Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 11:33:04 PM EDT
My roomate is a dirty person by nature.  Its annoying, but somewhat acceptable since my roomates and our friends are in the 21-24 age range.  Empty 40 bottles and fast food wrappers on the floor are commonplace here, but the dirtieness (spelling?) has reached the point of my roomate not showering.  If this wasn't bad enough he usually passes out without his shoes on the couch and recently the stank of unwashed feet has been rubbed into it.  Thankfully for me chain smoking has killed my sense of smell, but my friends and other roomate will point it out while at the apartment or when smelly roomate visits a friends place.  How the hell do I tell him to clean up, subtle hints don't work and my friends have seriously considered having an intervention.  After killing half a bottle of freebreeze I'm reaching the end of the rope.  Any hints?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Hints?

Why not just tell him?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Be direct....also let him know that, unlike him, you expect to get laid at some point in your life and his stank is preventing it from happening.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you stare at him while he showers?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
that could actually be a very bad sign that he is having emotional problems.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Since hints didn't work, deal with it head on.

"Dude!  What the fuck is your problem?  We're all a *bit* piggy but you've turned into a skank-assed HOG, you reek and and you're making it impossible to live here.  Clean up your act, LITTERALY, or else."

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]
"Do you like hanging around mens locker rooms?"
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Pour a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water over him when he's sleepin and throw him a scrub brush....yuk!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
OR just spray him down with right guard when ever you walk by.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hints?

Why not just tell him?

Everytime I try to tell him he just laughs about how dirty he his and doesn't actually do anything about it.

USGI_45, he may have emotional issues, but this is a lazy issue.  After work his first priority is getting wasted, this causes him to be running late in the AM so he won't have time to shower.  Once he comes home he won't shower then cause the only thing on his mind is getting wasted.  Its a vicisious and very smelly cycle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#11]
You need to move out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#12]
When he's sleeping coat him in a fine layer of Oust.  Kills the bacteria that causes the odors :)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Once he gets wasted, drag him outside and hose him off. Its winter, so he'll get the message PDQ. If not, he catches hypothermia and the cold keeps the smell down.

Either way its a win!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Follow him around with a can of Lysol, spraying everything he touches.

Get a gas mask at the surplus store and wear it whenever he is home.

Throw his shit out on the front lawn and burn it.

Get a new roommate.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Had a roomate in college who's feet were a microbiologist's nightmare...and he always slept with his feet outside the sheets.
You literally had to bellycrawl thru the room to avoid the stench.
He got one warning:
... but he finally saw benefits of washing his feet thoroughly before bedtime, in addition to shower time.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Is he growing dreads or anything like that? Those can be some stinky folks after they haven't bathed in a  while.

Maybe hes just plain lazy. Most normal folks outgrow the no-showering thing earlier in life when it impacts on their social abilities.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#17]
TC brings up a point...best slap some patchouli on the guy and buy him a wardrobe made entirely out of hemp, including those stupid bead necklaces that look like they are made out of rope.

[cartman]....They wanna save the world, but they just smoke pot and smell bad....[/cartman]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#18]
He gives up showering.

You give up refraining from changing the locks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:48:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Gross.  I'm disgusted just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:23:55 AM EDT
[#20]
A few friends, giant scrub brushes, lye, and a firehose should take care of the problem.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:44:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
that could actually be a very bad sign that he is having emotional MENTALproblems.

Been there, done that.  Run!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#22]

When I was in the Boy Scouts we were very close do doing this to one guy who did not shower after 4 days in camp.  We were going to be there for 2 weeks and we were not going to take it any longer.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hints?

Why not just tell him?

Everytime I try to tell him he just laughs about how dirty he his and doesn't actually do anything about it.

USGI_45, he may have emotional issues, but this is a lazy issue.  After work his first priority is getting wasted, this causes him to be running late in the AM so he won't have time to shower.  Once he comes home he won't shower then cause the only thing on his mind is getting wasted.  Its a vicisious and very smelly cycle.

Can't have a beer in the shower?  When I was in college on football game days we weren't allowed to shower or brush our teeth until we had at least one beer.  Then when you took a shower you had a full beer when you went in and it better be empty by the time you got out.  House rules for game days.
Point is if he is wanting to get waisted in can drink in the shower.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:45:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Dude,
He needs help. Personal Hygiene or the lack of is one of the stages of emotional despair and depression. What are his sleeping habits? How is he doing in school?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:00:07 AM EDT
[#25]
throw him in the shower over time he passes out
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Gee, a benefit of heavy smoking.

I'm starting to feel a little queasy just imagining what your place must smell like.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Had a roomate in college who's feet were a microbiologist's nightmare...and he always slept with his feet outside the sheets.
You literally had to bellycrawl thru the room to avoid the stench.
He got one warning:
... but he finally saw benefits of washing his feet thoroughly before bedtime, in addition to shower time.

Blanket party, eh?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top