Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 8:57:46 AM EDT
I have a 403(b) from eons ago, small amount ($2000.)

I was told I could roll it over into my current 401(k)

Is there a reason I shouldn't do that?

A coworker said there were some tax advantages to 403(b) but could not elaborate.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Roll it into an IRA.  there are advantages with regards to inheritance tax if something would happen to both you and your wife.  IOW, if you would die, your wife could inherit with out tax in any situation, however if it goes to children they would pay tax on it.
It also puts all the money in a fund that only you can get at.  I see no advantage in rolling into a 403b.
I am surprised they didn't force you to roll it over already.  Most companies have a 5K cuttoff for rolling over or taking funds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top