Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2001 11:37:28 AM EDT
is this just putting electrical tape on the inside of the rings to hold the scope better???? [0j][uzi]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
No Sir-It is using a steel bar the size of the rings(1" or 30mm) and fine abrasive to run back and forth in the rings to remove any burrs and or high spots in the rings so scope sets flat in the rings with no distortion on the tube when ring tops are tightened. Also it usually prevents the rings from marring scope tube but this is usually considered as a secondary purpose. I like being able to take a scope off and it is not all gouged and marred. There are at least 2 companies making these(Sinclair and another). I made mine on my lathe. Hope this helps. Good day.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  [0j][uzi]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It is also to get the rings perfectly concentric with one each other. Some ppl also just use a wooden dowel and some polishing compound.

IAJack
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
There's nothing wrong with lapping but don't rule out the Burris Signature rings. They come with plastic inserts that center your scope on your receiver. I've been happy with them on my 700 Remington and I know other people who like them as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's nothing wrong with lapping but don't rule out the Burris Signature rings. They come with plastic inserts that center your scope on your receiver. I've been happy with them on my 700 Remington and I know other people who like them as well.
View Quote
They do more than that.  With the offset inserts you can correct scope alignment problems.  I have a '96 Swedish Mauser that has a 24" medium-weight custom barrel on it.  I built the gun for silhouette competition - out to 500 meters.  Unfortunately I couldn't get enough elevation out of the scope to adjust out to 500, so I bought the Burris rings and offset kit.  Worked great!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I am converting all of my scoped firearms to Signature Rings.  Best thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 1:38:28 AM EDT
[#8]
The Burris rings can do all those wonderful things, and I have them on a couple rifles.  But when I had a tactical rifle custom built (in 308 Win) the 'smith shuddered at the thought of all the additional pieces and plastic supporting optics.  He reccomended a Badger Ordinance tapered base (same effect as the offset inserts but only in the pointing down direction) and the same outfits rings.  Talk about sturdy!  But also rather pricey. And yes, he lapped the rings just to be sure they were aligned properly.  IMHO the beauty of the Burris Signature rings is  when you use them on a mis-aligned receiver.  The inserts are actually spherical bushings that insure there is no net torque on the scope tube and as previously mentioned if you use the offset inserts properly you can keep from having to tweak the scopes widage and elevation turrets  to extremes.
So Yeah, if you are using regular rings lay that 1" rod (or 30mm, as the case may be) onto the bottom rings and see how they line up before you  screw up that $500 scope, or use the rings with inserts and hope they stay put.
BillSP1 out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top