Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2005 6:10:54 PM EDT
leaving a big pot of water simmering on the stove in order to humidify your home
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm paranoid though when it comes to that...but I would say not to do it..
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Just buy a MR. Misty!

Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
May not be the safest thing one could do, but you certainly arent going to burn anything down....last I checked, you cant start a fire with a pot of hot water.

If you have kids around its prob a bad idea though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Unsafe.  Stop being cheap and buy a humidifier.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
leaving a big pot of water simmering on the stove in order to humidify your home

On the stove?

no...on a woodstove in a cast iron pot?  Not a problem.

BTW, Wal*Mart sells them for $20

SGtar15
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife used to do that before she bought a humidifyer but she is always home to watch it.  We still leave a pot of water on the woodburning heater.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't do it if you had younguns running around. Otherwise, go ahead.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
my humidifier broke, and it's going to warm up any day now, so I don't want to shell out the bucks for a new one (the rat bastards change the shapes of the filters all the time so you have to buy new machines or cut up the newer style filters to fit the older machines)

I had planned on not being a pussy and just putting up with dry air until it warms up. Then I woke up with a golfball size blood clot in my mouth and my face glued to my pillow from a late night nosebleed.

Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll put your eye out kid........
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Wheres the don't be cheap choice on the poll?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
With liquid water present, you can't exceed 100°C (212°F)  (well, actually it can by a couple degrees, since it's not pure water and the activity coefficient is probably less than one - but we won't get into that).

But as soon as it drys out there's nothing left to regulate the temperature.  If you put it on high and walk away, you could get that pot hotter than designed, and concievable melt then burn the plastic parts (handle, etc.).   If you left it on simmer, as you say, then I'd say no worries.  Worse that happens is it gets warm, but since simmer isn't even hot enough to cause the heating coils to glow - I don't see much danger.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
With liquid water present, you can't exceed 100°C (212°F)  (well, actually it can by a couple degrees, since it's not pure water and the activity coefficient is probably less than one - but we won't get into that).

But as soon as it drys out there's nothing left to regulate the temperature.  If you put it on high and walk away, you could get that pot hotter than designed, and concievable melt then burn the plastic parts (handle, etc.).   If you left it on simmer, as you say, then I'd say no worries.  Worse that happens is it gets warm, but since simmer isn't even hot enough to cause the heating coils to glow - I don't see much danger.  

gas stove, all metal pot, flame very low, just hot enough to get a decent amount of steam pouring off of the pot
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Like he said. Make sure it doesn't run out of water. Also, as long as your gonna do it, put a few drops of vanilla in it..smells like someones baking bread.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

gas stove, all metal pot, flame very low, just hot enough to get a decent amount of steam pouring off of the pot

That sounds trickier.  If you're absolutley sure you can run it without running out of water, then you should be fine.  The only way to test that though is to try it first.  And don't try to short-cut estimating how much time you have -  The rate of steam formation in the first hour will probably be slower than the rate in the last hour (less heat loss through the pot walls, since less water).  

Oh, and don't boil over either, because you could snuff your flame.  Nothing like a house full of gas to do your own Fight-Club scene reinactment.

I'm not sure this is a good idea.  

-Lazy
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll let you know if the place hasn't burned down in 8 hours. I'm going to sleep.

Woo Hoo!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm glad I'm not your insurance agent.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got to say, living down here in the South -- purposefully h umidifying your house has got to be the most foreign thing I have ever heard of

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I left it on while sleeping last night, and while I was at work today (that was a mistake, I just forgot about it in my rush to get out in the morning).

No problems.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I left it on while sleeping last night, and while I was at work today (that was a mistake, I just forgot about it in my rush to get out in the morning).

No problems.

What happens when all your water boils out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Just boil 2 gallons of grease on your stove and then go outside to talk to youe neighbor while its on the stove set at 11,
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I think if you feel the need to ask the question, it is unsafe.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No problems.

You're posting from the homeless shelter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top