BTW i am sort of a lurker"

Don't worry, you're new...we'll give ya a pass.

Thanks.

If you can't afford the gas, then you must pass............

Also, your limited "ground" training makes for a major liability. I'll call on you when my sub sammich needs Mayo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#11]
just to add, i recently started my own electric contracting company, so money is tight but time is not, i dont believe in credit, so cash on hand is what i have and use
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quote from scotty "former navy ( subs but went in to be a seal and got bounced for perminate scares in my right lung from a lung infection)"

Quoted:
I'll call on you when my sub sammich needs Mayo.

Oh sorry, not that kind of SUB.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Let the professionals do it.  The hospital is not yuor personal property.  Sure, it would be nice to see it defended but what would distinguish you from a looter in the eyes of the law?

I would not recommend anyone trying to reestablish law and order unless you are a CLEO or NG under authority of the mayor/parish judge/governor.  Laws are still in effect, only enforcement is currently the problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Good intentions.

Terrible idea.

Think about the logistics guys. Once you're there, how will you support yourselves? You can only bring enough supplies to sustain yourselves for several days at best. After that, what will you do?

You'll just be more people the good guys have to get food and water too. That means in the end, trying to get involved will end up doing more harm than good.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#15]
charging handle, i am not saying the logistics are not tough, but i can carry 10 days of food, shelter, clothing, water ( and the means to purifiy more )when hiking. if i went down to NO, i would not bring shelter in my pack, so i could carry about 3 weeks of food and other gear.

now to the rest of you, i might have limited "ground" time, and i most certianly have limited time here, but i am willing to try, not just send a check. its not to run down and go gun ho, it is to help stop the good people left from getting hurt, as well as to help out in general. i also have family currently missing from NO, they got out but they did not go far enough, including an 80 YO great aunt. i also have very good friends in MS that dont have a house any more, and there are people stealing what is left of their house. you all act like you would be ready to defend your family and i want to do that as well. how many here can even say they would go if asked, and not to just shoot looters ( which is nuts, and i have read a lot of posts where people want to do that )
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:50:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Even if you are a CLEO in your state, this is an invite-only affair despite what personal connection you may have.

Now if you have an invite and are a LEO, then good luck.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife works at one of the hospitals here in Baton Rouge and they have NG troops stationed at them now.

The problems are down in NO, and you cant get to the hospitals.

Besides the looting has spread to Baton Rouge along with carjacking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top